Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Will the AI driver be able to back up a trailer?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not currently, but it's in the plans. The camera assist mode makes it apparently really easy so far to back up a Tesla with a trailer.

-Crissa

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Backing a trailer is a learned skill.
You acquire it by doing it over and over.
Unless you are proficient at backing a trailer manually you should not pull a trailer even with AI.
What do you do if the technology fails?
There are a lot of horror stories where someone followed a GPS and ended up dying because they ended up in the boondocks without food/water/protection from the elements. Technology is a marvelous servant but a terrible master.
When I drove over the road I could put a 53 foot trailer wherever I wanted to put it, day or night.
Ironically it is harder to back a short trailer than it is to back a long one because it will get out from under you faster. A twenty foot pup trailer once made a fool out of me trying to get it squared up with the loading dock.
If you are going to pull a trailer find a place you can safely practice at and do it over and over until you feel like you have a good skill level. And practice at night too........that is the worse time to have to back one up and no place for on the job training.
And here is another free tip for the day.
Learn to read a road map and how to orient your position.
I use the various map apps all the time but I carry a truckers Rand McNally Road Atlas in my van.
Again......what if the technology fails?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
W
Will the AI driver be able to back up a trailer?
Well, I mean.... they did automate ISS docking. Just saying, but I'm sure you'll want to pay attention all the same.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
First thing I thought of when I read the thread title was the movie Baby Driver.

Immediately I was wondering if the Tesla AI could be used as a driver for a bank job. I’m sure Tesla AI could get good enough for the stunt driving in the movie. But I’m not sure I want to be a passenger.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
First thing I thought of when I read the thread title was the movie Baby Driver.

Immediately I was wondering if the Tesla AI could be used as a driver for a bank job. I’m sure Tesla AI could get good enough for the stunt driving in the movie. But I’m not sure I want to be a passenger.
That's why Optimus should be the stick-up guy and the passenger. Once they have determined no one is following them they can bring you the money! ?

/s

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That's why Optimus should be the stick-up guy and the passenger. Once they have determined no one is following them they can bring you the money! ?

/s
Optimus is going to need gun training. Only going 5 mph and easily overpowered means the heist is going to need something extra to induce the bank tellers to hand over the cash. Hopefully he’ll make it back to the truck before getting tackled from behind. Though if Optimus has 360 birds eye view, perhaps there is no “behind”. Flat ass Optimus.
Sponsored