Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Range Rover, Volvo XC-70,
Occupation
Med-tech entrepreneur
Country flag
With an order book as over-subscribed as the Cybertruck, should Tesla bother making the lower-cost models. Supply/demand suggests they could cancel all the non tri-motor orders and move my particular order up from 444,000 to number 007! Obviously I'm frustrated I was late to the party, but potentially leaving $30 grand on the table for every entry-level CT delivered, (compared to the tri-motor truck) seems like a poor business decision if production capacity is indeed limited. I'm sure my thoughts will irk a lot of people, but I have to believe this is under discussion by the board of directors.

Tesla Cybertruck Should Tesla Even Bother Making The Lower Priced Cybertruck Models IMG_2679
Sponsored

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
Agreed. The core components have to be the same for economies of scale, right? I can't imagine two sets of [fill in the blank part for light duty and heavy duty]. Why does a $40K truck need to be heavy duty enough to haul 14,000+ pounds? If you have ever owned and worked on a 2nd generation Tundra (7500 towing capacity) versus a Super Duty (13,200 towing capacity on mine), the parts are no where close to each other in size, strength etc. The Super Duty is a beast and the trucks pull high weight easily (towing with my Tundra was frightening).

It makes me think Tesla doesn't know how to build a Super Duty rated truck. But they are making a big rig, so I'm confused. Is the 1 motor truck going to be overbuilt and underpowered or is the 3 motor truck (I ordered) going to be overpowered and underbuilt?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Tesla has a history of building a better vehicle than you purchased. They software lock the batteries to achieve the lower range offerings. This tells me it is cheaper for Tesla to build to one standard and then to have multiple configurations. I think it is a waiting game for Tesla as they get paid to unlock the battery size if someone wants it. Tesla is likely to over build the single motor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The manufacturers dream would be to have a parts kit and 3 models one of, which, the "basic" uses one parts kit, a "premium" model which uses two and a '"luxury" which uses three. He'd start by building the luxury model as if he can build that he can clearly build the others as they are simpler. But his main motivation lies in the price structure. The basic is marked up 5%, the premium 10% and the luxury 25%. The luxury is bought by relatively few for whom money is no object. But there are enough of them that the money comes flowing in and that money is used to improve and expand the production line to the point where it can crank out the premium and basic models which, though they carry smaller margin, become the bread and butter of the company as they are bought en-masse. Look back over the history of Tesla. It roughly fits this pattern.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
The manufacturers dream would be to have a parts kit and 3 models one of, which, the "basic" uses one parts kit, a "premium" model which uses two and a '"luxury" which uses three. He'd start by building the luxury model as if he can build that he can clearly build the others as they are simpler. But his main motivation lies in the price structure. The basic is marked up 5%, the premium 10% and the luxury 25%. The luxury is bought by relatively few for whom money is no object. But there are enough of them that the money comes flowing in and that money is used to improve and expand the production line to the point where it can crank out the premium and basic models which, though they carry smaller margin, become the bread and butter of the company as they are bought en-masse. Look back over the history of Tesla. It roughly fits this pattern.
You just described F250, F350 and the Platinum, King Ranch, Lariat, XLT, and XL packages (in 3 cab configurations). Add gimmicky stuff and charge more. The trucks have the same (or stretched) metal and different electronics/plastics/leathers. The F350 has different springs/spacers. They even starting sharing insides and cabs with F150s. But the key to the F350 is they are all beefy enough for whatever tow package/cab configuration. All super duty stuff--literally.

My GX470 can tow 7500 lbs (6500?) and there's nothing Super Duty about it. My Super Duty is built really heavily and it's not even rated to tow 14,000+ lbs. I couldn't stick heavy springs on my GX470 and more HP (even stronger brakes) and feel comfortable towing my 8500 lb skidsteer in my 5000 lb dump trailer (like I do with my F250).

So the brakes/motor/battery/springs will have be far beefier in the 3M. Maybe more cross-bracing? But the exo-frame-shell-glass will be strong enough to handle it all. My guesses.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Agreed. The core components have to be the same for economies of scale, right? I can't imagine two sets of [fill in the blank part for light duty and heavy duty]. Why does a $40K truck need to be heavy duty enough to haul 14,000+ pounds? If you have ever owned and worked on a 2nd generation Tundra (7500 towing capacity) versus a Super Duty (13,200 towing capacity on mine), the parts are no where close to each other in size, strength etc. The Super Duty is a beast and the trucks pull high weight easily (towing with my Tundra was frightening).

It makes me think Tesla doesn't know how to build a Super Duty rated truck. But they are making a big rig, so I'm confused. Is the 1 motor truck going to be overbuilt and underpowered or is the 3 motor truck (I ordered) going to be overpowered and underbuilt?

There is a post on here that the rear wheel drive will have 2 motor's

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...k-rwd-model-will-be-dual-motor.582/#post-6321

Last edited:

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Tesla Semi will have 4

What technology does it have?
The Tesla Semi is powered by four electric motors from the Model 3 sedan. Each is controlled independently. Sensors will automatically adjust the motors to correct for pitch, yaw and traction. Two 15-inch touchscreen displays mounted on either side of the driver will provide access to navigation, blind-spot monitoring, telematics, maintenance and fleet management systems. Cameras mounted outside the cab provide surround view.

Byron Church

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC utility truck
Occupation
Plumber
Country flag
With an order book as over-subscribed as the Cybertruck, should Tesla bother making the lower-cost models. Supply/demand suggests they could cancel all the non tri-motor orders and move my particular order up from 444,000 to number 007! Obviously I'm frustrated I was late to the party, but potentially leaving $30 grand on the table for every entry-level CT delivered, (compared to the tri-motor truck) seems like a poor business decision if production capacity is indeed limited. I'm sure my thoughts will irk a lot of people, but I have to believe this is under discussion by the board of directors.

IMG_2679.jpg
I’m on the list for a base model. It seems Tesla is not one to chisel down there base units even the base is extremely pricy for this hippie plumber but if at all possible I’m all in with Tesla ! If it turns out To take an extra year I hope I’ll have the option to upgrade!

TintDepot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Solar Tint Distributor along with Vinyl Wrap, PPF & tint tools
Country flag
Tesla has a history of building a better vehicle than you purchased. They software lock the batteries to achieve the lower range offerings. This tells me it is cheaper for Tesla to build to one standard and then to have multiple configurations. I think it is a waiting game for Tesla as they get paid to unlock the battery size if someone wants it. Tesla is likely to over build the single motor.
And then 39k buyers, can upgrade every couple years and send more money to Tesla with each upgrade.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I ordered the baseline model but if I can ever get signed back into the site I'm going to attempt to upgrade to the 4wd model. I guess if all else fails I can cancel the order and start over but that would put me three months back.
Sponsored