Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Don’t worry…Elon’s already eyed Baja, tweeted and …others too.
Tesla Cybertruck Another Baja opportunity to see EV platform perform 44F85FFA-0AB6-459D-9DB4-300EC80666CB

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
From what I've seen, Tesla has a tendency to not do any public demos until they can be confirmed to be a sure thing in terms of performance. The windows getting broken on the Cyber truck was unexpected for them and despite the fact that any other car would have ended up with a ball bearing in the passenger seat we heard about it Non-Stop. I doubt that they would want to deal with the negative PR from a cybertruck getting towed under any conditions doing an off-road race, even if it's something that would take out any other car.

I can already imagine the headlines that we would see if the CT got stuck, you know as well as I do that every media outlet would crop the picture so that the other three vehicles that also got stuck wouldn't be seen.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Last edited:

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What would be the upside for Tesla to do it? Offroad racing is a very small market. Tesla isn't involved in racing anywhere that I am aware of. So why start now?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What would be the upside for Tesla to do it? Offroad racing is a very small market. Tesla isn't involved in racing anywhere that I am aware of. So why start now?
One-upman-ship. Bragging rights. Show they have the better product.

Tesla may have more demand than they can supply, but the earlier they can stake that claim, the longer they can hold it, the more people in the world will hear about it.

If they were to join a race, it would be world headline news. No one could buy that much advertising.

All race culture is a 'small market' but it sets the pace and aspirations of buyers.

-Crissa

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
One-upman-ship. Bragging rights. Show they have the better product.

Tesla may have more demand than they can supply, but the earlier they can stake that claim, the longer they can hold it, the more people in the world will hear about it.

If they were to join a race, it would be world headline news. No one could buy that much advertising.

All race culture is a 'small market' but it sets the pace and aspirations of buyers.

-Crissa
That is assuming they win. Could be just a disasterous in bad press if they came in last or the truck broke down.

As for the advertising they don't really need it. They don't spend on advertising now and Tesla is a household name.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

-Crissa
While this is true, I don't think it's the market angle that the CT is looking to penetrate. From what I can tell they are looking to become a new standard for work trucks and then penetrate culture from there.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
That is assuming they win. Could be just a disasterous in bad press if they came in last or the truck broke down.

As for the advertising they don't really need it. They don't spend on advertising now and Tesla is a household name.
Hehehe, "god" Elon would be slapped down a few notches , hahahaha

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
At least the CT would not catch fire like the Lordstown truck.. lol
From what I can see the Tri is still not ready, but the dual can do it. But is has much less range. I'm sure Tesla would not make a one off Dual with Long Range (500+), as then lots of people would want that...

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Then, you'd be surprised how few people know how advanced Tesla is, let alone how much they cost.

-Crissa
I've talked shop with a few guys in my industry about electric trucks and I've encountered a bunch that didn't even know people were making them. I've even been able to show off the AR cybertruck app to a few folks.

Hehehe, "god" Elon would be slapped down a few notches , hahahaha
He's used to taking his punches, I think we're all referring to how the media likes to downplay Tesla every chance they get. IE: everyone focusing on the bearing breaking the windows and not bothering to mention that normal car glass wouldn't stop it at all.
Sponsored

Last edited: