600+ Range For Cybertruck

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Some truck drivers that work in teams (in shifts, one drives while the other sleeps) make long miles without long stops. In those cases Tesla Semi is not a good fit...
With FSD maybe the driver is sleeps for 5-6 hours. Car wakes driver up when needed.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No disrespect, but I totally disagree with this extrapolation. It was very recently determined that the original 500 miles of range had been upped to 560 miles of range as confirmed by 2 credible sources (engineers) within Tesla. This was discussed on The Ride the lightning Podcast a number of weeks ago. https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/ride-the-lightning-podcast-tri-motor-cybertruck-will-have-560-miles-range-different-steering-wheel-from-prototype/
Elon's comments about the semi were likely strictly about the semi as they will have completely different battery pack configurations. We know they will be using the same cell and even the same cell composition, but the semi, with the ability to tow 88,000lbs is going to have many more packs, have a completely different pack configuration, and weigh considerably more than the CT. For these reasons, I dont think you can extrapolate the range numbers down to the CT. I think the 560mi confirmation from 2 different engineers commenting on the CT itself is likely the best estimate we will have for a while until the test mules hit the road once the factory is completed.
The CT will use the same battery as the Tesla Semi, the 4680, which is new.

Once again, Elon said, and take note, over time.... which is what I meant as well. In other words the CT, over time, could get 600+ mile range.

How hard is that to understand? I think your extrapolation of what I said is off.

So I think since the Tesla Semi was originally said to have, at most, a 500 mile range. So did the CT.

My guess was that it's because of the 4680 and possibly cell configuration that the CT, over time, could get a boost in range as well.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The CT will use the same battery as the Tesla Semi, the 4680, which is new.
That's a cell, not 'the battery pack'. They will certainly use different battery packs.

In other words the CT, over time, could get 600+ mile range.
That is not what that means. The Semi is much larger than the Cybertruck and uses far more energy to get that range. They're incomparable, even if they use the same cells.

An Energica uses the same cells as a Model S and gets only a third to a quarter of the range. Because they are not the same otherwise.

-Crissa

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They will certainly use different battery packs.
Ok, different in what way?

That is not what that means.
It can mean a lot of things if you want it to I suppose. But Elon stated in the video starting @02:51 "now along the way there will be improvements in energy density which really translates into improvements in range" and "in pursuit of lower cost batteries you actually end up in a lot of cases with improved energy density which also gets more range"

An Energica uses the same cells as a Model S and gets only a third to a quarter of the range. Because they are not the same otherwise.
I have no idea what Energica is really; I may have read about it at some point but it would be helpful to give more details. There could many reasons why the range is not the same such as weight, aerodynamics, tires, Cd, etc.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Why does everyone think when Elon says "eventually" he means now? He doesn't even mean now when he says "now".
Not only that, but he could always simply defer to another topic; take a different question, and leave the questioner hanging. Might actually be a good strategy! Figuring 2 years from the unveiling of the CT, I estimated delivery 3 years hence. Then Tesla Chat told me I MIGHT get mine by mid 2021. I hope not! I'll have to go to the bank! But with Austin Gigafactory rolling along at 24/7, it might just (in my dreams) be possible. In the meantime I drive a 1993 Dodge Ram beater

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I have a good friend who's been a long-haul trucker for the last 35 years. In speaking with him about the Tesla Semi, he says nothing short of a 1000 mile rang will work for what he does. I think the Tesla Semi will work for a lot of applications, just maybe not long-haul.
if he drives 1000+ miles in a day I'd agree....but I'll bet he doesn't and therefore less range is just fine. He is likely just fearing change to EV transport....His truck can charge as he sleeps.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, different in what way?
Well, the battery pack will be built into the Cybertruck as a structural member. So it will take a different shape completely.

The Semi is much larger, and consumes a much larger amount of energy. It will probably have 2-4x the cells than in the Cybertruck.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well, the battery pack will be built into the Cybertruck as a structural member. So it will take a different shape completely.

The Semi is much larger, and consumes a much larger amount of energy. It will probably have 2-4x the cells than in the Cybertruck.

-Crissa
Interesting thought though... Even if the Semi has 4x the cells of the CT, the Semi is supposed to be fully laden fir the 621 range. So even if the CT is “only” towing a 14,000 lb trailer there should be plenty of range available.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
... So even if the CT is “only” towing a 14,000 lb trailer there should be plenty of range available.
Well, not really. Because a full-sized trailer will have the same or worse aerodynamic profile than the Semi.

That's why having some sort of adaptive shroud or fifth-wheel goose will be important. You'll want to link the aerodynamics of the Cybertruck into the trailer to reduce its profile.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
The thing is... the CT can have as much range as they want, just put more cells in it. I agree with others, comparing semi range to CT range is pointless.

We can extrapolate the semi will have the equivalent of 3 to 4 CT packs. I havnt done any math but that's an educated-ish guess

Deleted member 5322

I would be happy if CT has a 700 EPA range. That means the real practical range is going to be just above 550

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I certainly hope CTguy's suggestion shows up and we can have dynamic charging and expanded packs for longer trips.

Even I go where there's no chargers. But it would be silly to haul all that around all the time.

-Crissa
Sponsored