Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Texas had a freeze across the entire state in 1989. The electric grid lost many power plants because they were not designed for that cold a weather (guess Texas was planning for Global Warming because in 1989, the UNITED NATIONS issued this press release ... "A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000."). I digress.

Buy the Model Y now and take delivery of the CyberTruck in 2022. Problems solved.
Are you saying the UN was wrong?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...maldives-kiribati-will-be-most-vulnerable/amp
Sponsored

CYBRTGR

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X & 3
Occupation
Pro Leisure Circuit Director
Country flag
YES!
In 2005, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) said sea-level rises, increased hurricanes, and desertification caused by “man-made global warming” would lead to massive population disruptions. The 2005 UNEP predictions said, by 2010, 50 million “climate refugees” would be frantically fleeing from those regions affected such as the Caribbean and low-lying Pacific islands and along with coastal areas. However, by 2010 those “affected regions” experienced significant population growth that placed them some of the fastest-growing places on Earth.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
YES!
...by 2010 those “affected regions” texperienced significant population growth that placed them some of the fastest-growing places on Earth.
Yes, these things have happened. Their are islands being abandoned and people dying from less predictable weather.

No on said there wouldn't be winter storms. A decrease in snow pack (which still occurred this year!) doesn't mean we don't have storms.

-Crissa

CYBRTGR

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X & 3
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, these things have happened. Their are islands being abandoned and people dying from less predictable weather.

No on said there wouldn't be winter storms. A decrease in snow pack (which still occurred this year!) doesn't mean we don't have storms.

-Crissa
Fact: The Caribbean islands have not been abandoned.

CYBRTGR

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X & 3
Occupation
Country flag
Well Puerto Rico has population decrease by nearly 1 million people since 2000 as people move away.
The decrease was not due to the island being submerged causing people to flee. The decrease was due to economic decline resulting in young people leaving for a better economic life off the island.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The decrease was not due to the island being submerged causing people to flee. The decrease was due to economic decline resulting in young people leaving for a better economic life off the island.
Economic decline due to weather and flooding?

CYBRTGR

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X & 3
Occupation
Country flag
Economic decline due to weather and flooding?
You are trying real hard to make a nonexistent connection.. Good for you! Weather and flooding is also why New Yorkers are fleeing to Florida.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It’s a weird world. I think the vast majority of us who are on this site are environmentally friendly, myself included. I just hate the Chicken Littles. I have zero tolerance for the drama queens
Isn't Zero tolerance a bit dramatic? Just kidding ;)

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
You are trying real hard to make a nonexistent connection.. Good for you! Weather and flooding is also why New Yorkers are fleeing to Florida.
Not really... you said the UN said that people would be leaving islands due to climate change.... you said that it is false. I picked Puerto Rico and yes people have been leaving....
If you prefer I could pick another island that you say have not been effected.
Since 2000 the population of Gaum has not grown.
Since 2000 the population of Marshall Islands hasn't grown.
Since 2000 the population of American Samoa has not grown.
Its funny that all these climate sensitive ares of the United States had steady population growth till around year 2000 then stop or declined?
People leave and move to the rest of the United States. Of course in all cases there are many reasons but it certainly isn't true that populations have expanded or are high growth in climate change sensitive areas.

Last edited:

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Isn't Zero tolerance a bit extreme? Just kidding ;)
Nope!
Environmentally friendly = good
Absurd nonsense in an attempt to accomplish that goal = annoying and counterproductive.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Sea-level rise claims five islands in Solomons: study
May 7, 2016
https://phys.org/news/2016-05-sea-level-islands-solomons.html

"At least 11 islands across the northern Solomon Islands have either totally disappeared over recent decades or are currently experiencing severe erosion," the study published in Environmental Research Letters said.

"Shoreline recession at two sites has destroyed villages that have existed since at least 1935, leading to community relocations."

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Sea-level rise claims five islands in Solomons: study
May 7, 2016
https://phys.org/news/2016-05-sea-level-islands-solomons.html

"At least 11 islands across the northern Solomon Islands have either totally disappeared over recent decades or are currently experiencing severe erosion," the study published in Environmental Research Letters said.

"Shoreline recession at two sites has destroyed villages that have existed since at least 1935, leading to community relocations."
"Earth's Surface Gaining Coastal Land Area, Despite Sea Level Rise"

All depends where you are.

Flooding is NOT an important issue considering many populated areas were built on or around "flood plains" - now couple that with houses, roads, parking lots, other buildings, small drainage pipes... which displace water and DON'T allow the land to do its natural absorption and funneling when required.

I would have to do a little more research, but, I read that the Earth is "going off" its axis ( True North and South are moving but NOT in leaps and bounds tho) which can and could contribute to various coastal erosions here and gains there.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I drive one hybrid (Pacifica), and one ICE (Volvo). I have a reservation number that puts me around 20,000 in line for a CT and my plan was to replace the Volvo with the CT.

As a side hustle I do wildlife habitat restoration work. I get along just fine pulling a small trailer with my Volvo, or using the actually large space in my van. I have always wanted a truck, and used to own one, but shifted away. The release of the cybertruck was perfect for me - I could have a truck again, do my work easier, and not worry about a gas guzzler.

But Texas has made me rethink my plan. I don't know that I want to wait for the CT. The Texas situation is partly horrible mismanagement, but also climate change related. And every day I drive my ICE vehicle I will now wonder if what I'm doing is the best I can do.

I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y. It tows 3,500 lbs which is plenty for me to keep up my current type of work. I can't haul the tractor, but I rarely need to do that now as it is. Yeah the CT is cool AF but it's going to be at least a year, and that just feels much too long.

Is anyone else on this forum feeling the same way?
I haven't read the other replies but my concern about the Model Y (and I may buy one myself) is ground clearance. I have owned some kind of decent ground clearance vehicle pretty much since I learned to drive and I do not think I could drive a car that is 6" off the deck in the places I routinely go and feel like I wasn't going to do serious damage. Given that there is a battery down there only accentuates that concern. You have to do what you have to do but you might consider as many scenarios as possible before getting the Model Y if you do wildlife restoration work.
Sponsored