Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
One of the things I’d really like to see on my new cyber truck is the ability to program the upper light bar with different configurations.
Such as the ability to turn it from a white front light to a amber front light similar to the lights that are on top of trucks currently.
It could also be program to be used as part of the emergency flasher system.
Also the possibility of upper sequential turn signal’s.
And while I’m dreaming, the ability to alter the intensity of the light so that if your using as a front amber top light you could lower its brightness.
Elon, what’s your thoughts on this option?
Forum, your thoughts?
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Personally I’d like to have a night vision mode that makes all the lights on/in the truck either turn off or switch to red like the lights in a black and white darkroom. The red light allows your eyes to still see without having to adjust between lighter and darker views. This would be awesome for star watching or other night time activities.

Though it might be dangerous if you try to drive in night vision mode.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
One of the things I’d really like to see on my new cyber truck is the ability to program the upper light bar with different configurations.
Such as the ability to turn it from a white front light to a amber front light similar to the lights that are on top of trucks currently.
And while I’m dreaming, the ability to alter the intensity of the light so that if your using as a front amber top light you could lower its brightness.
Forum, your thoughts?
There are many laws and regulations governing lights.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Forum, your thoughts?
I'm ambivalent on emergency flasher.... on one hand the flasher warns people of road side hazard so they can avoid it but it can also cause people to crash .
Emergency vehicles get carried away with flashing lights, fire trucks have spinners on the front etc and yet some people still don't get out of the way, the truth is no amount of lights / sirens are going to break through to some people... you can't fix stupid.
Also cop cars keep getting hit by the side of the road and they look like an epileptic Christmas tree. The gut says add more lights to help catch attention but it can actually cause people to crash into the hazard. People steer toward what the are looking at and they go into the light.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Forum, your thoughts?
This has been suggested/wished for several times but to a much broader degrees. Programmability of all interior and exterior lights. I would be very surprised if this has in any way escaped their attention but we’ll see if and how it gets deployed.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Dids... Thanks for the first laugh of the day.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'm ambivalent on emergency flasher.... on one hand the flasher warns people of road side hazard so they can avoid it but it can also cause people to crash .
Emergency vehicles get carried away with flashing lights, fire trucks have spinners on the front etc and yet some people still don't get out of the way, the truth is no amount of lights / sirens are going to break through to some people... you can't fix stupid.
Also cop cars keep getting hit by the side of the road and they look like an epileptic Christmas tree. The gut says add more lights to help catch attention but it can actually cause people to crash into the hazard. People steer toward what the are looking at and they go into the light.
That may be true, but there is a genuine need to have these lights as well as to signal to other motorists and pedestrians that something has happened. Going overboard is too bad, and possibly dangerous as you say.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
While on public roads, red is never supposed to display forward. But it would be a great idea for offroad or starwatching situations.

Some states even ban flashing yellows except at the corners - Nevada - but that's really more 'be careful where you use it'. I would love programmable lights up there.

I have programmable lights all over the house, and have strips for the bike (tho I've never glued them on...)

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Years ago, when I was training to be a HPDE driver coach, one of the classes was defensive driving techniques.

The instructor had some stats on drunk drivers going the wrong way on a divided highway. The drunk driver has a tendency to drive "at" or towards the headlights of the on coming cars. The class discussed if was prudent to pull over and shut off the headlights, being ready to take evasive measures if needed. The terrain and traffic would dictate whether thats a good evasive measure or not.

In short, drunk drivers do tend to drive into parked vehicles with lights on. They think they are following another moving car.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Personally I’d like to have a night vision mode that makes all the lights on/in the truck either turn off or switch to red like the lights in a black and white darkroom. The red light allows your eyes to still see without having to adjust between lighter and darker views. This would be awesome for star watching or other night time activities.

Though it might be dangerous if you try to drive in night vision mode.
"Ripsaw/Ripsaw EV2" would go well with the Cybertruck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Years ago, when I was training to be a HPDE driver coach, one of the classes was defensive driving techniques.

The instructor had some stats on drunk drivers going the wrong way on a divided highway. The drunk driver has a tendency to drive "at" or towards the headlights of the on coming cars. The class discussed if was prudent to pull over and shut off the headlights, being ready to take evasive measures if needed. The terrain and traffic would dictate whether thats a good evasive measure or not.

In short, drunk drivers do tend to drive into parked vehicles with lights on. They think they are following another moving car.
That is a driver problem. Cars should be able to detect impaired or distracted (drugs, alcohol, sleep deprivation, kids, dogs, etc) drivers and either take over or stop. Why should everyone else have to adapt defensively?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
That is a driver problem. Cars should be able to detect impaired or distracted (drugs, alcohol, sleep deprivation, kids, dogs, etc) drivers and either take over or stop. Why should everyone else have to adapt defensively?
In a perfect world stupid people won't drive while impaired. But, here we are.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Forum, your thoughts?
I am sure I saw the CT with truck running light configuration from the uppers at some point. I'm pretty sure they may all, including the front headlights, be configurable. You are only required to have headlights for roads and highways. Off-road, you should be able to maximize whatever for yourself - maybe even a soft glow that can be like a camp light, that lights the whole campsite and beyond in soft lighting. There may even be a mode that allows for better overall vision, better fog cutting, or maybe even something like infrared. Who knows what is possible, when the lights are infinitely adjustable, and a computer controls them. Factor in Elon Musk, and anything is possible.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
While on public roads, red is never supposed to display forward. But it would be a great idea for offroad or starwatching situations.

Some states even ban flashing yellows except at the corners - Nevada - but that's really more 'be careful where you use it'. I would love programmable lights up there.

I have programmable lights all over the house, and have strips for the bike (tho I've never glued them on...)

-Crissa
Only a fire truck can use red facing forward - well, and law now. FHPs began using red mixed with their blue/white because they say people tend to see red before blue for some reason. Then, blue is only for law. No use of blue is allowed in any way on a vehicle, unless law. peace

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In a perfect world stupid people won't drive while impaired. But, here we are.
That is why the car should ride shotgun on us. We are imperfect beings and cannot be trusted to put others before us. It only makes sense to pull a vehicle as far off the road as possible to avoid crazies but I stand by my belief that the car should monitor the driver and shut off if any form of impairment is noticed.
Sponsored