Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I drive one hybrid (Pacifica), and one ICE (Volvo). I have a reservation number that puts me around 20,000 in line for a CT and my plan was to replace the Volvo with the CT.

As a side hustle I do wildlife habitat restoration work. I get along just fine pulling a small trailer with my Volvo, or using the actually large space in my van. I have always wanted a truck, and used to own one, but shifted away. The release of the cybertruck was perfect for me - I could have a truck again, do my work easier, and not worry about a gas guzzler.

But Texas has made me rethink my plan. I don't know that I want to wait for the CT. The Texas situation is partly horrible mismanagement, but also climate change related. And every day I drive my ICE vehicle I will now wonder if what I'm doing is the best I can do.

I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y. It tows 3,500 lbs which is plenty for me to keep up my current type of work. I can't haul the tractor, but I rarely need to do that now as it is. Yeah the CT is cool AF but it's going to be at least a year, and that just feels much too long.

Is anyone else on this forum feeling the same way?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I drive one hybrid (Pacifica), and one ICE (Volvo). I have a reservation number that puts me around 20,000 in line for a CT and my plan was to replace the Volvo with the CT.

As a side hustle I do wildlife habitat restoration work. I get along just fine pulling a small trailer with my Volvo, or using the actually large space in my van. I have always wanted a truck, and used to own one, but shifted away. The release of the cybertruck was perfect for me - I could have a truck again, do my work easier, and not worry about a gas guzzler.

But Texas has made me rethink my plan. I don't know that I want to wait for the CT. The Texas situation is partly horrible mismanagement, but also climate change related. And every day I drive my ICE vehicle I will now wonder if what I'm doing is the best I can do.

I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y. It tows 3,500 lbs which is plenty for me to keep up my current type of work. I can't haul the tractor, but I rarely need to do that now as it is. Yeah the CT is cool AF but it's going to be at least a year, and that just feels much too long.

I had a Model Y reservation before the CT was announced. I always had a personal requirement of 400 miles per charge but wanted to upgrade just as you. I would consider a Model Y now except for the mileage. I need at least one car in the household that can go 400 (real) miles per day. Our Model 3 won’t and I hope that the CT will get close (sans trailer). It is a personal decision of course, but decide what your requirements are before making a decision. Please don’t cancel your reservation until you are sure.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag

Yep, not sure which one yet tho, but using "fossil fuel" doesn't bother me considering the earth spews 10's, possibly 100's of millions of barrels into the environment ( water and land) every year through fissures or seeps ( just in the Gulf of Mexico 80,000 - 200,000 tonnes per year), since such has been going on for a LONG LONG LONG time there are ways the earth handles it.

Again I am not too worried.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The Texas situation is not climate change related.

Upgrading to electric one year earlier will have literally zero impact on the situation.

But it might help your feelings and self worth, so I say go for it! Cancel it and I will get my gorgeous steal beast a few minutes earlier!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Keep the reservation until you get that email even if you buy something else. Your number is fairly low. Just use your Pacifica as much as you can to put your conscious at ease. Every time you buy something new, you are contributing to climate change due to all the pollution created for manufacturing what you buy and disposal of what you get rid of. Delaying your next purchase is good for environment. And 2022 will be here before you know it. I am looking at a three year wait. If I had your spot I would definitely wait. Corona has made the wait a bit easier for me since I don’t use my truck that much. If it goes to truck heaven soon or if I need to tow something heavy in the next three years, I may have to cancel all your good deeds by going ICE. Even though there is no guarantee when you will get yours, I would wait if you can.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
We Bought a Hybrid Pacifica in November and finally had to buy our first gas for it last weekend. It's been a great way to ease my wife into EV's. Like Diehard said, drive that Pacifica as much as possible!
One thing I can't help but mention. If you give up that early reservation on the Cybertruck, I can't imagine the feeling's you'd have driving a Model Y around and seeing Cybertrucks, could be gut wrenching. Plus once they come out if you change your mind too late, it will be a long wait till you will have a chance to buy one. I can just see you thinking, "I could have had one of those for the same price".

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
(Screams in horror) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! With a low number like that, you'd be leaving money on the table at best, making the worst blunder of your life at worst. Hold on to your place, you'll never regret it. It's not like you're going to do something super-important with that $100, right? Super-important = curing cancer, solving the climate crisis, getting rid of No-Ko Loco, etc...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
why is the texas problem related? i dont see the connection

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
IF you are rural, snowbound, wild or outdoors lifestyled, what in climate change marketing could push you out of where you live, work and play? A lesser platform fails you in severe weather conditions, extreme road situations (mud, snow, water) and offroad circumstances.

My take against model Y boils down to ground clearance loaded or empty. It knocks out 5-7% of all available places on a map. It kills 10% of the places I need to get to. And it makes 20% of the places I want to get to impossibly long hike-ins (>10 mi).

I’m too old to be doing midnight departures to reach sites, to young to stop enjoying nature and doing all I can to offset my climate impacts. No regrets over a Cybertruck going forward.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
IF you are rural, snowbound, wild or outdoors lifestyled, what in climate change marketing could push you out of where you live, work and play? A lesser platform fails you in severe weather conditions, extreme road situations (mud, snow, water) and offroad circumstances.

My take against model Y boils down to ground clearance loaded or empty. It knocks out 5-7% of all available places on a map. It kills 10% of the places I need to get to. And it makes 20% of the places I want to get to impossibly long hike-ins (>10 mi).

I’m too old to be doing midnight departures to reach sites, to young to stop enjoying nature and doing all I can to offset my climate impacts. No regrets over a Cybertruck going forward.
Considering I have A LOT of trees, bushes...basic greenery that takes in more , probably way more, CO2 than I expel, I consider myself "carbon negative".
Ohhhhh, by the way where is my "carbon credit $$$$$"???
No regrets here for ANY new truck I purchase!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You have another year to wait.

The production of a vehicle costs energy, so replacing a car has an environmental impact.

why is the texas problem related? i dont see the connection
The weather in Texas last week was a direct result of climate instability caused by global warming.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The weather in Texas last week was a direct result of climate instability caused by global warming.

-Crissa
That’s a scientifically unfounded statement. It was an unusual weather event, but it is beyond our scientific ability to say it was caused by human-produced greenhouse gases. The coldest day recorded in Texas was in 1933. Was it directly caused by climate change?

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
@WildhavenMI What I think I hear is your want your cool thing now (emotion) and some external event helps you to make the story (rational).

You have a need, you have a solution already. It seems you want to solve the problem in a way that improves the environment. You can do that with the Y so it appears you I trying to decide between cool / longer (CT) and functional / now (Y). As far as environment goes, the answer is no purchase, unfortunate but true.

I'm not a truck guy and due to a variety of circumstances, I don't even need a vehicle let alone a CyberTruck. I am going to make it work. Is any new car purchase beneficial to the environment, nope. Am I partly rationalizing that I'll need a new vehicle because my daughter will be a driver soon, yep. Is it an actual need, nope.

Shifting into unsolicited opinion mode, sorry.
Hold onto the reservation, don't buy any vehicle until you need to. I'll do the same though admittedly only because the one I want isn't here yet.
Sponsored