A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess my point is I'm a carpenter I use my hands the truck will be used by hands all over people need to get in my truck to move the truck it's a utilitarian vehicle please put a Dead Man's handle somewhere
If you look carefully at your computer key board you will find on the bottom row two keys to the right of the M a key that makes a mark like this. It's called a "full stop" and it indicates the end of a sentence which helps readers to see where one sentence ends and the next begins. Try it sometime.

If you need to have multiple people use your truck to move it, run errands, fetch lunch for the crew or whatever they must, of course be able to get into it and they must be able to authenticate themselves to it by using the fob or key card or your smartphone. So you will need to have to toss them your fob or keycard in fashion similar to what you do with ICE vehicles or obtain a spare fob or keycard for this purpose. Spare fobs are expensive. Key cards I don't know.

Now if they do the retinal scan thing then....
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
... unless I can have the signal embedded my body
That's been done. Some whacko took his key card apart, fished out the RFID bit and embedded it in his hand (IIRC). I think there is even a YouTube video of him doing it.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
That's been done. Some whacko took his key card apart, fished out the RFID bit and embedded it in his hand (IIRC). I think there is even a YouTube video of him doing it.
Or you could just opt for the rfid ring. Much simpler and less painful.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
We have 3 ways to unlock our Model Y;

-Cell phone
-Key card
-Key Fob (optional accesory)

One of the best features of a Tesla is the simplicity of entering, starting and locking the car;

1) Walk up to the car and it automatically unlocks with your cell phone. The driver just pulls on the unlocked door handle to open and enter the vehicle.

2) To start the car the driver presses the brake pedal and then pushes down on the steering wheel mounted stalk to select “D” for drive. Tesla’s do not have a start button, traditional keys, etc.

3) Once at your destination simply push the button at the end of the steering wheel mounted stalk to place in “P” for park. Now get out and walk away from the vehicle and it will automatically lock with a very faint horn “beep” that confirms that the vehicle is now locked. I have “Sentry Mode“ programmed to capture any activity around our vehicle while it’s parked.

Most Model Y/3 owners are surprised to find out that an automatic garage door opener is not included as standard equipment on the vehicle. I have a strong suspicion that the Cybertruck will be the same since it’s not Tesla’s flagship model (comes standard on the Model S). Homelink is currently a $325 optional accessory through Tesla that is installed at no charge by your local Tesla service center. They send you a module in a box that is mounted below the frunk and then plugged into a wiring harness by a Telsa technician. The Homelink software is uploaded to your vehicle as well during this installation.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-automatic-garage-opener

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Or you could just opt for the rfid ring. Much simpler and less painful.
Yes, I'd forgotten about those. There are apparently a couple out there. One is described at https://www.teslaring.com/. That should solve the problem of either the carpenter or the diver but note that these are not available for all models - only the 3 and Y. Will the CT be able to use them? Have to wait and see.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I didn't realize they had a fob for the Model Y. I think that's a better backup than the card for kayaking. Makes a lot more sense for friends who I might need to get into my car.

I'm wondering on the cards, can you register any RFID to the car or is it something s

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Be ready to cough up $175…
Yeah, saw that bit.

I usually travel with my wife and a keycard in my pocket, so I'm not up for that.

It would be cheaper/ easier to just cut down my card and embed the RFID chip in my watchband for backup.

OP
OP
humanoidtyphoon
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I pre-ordered the cyber truck I own Volvo's
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
If you look carefully at your computer key board you will find on the bottom row two keys to the right of the M a key that makes a mark like this. It's called a "full stop" and it indicates the end of a sentence which helps readers to see where one sentence ends and the next begins. Try it sometime.

If you need to have multiple people use your truck to move it, run errands, fetch lunch for the crew or whatever they must, of course be able to get into it and they must be able to authenticate themselves to it by using the fob or key card or your smartphone. So you will need to have to toss them your fob or keycard in fashion similar to what you do with ICE vehicles or obtain a spare fob or keycard for this purpose. Spare fobs are expensive. Key cards I don't know.

Now if they do the retinal scan thing then....

This is typically why I don't ask questions thanks for all the condescension

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You are quite welcome. Run on sentences are confusing enough to native English speakers but are especially discourteous to our members for whom English is a second language.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It would be cheaper/ easier to just cut down my card and embed the RFID chip in my watchband for backup.
I'm not sure I am remembering this accurately but I think the guy that stuck it under his skin got it free from the card by dissolving the card in solvent.
Sponsored