The Tesla Cybertruck’s steel exterior doesn’t need wraps to look stunning.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The Tesla Cybertruck’s steel exterior doesn’t need wraps to look stunning
By Simon Alvarez
December 6, 2020

The Tesla Cybertruck is a stainless steel beast of a pickup truck, and this is highlighted by the fact that it’s not even going to be painted. Elon Musk has mentioned that owners of the Cybertruck would be able to wrap their all-electric pickups with any color or pattern as they see fit. Yet considering that the Cybertruck is built with cold-rolled stainless steel, the vehicle may actually not need customized wraps to make it unique.

All it would take is some heat. Or a lot of it, for that matter.

Tesla Cybertruck The Tesla Cybertruck’s steel exterior doesn’t need wraps to look stunning. 1607302286482

When tempered, cold-rolled steel changes colors. These colors span a pretty decent range of shades from bright silver to yellow to purple to blue and grayish-green. Elon Musk has responded positively to the idea of the Cybertruck’s exterior being tempered, with the CEO even joking that he would choose a “Blue Steel” option for his personal truck, a reference to the comedy film Zoolander.

Tesla enthusiast @TheCyberCamper recently gave a shot at simulating how the different shades of tempered steel would look on the hulking steel vehicle, and the results are actually really good. Based on the Tesla enthusiast’s simulated shades, it appears that tempered steel could give the Cybertruck a subtle, unique range of colors.
Tesla Cybertruck The Tesla Cybertruck’s steel exterior doesn’t need wraps to look stunning. 1607302343699

The range of colors that result from the Cybertruck’s tempered steel actually seems to have more personality than the current paint options available for the Model S, Model 3, Model X, and Model Y, which, for now, could be summed up as white, black, blue, gray, and red. Granted, the chances of Tesla actually offering tempered steel color options for the Cybertruck may seem slim, but there’s no denying that such shades do make the vehicle even more eye-catching.

The Cybertruck is arguably Tesla’s boldest vehicle to date. With an extremely angular, origami-like design and a stainless steel exoskeleton, the Cybertruck is extremely durable. It’s also priced very aggressively, with the base variant starting below $40,000 and the top-tier tri-motor version being priced below $70,000 before options. The vehicle is expected to enter production sometime next year at Gigafactory Texas, which is currently undergoing construction.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-paint-color-options/
Sponsored

~Jek~

First Name
Jekare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor CT reserved, LR AWD Model 3 on order, 2011 Smart Fortwo
Country flag
Heres the issue with that.

In order to do this type of treatment you would have to disassemble the ENTIRE vehicle to remove anything that can't handle those temperatures. All interior, windows, the whole drive train, the battery pack etc... (and you cant remove the batteries if its a cell to chassis installation like Elon wants)

After all that work you'd be looking at an astronomical cost compared to just wrapping it. Oh and if you change your mind on a wrap its changeable, this isn't.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I imagine the raw material would have to be heat treated as it was rolled off the spool, prior to being cut, scored, bent and welded.

I suppose it would be cool to have a SS gun metal blue Cybertruck.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Kinda iffy at best. I'd hate to be the guy who melted the wiring harness and fused it to the exoskeleton... unless you, naw just forget it. It's as handsome a truck as you're going to want, as is. It ain't broke, don't fix it 'till it is.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I imagine the raw material would have to be heat treated as it was rolled off the spool, prior to being cut, scored, bent and welded.

I suppose it would be cool to have a SS gun metal blue Cybertruck.
I can see a lot of folks sitting in their garages with a hot air gun waving over the truck skin for hours on end to get the desired color.

Wondering how many will give up and end with a tiger stripe pattern after they get tired of hot gunning their truck. o_O

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The Tesla Cybertruck’s steel exterior doesn’t need wraps to look stunning
By Simon Alvarez
December 6, 2020

The Tesla Cybertruck is a stainless steel beast of a pickup truck, and this is highlighted by the fact that it’s not even going to be painted. Elon Musk has mentioned that owners of the Cybertruck would be able to wrap their all-electric pickups with any color or pattern as they see fit. Yet considering that the Cybertruck is built with cold-rolled stainless steel, the vehicle may actually not need customized wraps to make it unique.

All it would take is some heat. Or a lot of it, for that matter.

1607302286482.jpeg

When tempered, cold-rolled steel changes colors. These colors span a pretty decent range of shades from bright silver to yellow to purple to blue and grayish-green. Elon Musk has responded positively to the idea of the Cybertruck’s exterior being tempered, with the CEO even joking that he would choose a “Blue Steel” option for his personal truck, a reference to the comedy film Zoolander.

Tesla enthusiast @TheCyberCamper recently gave a shot at simulating how the different shades of tempered steel would look on the hulking steel vehicle, and the results are actually really good. Based on the Tesla enthusiast’s simulated shades, it appears that tempered steel could give the Cybertruck a subtle, unique range of colors.
1607302343699.jpeg

The range of colors that result from the Cybertruck’s tempered steel actually seems to have more personality than the current paint options available for the Model S, Model 3, Model X, and Model Y, which, for now, could be summed up as white, black, blue, gray, and red. Granted, the chances of Tesla actually offering tempered steel color options for the Cybertruck may seem slim, but there’s no denying that such shades do make the vehicle even more eye-catching.

The Cybertruck is arguably Tesla’s boldest vehicle to date. With an extremely angular, origami-like design and a stainless steel exoskeleton, the Cybertruck is extremely durable. It’s also priced very aggressively, with the base variant starting below $40,000 and the top-tier tri-motor version being priced below $70,000 before options. The vehicle is expected to enter production sometime next year at Gigafactory Texas, which is currently undergoing construction.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-paint-color-options/
"Cybertruck’s steel exterior doesn’t need wraps to look stunning"

Sure, Simon, especially as long as they remain rather scarce. But when there's one on every block, some owners might want a more distinctive appearance. And if any vehicle's configuration screams, "Wrap me, wrap me," it's the CT's.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Lots of negativity in this thread for some reason. A “pale straw” color cybertruck would be sick! Does anyone know how this heat treat would affect the hardness or structural properties of the steel? I fear that you might end up relieving the internal stresses which make cold rolled steel so strong. If it works structurally then I can see someone doing this to their truck

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Lots of negativity in this thread for some reason.
I would say that people are starved for new information and that, along with Elon's declaration that the finished design would be revealed "in a month or so." We'll, it has been a month or so and I am personally a bit stir crazy to find out. Maybe that is the root of this "negativity."

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There seems to be a few posters who do random drive-by negative posts randomly no matter the topic ^-^

Most of the posts seem eager and positive, in my opinion. Even people I have blocked. ...because it still alerts me to their posts sometimes.

-Crissa

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Elon's declaration that the finished design would be revealed "in a month or so." We'll, it has been a month or so and I am personally a bit stir crazy to find out.
There is a lot of truth in it...
I would like to hear something about "the rest of the world deliverys..."

But back to the topic of this (misplaced or no) tread:

I have an idea that can only work on CT and Starship.

It wil make it stand out even more and desirable for the customers.

How about using a powerfull laser ?? This tool shurely would still fit in at T erra T exas.

A faned out burst of laserlight should heat up only the upper portion of the Exterior metall sheets.

it can be tailored to the desired colour.​
it can be done to the finished vehicle​
it will not affect any other surfaces than metall (by software)​
it does not need cover tape​
there is no problem with any chemicals like oxidizer​
it is removable by polishing.​
it is a fully automated process.​
no extra parts needed​
it is inexpensive, just some "sun power" from the TT roof​
it can be combined with engraving the metall with laser by cranking up the power.​
it can also put instructions (or numbers like VIN ?) in the metall.​

And the best :
You can put logos, two tone yes even multi tone artwork on the CT.

I envision it as part of the ordering process.

You can even upload your own artwork.
A picture of a loved one, a landscape, a couple of nice words............ limitless possibilitys.

If you find my idea is good please somebody forward it to @elon, THX

btw. it would be a nice if this idea earns me a free "TESLASAR Custom Exterior", yes a TLE.?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's hard to control blossoming from heat-treated surfaces, but it would be really cool ^-^ Each dot would be itself a rainbow effect around the edges, and your success at making an image would be how small you could make that transition zone without damaging the steel (introducing microfractures) itself.

-Crissa
Sponsored