Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Once ICE car numbers decline and gas sales decline, where are the states/feds going to get that tax revenue?
Well, we'll change to per-mile registration. Electrics already have a registration surcharge equal to 10k miles of a median vehicle fuel tax, beginning this year.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Once ICE car numbers decline and gas sales decline, where are the states/feds going to get that tax revenue? The cost of each gallon of gas includes a considerable percent of tax revenue. For example, in MO, each gallon of gas includes 17.42 cents of state tax and 18.40 cents of federal tax. Standard Unleaded is $1.96 today resulting in 18%+ of the price going to the government in taxes. California state tax is much more at 62.47 cents per gallon.

This will have to be replaced somewhere. Maybe they start taxing (or increase taxes) on electricity?

Not saying we shouldn't be transitioning away from oil, but I wonder what the 'unintended consequences' are going to be of some of this new legislation.
They could progressively raise the gas tax as more people drive ev gas prices are going to decline and something has to keep the price high or some people will just use alot of gas.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They could progressively raise the gas tax as more people drive ev gas prices are going to decline and something has to keep the price high or some people will just use alot of gas.
The problem is that there aren't vehicle replacements for all sectors, and most of the older vehicles are owned by people who can't buy EVs yet.

I would suggest phasing out new registrations based upon fuel efficiency in class beginning this year and not hitting the used market at all at first. Then follow up with funding a cash for clunkers bil later.

And that's probably what we'll have in the end.

-Crissa

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Where are they going to get or produce the electricity needed to make this happen, If you remember they were on rolling blackouts again this summer because they won't build Nuclear plants, or Gas fired, or coal-fired, or even Hydroelectric plants. So are they going to buy more power from Arizona or Oregon? Elections have consequences.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Will never happen. The oil and ICE manufacturing lobbies are way too strong. I point to the EV1
Unrealistic because Cal has a shortage of electricity now, and such a law could push more to diesel than to batteries anyway, hardly a path to clean air.

Oops -- correction. Apparently it's not new "gas" vehicles to be banned but any that emit toxins (which would include diesels). And that are made for passengers.

(So I wonder if new cars could be sold if containing only a driver's seat, the rest of the space supposedly for cargo. Then, if someone wants to sell after-market seats, ....)

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Where are they going to get or produce the electricity needed to make this happen, If you remember they were on rolling blackouts again this summer because they won't build Nuclear plants, or Gas fired, or coal-fired, or even Hydroelectric plants. So are they going to buy more power from Arizona or Oregon? Elections have consequences.
Hmmm.... Thought the blackouts were to prevent sparking wildfires as happen in 2019 but It turns out that yes it was high demand from heat.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Most of us in California are going Solar! That's why at least having V2H or V2V is important. Elon totally sidestepped that question and clearly wants to sell Powerwalls. I hate to say it, but his answer on battery day was full of crap. A powerwall is expensive and doesn't come close to storing the energy a CT can. And I'll already have the damn CT. He talks like you could wake up and your battery would be empty. How much power does your house use at night while your sleeping, plus a CT has enough storage capacity for the average household use for 3-4 days! Oh and what about the fact that most of us will have at least 2 cars. Currently in my household we have 4 vehicles parked most of the time. It's super rare to not have at least 2 of them parked at my house. Why the heck not store extra energy from the solar in the batteries of the vehicles?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Most of us in California are going Solar! That's why at least having V2H or V2V is important. Elon totally sidestepped that question and clearly wants to sell Powerwalls. I hate to say it, but his answer on battery day was full of crap. A powerwall is expensive and doesn't come close to storing the energy a CT can. And I'll already have the damn CT. He talks like you could wake up and your battery would be empty. How much power does your house use at night while your sleeping, plus a CT has enough storage capacity for the average household use for 3-4 days! Oh and what about the fact that most of us will have at least 2 cars. Currently in my household we have 4 vehicles parked most of the time. It's super rare to not have at least 2 of them parked at my house. Why the heck not store extra energy from the solar in the batteries of the vehicles?
You do know cybertruck already has v2h. That's what the plug in the bed is.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You do know cybertruck already has v2h. That's what the plug in the bed is.
I may be totally wrong, but I'm thinking the transfer of energy would be way better through the charging port then through the outlets in the bed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We only have a shortage during certain hours of the day when weather is especially hot across the state. These conditions are usually pretty uncommon.

EVs can charge or discharge on a schedule, as the vast majority won't be going anywhere or needing to charge at at point in time. While plugged in, they can charge on a schedule, like when the solar panels are at maximum. And whle to a house they could act like a powerwall (or more near-term, just provide power that's not coming from the grid).

So they'll actually reduce our need for energy, not increase.

-Crissa

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag

-Crissa
You should probably say "reduce our need for PEAK energy". Driving an EV will (usually) increase a household's overall electric energy use.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
We only have a shortage during certain hours of the day when weather is especially hot across the state. These conditions are usually pretty uncommon.

EVs can charge or discharge on a schedule, as the vast majority won't be going anywhere or needing to charge at at point in time. While plugged in, they can charge on a schedule, like when the solar panels are at maximum. And whle to a house they could act like a powerwall (or more near-term, just provide power that's not coming from the grid).

-Crissa
My thoughts are that the more people with EV's will mean more people going solar. And if they figure out a way to use those EV batteries for storage, it will greatly reduce the need for GRID energy. And, have the benifit of going to renewable energy. WIN, WIN!!!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should probably say "reduce our need for PEAK energy". Driving an EV will (usually) increase a household's overall electric energy use.
No, I said energy, as EVs consume far less energy to do the same thing. It will also reduce our peak electricity consumption.

-Crissa

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
No, I said energy, as EVs consume far less energy to do the same thing. It will also reduce our peak electricity consumption.

-Crissa
Yes, you did say that. While replying to a post about grid needs. No need to get upset.
You also said
We only have a shortage during certain hours of the day
which I didn't notice before I responded and is exactly what my response said.

Status
Not open for further replies.