Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm a retired construction worker and do graphics as a hobby. It amazes me how quickly Giga Texas is being built. I've had 35 years of being on job sites all over California, and nothing comes close to the scale and speed of this project. Lots of people on this Forum act like they are dragging their feet getting this built.
So I went to Google Earth and took measurements of the footprint of the building, with the measuring tool.
Look at these numbers and then go on Google Earth, to your town and use the measuring tool to compare the scale of Giga Texas to something you know. It's really hard to understand just how HUMUNGOUS that building is!

Tesla Cybertruck GIGA TEXAS size is ?? gigatexas
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just the footage of the parking lot is mind blowing. They have a huge number of people working at any given moment and they are running at least 2 shifts.

Fremont is able to crank out 600,000 cars/ year. I think Tesla is expecting this facility to crank out 2 million vehicles per year when it's completed and dialed in.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Was going to try and do Giga Berlin for comparison but unfortunately the sat view is outdated.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Was going to try and do Giga Berlin for comparison but unfortunately the sat view is outdated.
You're right, Google Earth doesn't have anything that shows Berlin. There are videos that people have made trying to compare those 2, but I don't know how accurate their estimates are. In my image, I put length and width in feet, so it would be as accurate as possible. The building is almost 3/4 of a mile long by just under 1/4 mile wide. The reason you see all the small side by side vehicles driving around, is because it would take forever to walk anywhere around that project.
I wonder if they are eventually going to do some boring tunnels throughout that area to move people around once it's completed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wonder if they are eventually going to do some boring tunnels throughout that area to move people around once it's completed.
The machines are going to do all the moving once the factory is built. People will have areas where they work, but The bulk of the movement will be cars and parts getting shuffled either to the next step in the assembly line.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The machines are going to do all the moving once the factory is built. People will have areas where they work, but The bulk of the movement will be cars and parts getting shuffled either to the next step in the assembly line.
I worked inside a Proctor and Gamble paper mill years ago, and yes it's almost all automation, but I was walking around inside that big plant servicing equipment, and it takes forever without a forklift or some kind of vehicle. They had massive robotic forklifts carrying around massive paper rolls, I'd have to watch out for. That plant was 1/3 the size of Giga Texas. I never measured it, but I bet I'd average 6-8 miles a day, (we were working 12-hour shifts, though).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I worked inside a Proctor and Gamble paper mill years ago, and yes it's almost all automation, but I was walking around inside that big plant servicing equipment, and it takes forever without a forklift or some kind of vehicle. They had massive robotic forklifts carrying around massive paper rolls, I'd have to watch out for. That plant was 1/3 the size of Giga Texas. I never measured it, but I bet I'd average 6-8 miles a day, (we were working 12-hour shifts, though).
Yeah, once you get that big, adding some kind of in-building transport system or corridors to move people and equipment around starts to become more important.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm a retired construction worker and do graphics as a hobby. It amazes me how quickly Giga Texas is being built. I've had 35 years of being on job sites all over California, and nothing comes close to the scale and speed of this project. Lots of people on this Forum act like they are dragging their feet getting this built.
So I went to Google Earth and took measurements of the footprint of the building, with the measuring tool.
Look at these numbers and then go on Google Earth, to your town and use the measuring tool to compare the scale of Giga Texas to something you know. It's really hard to understand just how HUMUNGOUS that building is!

gigatexas.jpg
And this is just Phase I

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
They need to have these available to get around.

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep, it’s big like the sun is really big but what’s going on inside is almost as staggering.
Shanghai reported reaching output of 1000 model Ys.
In three 8 hour shifts that’s 1 car every 1.5 minutes. Can’t be one line, right? You couldn’t get the car moved through the plant under it’s own power in 1.5 minutes. Do they have one line feeding 5 lines of seats, headliners, steering wheels, and monitor installs?
If so and there are 6 six ton IDRA’ s that presupposes 3 active non-CT lines …feeding 15 manual lines?
Or am I looking at this wrong? I’m crashing man, I’m coming down hard! ?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Yep, it’s big like the sun is really big but what’s going on inside is almost as staggering.
In three 8 hour shifts that’s 1 car every 1.5 minutes. Can’t be one line, right? You couldn’t get the car moved through the plant under it’s own power in 1.5 minutes. Do they have one line feeding 5 lines of seats, headliners, steering wheels, and monitor installs?
If so and there are 6 six ton IDRA’ s that presupposes 3 active non-CT lines …feeding 15 manual lines?
1.5 minutes really means the longest step in the production process, either single line or divided by multiple lines to produce the step. Ultimately measured by a car being spit out every 1.5 minutes but does not tell us the time a single car takes to complete the line.

simplified,

time for a single car through production / number of unit through production = 1.5 minutes in this example

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Yeah I think you might have the wrong mindset going on.

For instance it could take 24 hours to complete a car as an (not real) example. At the same time however, there could be 960 other cars in total being build simultaneously but at different stages of completion. So at 24 hours the first car is completed and every 1.5 minutes later another car is completed as well as another car is just being started on. I believe your view (or the way I read it) is that the entire factor is dedicated to working and completing cars one at a time.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I'm a retired construction worker <Snip>
Construction junkie too.

Rarely does a construction size facilitate production(i.e. qty/da). It was just a beyond humungous task!

It was the water table, perched water and fill on-site that caught my attention. The low elevation of the ground below the freeway, creek traversing the site(read drainage) and the timeline hit to lift(raise in elevation) and backfill(dewatering and dirt fill) added to the overall time-to-completion.

My concern continues that the site remains at-risk to rain, runoff flooding and underground water that impacts the operational status of Tesla and its Austin factory production longterm.
Sponsored