jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Yes! lol.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. In order to do this Tesla will always drive down the cost of their vehicles. Lower price points make for a larger target audience. As Crissa just mentioned in another post, 2021 has so far been a year that can not compare to any other. Higher demand, peak production go with part shortages. The recent price increases are temporary and prices will lower again.

We also may get lucky with the new infrastructure bill if it passes, which could give Tesla buyers $10k off...... 2022 is the year I'm looking forward towards.
I confess to not keeping up with the bill. When and how probable is this? Is it a point of purchase discount when you write the check to Tesla for your Model Y or does it come off your taxes when you file?
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I agree that most of the competitiveness of the CT comes from its design and in particular from its manufacturing process.

Overall the raw materials of the car will be in the low $10k, if not even under, so the primary cost driver will be how efficiently it can be made. I remember in the 00's our local GM manufacturing costs were leaked, and they were making a full size sedans with V6 etc for $6500 from the factory floor, and selling them for +$30k.

Tesla have now had first hand experience on how not to do it on the M3, so I'm confident EMs emphasis will be on manufacturing streamlining.

There will most definitely be a lot of things missing, and because if that more cost effective whilst adding functionality.

BTW the vault cover is a must, because otherwise it will need a bigger battery insteaad to achieve range. Those range numbers will be with the vault closed.

OP
OP
jhogan2424

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I have experimented with fuel mileage by opening and closing my motorized tonneau cover on my F350 dually. I can tell no difference at all but that’s a whole different ballgame. Just because it has no effect on the Diesel engine doesn’t mean anything when it comes to an electric drivetrain. I’m sure the cover will have at minimum a noticeable affect on cybertruck range and probably a significant affect. I agree, it’s a must.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I have experimented with fuel mileage by opening and closing my motorized tonneau cover on my F350 dually. I can tell no difference at all but that’s a whole different ballgame. Just because it has no effect on the Diesel engine doesn’t mean anything when it comes to an electric drivetrain. I’m sure the cover will have at minimum a noticeable affect on cybertruck range and probably a significant affect. I agree, it’s a must.
Is your diesel fuel economy considered good to begin with?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The effect will be less on a diesel, because you're already burning so much fuel anyway to keep it going that little bit less resistance won't be noticeable. On a streamlined EV it will be more. I not sure how the Lightning does it though, they might just add more batteries to offset it.

But the CT also works differently aerodynamically. That sloping edge down the back has fairly laminar airflow which would be disrupted with an open bed. So you need the cover shut for highway speeds. Around town it won't matter much either.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Does anyone think the price of the model Y will decrease when they start using the 4680 cells? I kind of want a model Y too
May be not when they start but when Y supply meets demand. If Texas pumps out batteries at scale that can feed Semi, CT and Y without missing a beat, you will see Y prices fall.

Regarding pricing, I have had the same thoughts as OP for a while now. I do believe once Texas is running at full capacity, cost of Y and CT for Tesla will allow CT prices to be as advertised and Y prices to drop due to the fact that new Y will use casting, 4680 pack and probably improved assembly processes in Texas. However I question the assumption that most responses in this thread imply: Price of Y and CT is entirely a function of how much they cost for Tesla. I don’t believe this to be the case, there are may other factors that will play in Pricing:

1 - Supply issues
2 - Is there a Tax credit
3 - Does Tesla needs more funds for a expansion
4 - what competitors are doing with their pricing
5-10 stuff I can’t think of

If all of these are in an ideal state, I believe Tesla will try to make their products the best bang for the buck and clear choice in their class.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
May be not when they start but when Y supply meets demand. If Texas pumps out batteries at scale that can feed Semi, CT and Y without missing a beat, you will see Y prices fall.

Regarding pricing, I have had the same thoughts as OP for a while now. I do believe once Texas is running at full capacity, cost of Y and CT for Tesla will allow CT prices to be as advertised and Y prices to drop due to the fact that new Y will use casting, 4680 pack and probably improved assembly processes in Texas. However I question the assumption that most responses in this thread imply: Price of Y and CT is entirely a function of how much they cost for Tesla. I don’t believe this to be the case, there are may other factors that will play in Pricing:

1 - Supply issues
2 - Is there a Tax credit
3 - Does Tesla needs more funds for a expansion
4 - what competitors are doing with their pricing
5-10 stuff I can’t think of

If all of these are in an ideal state, I believe Tesla will try to make their products the best bang for the buck and clear choice in their class.
I'm pretty sure they're primarily modulating MY price with demand and manufacturing outputs to guage customer pain thresholds. If they see a drop in orders they can drop the price again to get orders up again.

As for margins on the 4680 I expect a price fall in a MY eventually but not until the structural pack is fully sorted.

One thing I don't think Tesla is, is capital constrained. Not any more at least. That means they can afford to do two production lines (MY and CT) in Austin, Berlin etc. All with 4680 lines. Therefore their price modulation is probably mostly to add profits to their bottom lines to sustain share price levels for future capital raising if they want to do more CT lines and other factories. Once the first CT roll off the line expect another few factories to be announced.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
..... I just think it will be odd to be at a Tesla dealership and see a basic model Y dual motor priced at the current $54,000, and sitting next to it a dual motor CT with all the above mentioned upgrades for $49,000. Seems like that could make the Y a hard sell to a lot of buyers when they see this CT with so many more cool features and it costs 10% less. ......
I completely see you point here. But the CT is "different" in all aspects of the finish and appearance. It's going to stick out no matter how you try to be incognito driving it. It's a real attempt to make a work class vehicle better than an ICE vehicle to prove that "throw all you knew away about trucks" and engineer one from the ground up that can do "most" everything a bad ass truck can do but better and do it via engineering the most cost effective way to manufacture it. It might not be pretty but it should be stout. Its really a statement by Tesla IMO, that *all* EV's can if you are willing to, be better than and more cost efficient than the ICE comparable.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I confess to not keeping up with the bill. When and how probable is this? Is it a point of purchase discount when you write the check to Tesla for your Model Y or does it come off your taxes when you file?
It doesn't require Republicans in Congress, so it will happen. When and what are sort of still up in the air.

-Crissa

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Y model is in high demand so intuitively the accountants are saying price up. If you were the only dealer in town where everyone wants the model you sell that's how prices are set. Demand high, prices go up.

OP
OP
jhogan2424

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
The Y model is in high demand so intuitively the accountants are saying price up. If you were the only dealer in town where everyone wants the model you sell that's how prices are set. Demand high, prices go up.
I understand, that’s quite simple. Demand for CT is very high. Is CT pricing going up?
Sponsored