Door handle issue

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Just had a similar issue on my 13 MS. This is a known issue. mine would present but not register the touch to open. this was a $300 repair for me as the control module needed to be replaced. I hate to inform you but i think i recall reading your issue is more intrusive and like a $600+ fix. as the whole handle has to be replaced. It took them over a month to get the parts to do the fix as well with the chip shortage, so hopefully you arent waiting too long!

Good luck!
If he's the DIY type he can fix the door handle himself for $175 https://evtuning.com/products/model-s-door-handle-rebuild-kit-service and use this video as a guide

The later Model S had revised door handles that are more durable. The Model X handles are just buttons, the Model 3 and Y handles are levers with electronic buttons. Cybertruck will have no handles, but yet to see what exactly Elon meant by that
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The Cybertruck and future models of other Tesla's will probably adopt the Roadster door opening feature where you slide your finger down the glass of the winder over the B pillar where there is a sensor and the door will open enough for you to grab it. I'm actually really surprised to see that the new Model S and Model X updates don't have this option. Maybe they had too many door handles and wanted to use up the stock.

One thing I don't like about the Mach E door button and I had a similar problem with Tesla door hands that are flush with the car, and that is it sucks in the winter after some freezing rain. Both Ford and Tesla have little pushers installed in the door to force it open even against a sheet of ice, but you still need to press the button and i've seen some thick layers of ice on my door a couple times each winter up here in Canada.

I'm hoping the Tesla just puts an open door button in the app when it's in range of bluetooth at least, so I can press that and not have to worry about weather ice is stopping me from activating the open door function.
use tongue to lick ice off. Nobody ever reported a problem with a wet tongue on frozen metal. ?

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
If he's the DIY type he can fix the door handle himself for $175 https://evtuning.com/products/model-s-door-handle-rebuild-kit-service and use this video as a guide

The later Model S had revised door handles that are more durable. The Model X handles are just buttons, the Model 3 and Y handles are levers with electronic buttons. Cybertruck will have no handles, but yet to see what exactly Elon meant by that
I am the handy type and the number of steps in that video made ME uncomfortable. Im glad I had the Tesla Mobile service take care of mine!

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
The Cybertruck and future models of other Tesla's will probably adopt the Roadster door opening feature where you slide your finger down the glass of the winder over the B pillar where there is a sensor and the door will open enough for you to grab it. I'm actually really surprised to see that the new Model S and Model X updates don't have this option. Maybe they had too many door handles and wanted to use up the stock.

One thing I don't like about the Mach E door button and I had a similar problem with Tesla door hands that are flush with the car, and that is it sucks in the winter after some freezing rain. Both Ford and Tesla have little pushers installed in the door to force it open even against a sheet of ice, but you still need to press the button and i've seen some thick layers of ice on my door a couple times each winter up here in Canada.

I'm hoping the Tesla just puts an open door button in the app when it's in range of bluetooth at least, so I can press that and not have to worry about weather ice is stopping me from activating the open door function.
Ideally, if it's bad weather and you don't want to use your phone with gloves to pop the door, you could use the keycard. Hopefully that will be picked up by the sensor through a sheet of ice. Then hopefully the pusher is really strong, I've felt like I was going to break the very solid feeling door handles on my car several times fighting with ice.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Ideally, if it's bad weather and you don't want to use your phone with gloves to pop the door, you could use the keycard. Hopefully that will be picked up by the sensor through a sheet of ice. Then hopefully the pusher is really strong, I've felt like I was going to break the very solid feeling door handles on my car several times fighting with ice.
That's a good point as well. Since there won't be any door handles at all, putting the keycard up to the b pillar could definitely made to open the door instead of just unlocking it. That would easily solve the problem of a layer of ice if you forget to preheat the Cybertruck to melt the ice off the window before going out.

I wouldn't worry about the pusher breaking, maybe the one that's intended for the sliding door handles, but the ones that open the entire door should be able to break the ice easily. I don't know if Tesla will have one that opens the door regularly and an additional one for breaking ice, but the one I seen on the model X seems like it would be pretty strong and it does it slowly which should minimize strain on the motor. I would love to see if that could open the door after a side collision to help with escaping the vehicle.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It is part of the robot revolution, you can never leave your CT Without handles.
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"
-- Eagles, Hotel California

OP
OP

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag
Just had a similar issue on my 13 MS. This is a known issue. mine would present but not register the touch to open. this was a $300 repair for me as the control module needed to be replaced. I hate to inform you but i think i recall reading your issue is more intrusive and like a $600+ fix. as the whole handle has to be replaced. It took them over a month to get the parts to do the fix as well with the chip shortage, so hopefully you arent waiting too long!

Good luck!
Finally had issue taken care of, took 2 hours, warranty covered.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Great, one more issue. I will have to see what the CT comes with for a door release mechanism. The sad thing is, Elon has repeatedly said the best fix is the one that eliminates parts. That S door handle fix video did not look like they sought to reduce the parts whatsoever in the S Door.

I'm sincerely hoping the CT isn't a millennial vehicle, where you just say it's good, and if you believe it's good, it will be. For some reason, I expect a good solid truck for my money. At this point, with various reports I've read and seen on Teslas and certainly with Elon's silence; I'm a bit concerned. peace

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Great, one more issue. I will have to see what the CT comes with for a door release mechanism. The sad thing is, Elon has repeatedly said the best fix is the one that eliminates parts. That S door handle fix video did not look like they sought to reduce the parts whatsoever in the S Door.

I'm sincerely hoping the CT isn't a millennial vehicle, where you just say it's good, and if you believe it's good, it will be. For some reason, I expect a good solid truck for my money. At this point, with various reports I've read and seen on Teslas and certainly with Elon's silence; I'm a bit concerned. peace
Tesla is very good with elimating parts. The real advances are the ones you can't see just by looking at the cars. Find some teardown videos of the original model S, the Model 3 and Y when they were first produced, and then the newer versions of any model. The engineering that Tesla has done to reduce weight, eliminate parts, and make small adjustments to make a more comfortable ride is impressive. Sandy Munro does really good tear down videos of vehicles to see the engineering behind them and why companies do them.

As for the Cybertruck. The door handles are done, they'll probably have a button inside to release as well as an emergency lever hidden from view. They are almost certainly going with the same elmination of stalks. Besides the vault and ramp which is of course completely optional to use, there isn't anything about the bed that is likely going to cause issues. Other than that, the cybertruck doesn't seem like it'll have any other unnecessary parts. You'll have a steering wheel, seatss, the infotainment screen, pedals, and then the doors to open storage like frunk/glovebox/tailgate/underbedstorage/sailpillarstorage.

I love the look of the Tesla but the simplicity is what I really care about. They put in the least amount of things that they could, then they only really added the vault for security and ramp for utility.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag

Millennial vehicle?
I think if you stack up every shitty car ever made, there would be a lot more from before 2000 than after.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Millennial vehicle?
I think if you stack up every shitty car ever made, there would be a lot more from before 2000 than after.
That depends what we are referring to when we say 'shitty car'. I would like to think that it's the difference between a car that you are referencing compared to what would be considered the average modern car.

In that respect, I think there are more shitty cars today. My second car I got shortly after my first truck as something smaller for in the city. It was a shitty car from 1989 and it lasted me until 2015 when I sold that shitty car to someone else. That car probably made it to 30 before being junked, maybe it still works.

But a shitty car today, I can go out and buy a shitty car that i'll feel lucky if I get more than 10 years out of it. I remember driving my friends Honda CRV with 6 adults, we had one too many people so I drove while she sat on her boyfriends lap. We went up a hill doing about 30km/h with full acceleration. I'm not saying that these cars are terrible, some people will sacrifice quality for a cheap price, you can get a new car for like $15000 and that's helping a lot of people who need a vehicle for their family.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But a shitty car today, I can go out and buy a shitty car that i'll feel lucky if I get more than 10 years out of it. I remember driving my friends Honda CRV with 6 adults, we had one too many people so I drove while she sat on her boyfriends lap. We went up a hill doing about 30km/h with full acceleration.
You exceeded a vehicle's load rating and couldn't go up a hill.

That's more a shitty driver than a shitty car.

-Crissa
Sponsored