Model S Plaid Delivery Event

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
They say timing is everything, what was up with the timing of this event?
Why wait till so late in the evening to have that short event?
They always have new vehicle unveilings and initial deliveries in the evening. It might be because the factory employees get to be off of work and it's easier to have the event.

And for those of you wishing for the luxurious upgrades to the Model S for the Cybertruck, I can tell you that if they will be available -- it won't be at the previously released prices. They might be options that cost more.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
My guess? They wanted it to be dark so they could simulate the plaid imagery as Elon started driving on the track.

Unfortunately the live feed didn’t work so well and the lighting (while nice) didn’t really show so much as plaid.

Nice attempt at showing a marketing theme even though it didn’t really work so well.
Yes, that's what I kinda thought too, they wanted darkness. The funny thing is they originally said 7pm westcoast time, then 8:15, and it ran even later. How hard is it to look ahead and see what time is sunset? It just felt very poorly planned and rushed. I found a livestream later from Bearded Tesla guy and he took 2 rides on the track and that thing haul ass. So that was cool. When Elon launched the car they should have shot a POV showing the speedo to give viewers the feeling of how fast it accelerates.

Heres the video check out 1:25:16 when he climbs in for a ride.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I wonder if they let their 25 lucky drivers to drive through the plaid launcher? Probably.

-Crissa
That guardrail on the turn didn't allow much room for error. Maybe they got a ride in their own car.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
To me, it seemed a more personal event directed at the first Model S recipients in the audience. A lot of Elon's pauses and uhh-umms seemed to be him reacting to and listening to the people standing in front of him. He really wasn't talking to the cameras at all. There was a lot of audience participation in the background audio.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That was the only CT reference of the evening, which I am happy with. That means there is a lot of CT update to cover and after a year and a half of silence, we may get something worthy of our patience (not as much mine as yours)
Franz said it was for the several records being broken and didn't say anything about the CT, but I was hopeful until the very end :-(

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Franz said it was for the several records being broken and didn't say anything about the CT, but I was hopeful until the very end :-(
He could have made that statement in number of ways. May be it is my imagination, but I thought it was an attempt to be humorous since last time he showed up with it on the stage, things didn't go that smoothly. Then again, I do tend to overthink stuff sometime.

Even though there were no direct reference to CT, I felt like we did get some CT updates. Some of those techs can end up in your truck. I have a feeling CT nose may go down too in sport mode at a stop sign (may be in CT3). We may get some of the sound system tech, may be the new rotors for CT3. I will be surprised if we don’t get the new heat pump. Now we know Yoke is possible. Your CT probably will get to know you better than your spouse

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Do they really expect to sell 1000 a WEEK? Or was that for all Model S without the plaid option? Wasn't clear to me if all those features were for plaid only or all Model S.

If you see these things on the road, just don't mess with them.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I would pay more to get ventilated seats. I’m sure it won’t be standard like in the S.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I would pay more to get ventilated seats. I’m sure it won’t be standard like in the S.
i could see it being a trim specific feature....CT1 and CT2 software unlockable option, CT3 standard possibly?