Extending towing range with Assist motors in the trailer.

Okanoganjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3 motor
Occupation
Retired, now small business owner
Country flag
Towing, even with a Diesel pickup takes a heavy toll on range. My truck seems to go 1/2 as far on a tank when towing my Fifth wheel. A way to improve upon this could be for Towed RV manufactures to include electric motors on two wheels of the trailer, and s structural battery pack in the floor. These motors would not need to be super powerful, but enough to provide an improvement in towing range. The motors could be controlled by the Towing vehicle through the standard connector. I think a CT towing a electric assisted Airstream would be fantastic!
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Towing, even with a Diesel pickup takes a heavy toll on range. My truck seems to go 1/2 as far on a tank when towing my Fifth wheel. A way to improve upon this could be for Towed RV manufactures to include electric motors on two wheels of the trailer, and s structural battery pack in the floor. These motors would not need to be super powerful, but enough to provide an improvement in towing range. The motors could be controlled by the Towing vehicle through the standard connector. I think a CT towing a electric assisted Airstream would be fantastic!

Maybe steerable traction and batteries could be part of a detachable 5th wheel module that makes a non-swivel lock to trailer 5th wheel pin and then has adapter for Cybertruck bumper hitch.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Being able to tow a heavy trailer 1000 miles would be fantastic.

But we can't tow that range with a standard ICE truck, and I haven't seen a push for assisted ICE trailers.

All the power to people who are after extended range, but charging location will be everywhere, aka fuel stations in the old days.

If running out of fuel, just stop and fill er up, and go have a piss.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Already been done. Check out the Lightship 1:

https://lightshiprv.com/
Already been done proposed...

There, fixed it for you. Lightship hasn't "done" it (yet?🤔), and even Airstream seems to have abandoned the idea. Airstream and Porsche partnered up, insinuating a powered travel trailer, but have since changed their EV friendly trailer to just a lightweight and aerodynamic one instead.

Lightship has at least been explicit about a drivetrain powered travel trailer, but hasn't made a drivetrain powered travel trailer prototype... yet. They haven't even decided how the drive wheels and regen trailer braking will be controlled. THAT is going to be a difficult system to devise. Will it be a surge controller on the tongue? or a more complicated system relying on highly accurate (like millimeter accurate) speed or distance sensors that control the gain and boost?

I have a deposit down on a Lightship, but I'm not counting on any being delivered, for a loooooong time, if ever. 🤨

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Last edited:

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Already been done proposed...

There, fixed it for you. Lightship hasn't "done" it (yet?🤔), and even Airstream seems to have abandoned the idea. Airstream and Porsche partnered up, insinuating a powered travel trailer, but have since changed their EV friendly trailer to just a lightweight and aerodynamic one instead.

Lightship has at least been explicit about a drivetrain powered travel trailer, but hasn't made a drivetrain powered travel trailer prototype... yet. They haven't even decided how the drive wheels and regen trailer braking will be controlled. THAT is going to be a difficult system to devise. Will it be a surge controller on the tongue? or a more complicated system relying on highly accurate (like millimeter accurate) speed or distance sensors that control the gain and boost?

I have a deposit down on a Lightship, but I'm not counting on any being delivered, for a loooooong time, if ever. 🤨
Lightship is currently building a factory in Broomfield, Colorado and expect to have Lightships rolling out in "2024".

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are alot of people who are in them more often than that.

I had an uncle that commuted in three hours to LA in an RV, parked it in the company parking lot, he and his wife would use it for clothes changes while they worked in the city then back to Sun City for the weekend. I thought it was nuts.

I've known many snowbirds in my life, too, or half-years. So many people live a more itinerant life. It's kinda weird, but ya know, if they can reduce their footprint, all the better.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Wow... Watching the promo video on the site, probably the point that is touted the most about that airstream is that it will be garagable. How many garages do peeps have these days? Between the CT barely fitting in the garage and now a travel trailer in there, where do they intend to keep the tools? The etsy nick-nacks? That extra baby stroller? Or heaven forbid.... Their car? I'm starting to think that people are building 3 level houses so that they can use the whole first level exclusively as multiple garages and then live in the top 2 levels. Maybe I'm supposed to take a hint by the fact that the car they drive is a Porsche.

Ahhhh..... But apparently these are not sitting in the driveway. Seems that people have enough money to build a garage around it for that 90% of the time. So clearly the price of the trailer isn't the issue.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
There are alot of people who are in them more often than that.

I had an uncle that commuted in three hours to LA in an RV, parked it in the company parking lot, he and his wife would use it for clothes changes while they worked in the city then back to Sun City for the weekend. I thought it was nuts.

I've known many snowbirds in my life, too, or half-years. So many people live a more itinerant life. It's kinda weird, but ya know, if they can reduce their footprint, all the better.

-Crissa
My grandmother retired to an RV, then after several years would winter in Texas and drive the rest of the year.

At one point my mom lived in Borrego Springs and commuted 2-3 hours one way to Miramar (San Diego).

I would love to retire to an RV… I have tried to convince my wife we could do it now…

My family loves to travel… 🤷
Sponsored