egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I was blown away by Battery Day. Seems like people are hung up on the million-mile battery and V2G. What I saw this week was more than game-changing. It's world-changing. Tesla is setting themselves up even further for their mission of sustainability and I can't wait to get my CT so I can be a bigger part of that.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I was blown away by Battery Day. Seems like people are hung up on the million-mile battery and V2G. What I saw this week was more than game-changing. It's world-changing. Tesla is setting themselves up even further for their mission of sustainability and I can't wait to get my CT so I can be a bigger part of that.

Agree. That is why I hate seeing so much speculation in the media and even discussion boards. You set up unreal expectations, then disappointment. And it is one reason Elon needs to keep his cards a little closer to the vest than he does. Twitter is often not his friend.

Had he said nothing, then announced everything he had said — just as he had said — the technosphere, reporters and Vloggers would have been recovering from the mind-blowing strokes that they would have had from this impressive news. Greater than 50% improvement?! Vastly reduced costs?! Holy Battery Day, Batman! Instead we had respectable Vloggers on YouTube and other EV media sites saying we were getting 1,000 miles per charge and other stuff leading to disappointment and falling stocks prices. TSLA should have risen after Battery Day (had I more disposable cash I would have taken the opportunity to buy more stock).

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
the issue is (I think), they didn't do a good job of explaining to the layman what all this means.

As someone who is pretty technical minded and loves science, engineering, chemistry, design, etc. what they are doing is beautiful and very impressive.

If i wasn't technical minded (like most people) this was nothing amazing, and pretty boring, people want huge claims, huge interesting displays, something to make them say WOW that's amazing.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
the issue is (I think), they didn't do a good job of explaining to the layman what all this means.

As someone who is pretty technical minded and loves science, engineering, chemistry, design, etc. what they are doing is beautiful and very impressive.

If i wasn't technical minded (like most people) this was nothing amazing, and pretty boring, people want huge claims, huge interesting displays, something to make them say WOW that's amazing.
I'm guessing people who aren't interested in the tech wanted to hear how the tech directly affects their products. For example, "Because of these developments, we will soon be able to drop the price of the Model 3 by $5000 while increasing its range by 100 miles." I picked random numbers, but I think that's the type of thing non-tech people hoped to hear. Improvements to the process, in this view, doesn't directly affect consumers until we see a smaller price and/or better specs in products.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They can't say things like pre-announce price drops lest they lose current sales.

So they announced cost drops which were frankly amazing.

-Crissa

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
They can't say things like pre-announce price drops lest they lose current sales.

So they announced cost drops which were frankly amazing.

-Crissa
I fully agree. I just think there were people who probably expected price drops and/or spec improvements. I'm very impressed with what we got.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

I mean, what is difficult to understand about "twice the range at half the cost" ? :)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mean, what is difficult to understand about "twice the range at half the cost" ? :)
But they never actually said that. Usually elon would awkwardly say exactly that and more. Instead they kept it very low key. And made people decifer that from the data.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
But they never actually said that. Usually elon would awkwardly say exactly that and more. Instead they kept it very low key. And made people decifer that from the data.
true. and it's not actually double the range, it's a 50% increase. But you know, I'm good at math (scored in the top 2% of the nation on SAT math 40 years ago), so to me it's obvious. :)

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I agree.... people were too fixated on a couple of things and missed the importance of what was said.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
What non technically minded people want and expect is FM. As one article I saw said "If you weren't excited about what was presented on battery day you probably didn't understand it.

On to the video: The two things that I took note of were his pronouncement that Must was and always has been sandbagging. Hmm. Interesting thing to think about.

The other thing that really surprised me were his comments about 800V systems. Wow! Doesn't he realize that charging speed now seems to have surpassed range anxiety as a major consideration by would be BEV purchasers? Isn't he aware that many of the problems with more stringent insulation requirements and more robust semiconductors have been solved? Doesn't he know that Rivian has a patent that allows them to charge their 400 V battery from an 800V charger? I'm most interested in that as I think it would be of interest to Tesla and it seems to me that the scheme is so non "non-obvious" that it might escape patent protection as prior-art.

Of course the man is pretty smart. Perhaps he knows of some plan Tesla may have to allow double speed charging on their 400 V cars (like what they plan to do with the Semi).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Doesn't he know that Rivian has a patent that allows them to charge their 400 V battery from an 800V charger?
Yes. And it's a terrible patent which stops anyone else from doing the most obvious thing as throwing relays around the battery pack to re-align it to a different voltage.

Which is why Elon dismissed 800v archetecture.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. And it's a terrible patent which stops anyone else from doing the most obvious thing as throwing relays around the battery pack to re-align it to a different voltage.

Which is why Elon dismissed 800v archetecture.

-Crissa
Why not just make it 801v or 750? Seems ez to do it if they wanted.
Sponsored