jonny

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Country flag
With a gross vehicle weight estimated to be in the neighborhood of 8000 pounds, youā€™d need upwards of a 15,000 - 16,000 pound winch.

My other thoughts/concerns would be how to mount one on the front; would it be able to be mounted semi internally (not to mention be able to be wired), or would it have to be mounted in an external bumper like other conventional 4 x 4ā€˜s.

The lack of hard data and specifications available at this point is testing my patience. ?
I was thinking about what if you attached a webbing strap around the tire, anchored at a hole in the wheel (lie you would tire chains or cables). if you could get the wheel to spin slowly enough, the motor has more than enough torque to work. opinion?

Deleted member 3316

If you liked that then Iā€™m sure youā€™ll like this.
I think a setup similar to this on the Cybertruck would be epic.

In the Cybertruck config I was thinking portal hubs on fully independent suspension all around.
Giving ground clearance (not running clearance or suspension clearance or whatever BS OEMs use to give a bigger number) of around 350-400mm!

The winch spool and gearing could be mounted in the dead space under the tray, forward of the rear drive unit. This would negate the need for a moveable unit or two winches front and rear.

love this post if you want a Power Take Off (PTO) winch!!!!ā¤ā¤ā¤

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If you liked that then Iā€™m sure youā€™ll like this.
I think a setup similar to this on the Cybertruck would be epic.

Definitely an epic winch system. Iā€™d also like to have the option to lock the wheels so my vehicle becomes the anchor. But beyond that this setup is super sweet!

Iā€™ve been wondering what people meant when they talked about a single winch working out the front and the back but this video made that clear for me.

And I really like the internal winch setup. Keeps the outside clutter down and protects the winch itself.

And the speed is awesome. Way faster than most of the winches I see on YouTube. Not sure what Tesla has planned but if they used something like this I would be a serious fan boy.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I am not aware of any deadspace under the cybertruck. between the batteries, vault cover, suspension and storage... unless you mean the storage under the bed and want to use that for the winch...

Deleted member 3316

Yeah, that sounds good, but big winches are heavy, and lugging a 80 Lb winch around and sliding it into a 2" receiver isnt for everyone, UpToKnowGood. It would be easy to allow for a winch driven by a PTO, to minimize weight. PTO driven winches are stronger than the bumper winches powered by a small electric motor. A more elegant solution for a vehicle like the Cybertruck, if the designers are on the ball and want it to have off road capability.
Iā€™m a big fan of this idea. A power take off would reduce weight and enable winching at high speed.

A clutched planetary gear using software to manage where the power goes. It would be so much easier to control movement with just the accelerator rather than modulating power to wheels and winch separately from two different systems.

Another advantage of the PTO is that it would enable things people hadnā€™t thought of like snow plows and other powered attachments. Imagine having the PTO front and rear.

Check out my previous post of a land rover with PTO.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
An advantage of having an electrical power source is the ease of routing that power to where you need it.
I think I would prefer to burn up an electric winch motor than damage my main traction motor using a PTO... Just my opinion, YMMV.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You definitely wouldn't want to compromise the finely tuned design of the traction motors or their gearing with any kind of PTO kluge.

Deleted member 3316

An advantage of having an electrical power source is the ease of routing that power to where you need it.
I think I would prefer to burn up an electric winch motor than damage my main traction motor using a PTO... Just my opinion, YMMV.
How would you damage the traction motor?

Youā€™d literally put less strain on it than driving even if you were pulling it up vertically. Do you remember that scene in ā€œThe Gods must be crazyā€? Where a Land Rover was momentarily left to its own devices and managed to winch itself up a tree? The front motor on a Cybertruck is going to have significantly more torque than a 1960ā€™s Land Rover.

It would be geared down so much that it would would be inconsequential.

The reason winch motors burn out is because they are designed to manage cost, voltage and packaging to fit in limited space.
The traction motor on a Cybertruck is designed for ludicrous sustained torque over a long time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How would you damage the traction motor?
Lots of ways.

There's the simple mechanical ones, such as bending or wearing the drive shaft in the motor from uneven loading. Then there's complex ones like wearing out the encoder or uneven demagnetization or heat damage to controller coils or capacitors.

I'm not saying I think it's likely, though, just that it's plausible.

-Crissa
Sponsored