How much does it cost currently at a super charge to fill up?

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
I understand it depends on battery pack and I assume the location ,but with a current Tesla if i am traveling down hwy and stop to use a super charge how much am i paying on average? An example gas prices vary greatly but it generally currently is about $50.00 a tank.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
$7. That's what it cost me yesterday.

However a hot dog and a bottle of water cost me more than $7.00 And my wife paid $7 for a latte. And my son $15 for a sandwich. So a charge can be pretty expensive.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
$7. That's what it cost me yesterday.

However a hot dog and a bottle of water cost me more than $7.00 And my wife paid $7 for a latte. And my son $15 for a sandwich. So a charge can be pretty expensive.
That is very useful information for me. I had always wondered what the cost would be to stop at a super charger. Were the latte and sandwich good?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Some chargers are a price per kWh and others are price per minute of charging.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Were the latte and sandwich good?
Dunno. I had the hot dog.

Cheap attempts at wit aside the answer clearly depends on how much energy you take on at each charge and how much it costs which varies from station to station. Here are some other numbers from my SC history.

$8.00
$12.61
$7.56
$10.22
$11.29
$12.14
$12.48
$5.00

Note that none of these represents a full tank. Typically a leg is determined by bladder capacity as much as battery capacity. Another consideration is that charge is taken on faster when the battery is close to empty than when it is close to full so that you will spend less total time at chargers if you charge from 20% to 60% twice than if you charge from 20% to 100% once. Play with ABRP to see what to expect.

Keep in mind that a CT is going to use 5/3 times as much electricity as an X so had I been driving a CT my costs would have been 5/3 times the numbers above.

Last edited:

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Dunno. I had the hot dog.

Cheap attempts at wit aside the answer clearly depends on how much energy you take on at each charge and how much it costs which varies from station to station. Here are some other numbers from my SC history.

$8.00
$12.61
$7.56
$10.22
$11.29
$12.14
$12.48
$5.00

Note that none of these represents a full tank. Typically a leg is determined by bladder capacity as much as battery capacity. Another consideration is that charge is taken on faster when the battery is close to empty than when it is close to full so that you will spend less total time at chargers of you charge from 20% to 60% twice than if you charge from 20% to 100% once. Play with ABRP to see what to expect.
Have you noted faster charging rates if you set the destination to a super charging station? I heard that the vehicle will precondition the battery so that it is at the optimal temperature to take on power.
Also, I did ask the question about food quality to actually know about it. I have very picky eaters (11 and 13 year olds); the latte quality is for my information.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If the nav systems sees you are approaching a SC it will bring the battery temperature into the optimum range for charging if that is necessary. When driving the motors and inverters produce heat and are cooled by a glycol loop. The battery is also on a glycol loop. The exact details of this I do not have but suffice it to say that there are loops with heat sources (motors, inverters, battery heater) and cooling sources (evaporator) that can be configured (pumps and valves) to bring the battery to whatever temperature is best for it under a particular set of driving conditions. Most people only super charge on road trips which means that the car has had some time to get the battery to operating temperature. Charging usually starts at a hefty rate and then tapers as SoC increases. Would that be faster if one just pulled into an SC without using the nav system? Can't say that I have noticed this effect but then I always approach SCs while on road trips. Would it make a difference if i left home for an SC on a cold morning. Yes, I think it would

As for the food quality: It was the SC at Maryland House in Aberdeen with which I am sure you are familiar..

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Too many variables to report cost precisely but my trips using supercharging have been 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of gas for a similar venture. Charging at work for me is "free" and at home considerably less than the superchargers. Most of my charging is at home or at work so my cost is a small fraction of my prior gasoline cost, maybe 1/8th to 1/10th. Depends on your circumstance, cost of gas, cost of electricity, how, where, when you drive, blah blah blah. Yesterday I drove my wife's 4Runner 150 miles home from work. Cost $30+ for gas. In my Model 3, I would have charged at work with an out of pocket cost of $0.00.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Oh, and of course the Cybertruck is not going to be as efficient as the Model 3, so there's that. But hey, my F350 ain't even close to efficient.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Some owners have free charging. at Some have free from a referral. ModeS and X if you buy now it's free. Y and 3 you pay unless unless you get a referral from someone. I got 5000 miles on a referral.

Use this. for 1000 miles free.. http://ts.la/harold4124

Tesla Cybertruck How much does it cost currently at a super charge to fill up? IMG_9285

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Friend of mine commutes from San Diego to LA every day, he told me he used to spend $800 a month on fuel. With his model X, he now spends $100/mo. Smells like a car payment to me. Free car, anyone?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Some chargers are a price per kWh and others are price per minute of charging.
Too many variables to report cost precisely ...
Seems people are still reading this thread.

The two quotes were true when they were posted but are now, for the most part, untrue. It's pretty much standard 28¢/kWh. Thus it's easy to figure what a charge will cost you. Just multiply the miles you intend to take on by the kWh/mi and then by 28¢. If using ABRP just put 28¢ into the cost field. If you have the paid version you don't even have to do that as the program gets the rates from the station. CAVEAT: Not all stations are updated and are shown as charging 7¢.
Sponsored