Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
VW get vans, van people and passenger vans. OK delivery not so much.
AB333F7A-F71C-4AFB-9BDC-E52D4EC49E2D.jpeg

The T series van - quintessential

What would a T-6/Cybertruck bab look like?

0C5490C1-AD9C-4A6B-9D62-E63A5763BC8C.png
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Vans are for people and goods transportation in its strictest sense. This is different than the commute (3), the utility(Y), the drive(S), or the work(CT). It seems like the hardest nut to crack aka Tesla rethinks the execution. How do you turn a box into an aerodynamic, pleasurable experience? I'm curious what they come up with eventually.

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
The question would be, what would the van do, that the X doesn't? And how would it do it?

-Crissa
My eldest loves the MX. Its the most luxurious unaffordable car ever! Her words...it could, just do what MX cannot.

Whatif, Tesla van scales MX up to haul 3rd,4th row passengers(1 massive gullwing ea. side)

Whatif, Tesla MX headroom increases and hatches the backend? Keeps existing two gullwings, pops the top up, lengthens 3rd row and adds hatch?

TBH…van stimulates the truck muscle in my brain. Cyber*, the platform, seems like a logical answer to solve commercial passenger, delivery and cargo applications. The design exercise escapes my geometry challenged imagination is my problem. No fan of renders that reduce Cyber to car-scale approximations of the original prototype. I find 3% offensive after Hans went after the slope of its empire waistline. Narrowing width of wheel track for Boring Co.=ok.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, 8-14 mini bus territory.

Probably thinking an enclosed cabin large enough to be modded for bikes, captain seating, roll-in wheelchairs?

So like a Sprinter?

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
The question would be, what would the van do, that the X doesn't? And how would it do it?
I once carried home doors for our basement finish in the back of our Dodge Caravan. First time I didn't have to worry about the Denver weather.... :)

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Id love to see a giant roadtrip van for the entire family and a few friends. A Tesla version of an E350….with a 1000 mile range.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I once carried home doors for our basement finish in the back of our Dodge Caravan. First time I didn't have to worry about the Denver weather.... :)
The Grand Caravans that I had when my kids were at home could easily carry full sheets of plywood with the doors shut

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
As a Pacifica Hybrid owner, I'd cancel my CT res in a minute if there was a Tesla van with the same capabilities. 7/8 passenger, "stow and go" third row and very easily removable 2nd row captain seats, and 350+ miles of range (plus towing) and I'll spend my $50-70k there instead of on the CT thank you.

The van form factor is just so much more aligned with my needs, and it allows me to have a real combo utility/work and kids/camping vehicle. Would I miss the bed? Yes. Do I find the ability to fit a 4x8 sheet of ply flat with the doors closed in the morning and loaded up with gear to head out to the Jellystone Park Campground in the afternoon better? Yes

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I love my little Nissan van. It was bought originally because we carried a lot of high value camera and sound equipment for shooting movies. It is a cargo van with no rear windows at all. It gets super fuel mileage and is pretty nimble and peppy for a four banger van with front wheel drive. It will even pull a pretty decent loaded trailer. The downside it that it only seats two legally.
If Tesla decided to build a van on the CT platform that would keep the performance and other trucklike features I'd prob sell the CT and get the van. A Sprinter sized Tesla van would rock.
Back in the day when the custom van craze was going on I owned a 66 Chevy van and a Ford Supervan.
With an electric van you could stealth camp while on a road trip and stay cool or warm without running an ICE.
Bring it on Elon.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Sit 8 people and allow little kids to get in and out by themselves and have 2 cup holders per seat
Once you go minivan you don’t go back. I think ours has 20 cup holders and I am fairly certain we almost fill them all up frequently. The auto sliding doors, low threshold. Wide aisles for the kids to get themselves around in. Seats disappear when we need to haul larger cargo. Oh and most importantly you can get the top trim of almost any minivan for about half the cost of a model x.
Sponsored