John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Approaching perfection. Topper from GnarlyDudeLive features 8 feet of walk space after I added a pop top with panoramic fabric unzipping. I also added the side window and the canvas drop floor tail. Range loss 20%?, 25%? Still good enough for me on a tri-motor. The cubes make the CT livable, not just sleepable. Thoughts?
Tesla Cybertruck CT Aero-perfect insert camper GnarlyDudeLive Pop top 7-21-21

Tesla Cybertruck CT Aero-perfect insert camper GnarlyDudeLive Clean Roof
Sponsored

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Iterations are getting much better. The topper pretty much follows the existing lines of the CT, this should to some effect keep the drag impacts more minimalized I would imagine?

Maybe some sort of pull out and pivot down stairs under the lower tail end of the topper could provide easy entry?

Additionally, the bed square portion of the camper could telescope up as well being I believe it is wider than a traditional truck bed. This could allow for under the floor storage or perhaps a sleeping arrangement? Some care would need to be take for the upwards and out sloping end of the CT.

Pictures I don't think would do it justice on just how hulking this thing would appear compared to standing by it....

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Iterations are getting much better. The topper pretty much follows the existing lines of the CT, this should to some effect keep the drag impacts more minimalized I would imagine?

Maybe some sort of pull out and pivot down stairs under the lower tail end of the topper could provide easy entry?

Additionally, the bed square portion of the camper could telescope up as well being I believe it is wider than a traditional truck bed. This could allow for under the floor storage or perhaps a sleeping arrangement? Some care would need to be take for the upwards and out sloping end of the CT.

Pictures I don't think would do it justice on just how hulking this thing would appear compared to standing by it....
One nice aspect of this is that all of my previous drawings required a mid gate. With a tail door this one might work even if Tesla does not come thru on the MG.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck CT Aero-perfect insert camper GnarlyDudeLive Pop top 7-21-21

More my speed.

Fold down the tailgate and put a zipper door in the back for a proper exit. If there is a midgate it would be a pretty large tent. You could have the pooper in the under vault storage.

Last edited:

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
GnarlyDudeLive Pop top 7-21-21.jpg

More my speed.

Fold down the tailgate and put a zipper door in the back for a proper exit. If there is a midgate it would be a pretty large tent. You could have the pooper in the under vault storage.
Dennis I totally agree. This is most realistic, especially financially. But who is the vendor? I am extremely happy with my Colorado Camper van. I will propose it to them.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Dennis I totally agree. This is most realistic, especially financially. But who is the vendor? I am extremely happy with my Colorado Camper van. I will propose it to them.
I'm not meaning to disparage your ideas... just thinking about my more modest thoughts. What if we did a pop up which didn't impact range.

It is not better/ worse, it's different.

The first option would be taller and have a sort of shelf where it overlaps the roof of the truck. The second is smaller but zero drag.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
With this approach, all four points can expand up instead of the aft portion
True, but this is simpler. Having pivots on one side is easier than having legs which move on both.

I could reasonably DIY this and make it pretty nice. Getting expanding legs to work reliably would be a lot trickier.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
True, but this is simpler. Having pivots on one side is easier than having legs which move on both.

I could reasonably DIY this and make it pretty nice. Getting expanding legs to work reliably would be a lot trickier.
I too can DIY with rigid walls and the ability to slide out of the bed. I will share a design after receiving the truck. It will be a while. I am playing with the idea as a mobile office but can be configured for camping.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I too can DIY with rigid walls and the ability to slide out of the bed. I will share a design after receiving the truck. It will be a while. I am playing with the idea as a mobile office but can be configured for camping.
LOL

I'm either less ambitious or less handy than you are. Or both!
Sponsored