Winching...

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oldsmobile Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Nissan Frontier,...
Country flag
BUT, it may not make it in the first production of Cybertruck.
This is one of those BUTs that look much better to those of us in back of the line ;)

Advertisement

jonny

First Name
jon
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Country flag
With a gross vehicle weight estimated to be in the neighborhood of 8000 pounds, you’d need upwards of a 15,000 - 16,000 pound winch.

My other thoughts/concerns would be how to mount one on the front; would it be able to be mounted semi internally (not to mention be able to be wired), or would it have to be mounted in an external bumper like other conventional 4 x 4‘s.

The lack of hard data and specifications available at this point is testing my patience. 😣
I was thinking about what if you attached a webbing strap around the tire, anchored at a hole in the wheel (lie you would tire chains or cables). if you could get the wheel to spin slowly enough, the motor has more than enough torque to work. opinion?

Timoj

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LRPERF
Country flag
I was thinking about what if you attached a webbing strap around the tire, anchored at a hole in the wheel (lie you would tire chains or cables). if you could get the wheel to spin slowly enough, the motor has more than enough torque to work. opinion?
this should give you an answer.

Timoj

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LRPERF
Country flag
If you liked that then I’m sure you’ll like this.
I think a setup similar to this on the Cybertruck would be epic.

In the Cybertruck config I was thinking portal hubs on fully independent suspension all around.
Giving ground clearance (not running clearance or suspension clearance or whatever BS OEMs use to give a bigger number) of around 350-400mm!

The winch spool and gearing could be mounted in the dead space under the tray, forward of the rear drive unit. This would negate the need for a moveable unit or two winches front and rear.

love this post if you want a Power Take Off (PTO) winch!!!!❤❤❤

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Private Lending Educator
Country flag
If you liked that then I’m sure you’ll like this.
I think a setup similar to this on the Cybertruck would be epic.

Definitely an epic winch system. I’d also like to have the option to lock the wheels so my vehicle becomes the anchor. But beyond that this setup is super sweet!

I’ve been wondering what people meant when they talked about a single winch working out the front and the back but this video made that clear for me.

And I really like the internal winch setup. Keeps the outside clutter down and protects the winch itself.

And the speed is awesome. Way faster than most of the winches I see on YouTube. Not sure what Tesla has planned but if they used something like this I would be a serious fan boy.

Advertisement

Advertisement