Tesla’s Musk Says U.S. Electricity Production Needs to Double to Power Transition to EV Vehicles

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla’s Musk Says U.S. Electricity Production Needs to Double to Power Transition to EV Vehicles

By
Al Root
Oct. 3, 2021 8:00 am ET

Tesla CEO Elon Musk believes that electrifying personal transportation will require electricity generating capacity to double.

And while ramping up output might feel daunting for anyone worried about the transition to electric vehicles, investors—and U.S. consumers turning on the lights—shouldn’t worry.

tesla-elon-musk-electric-vehicle-production-51633202912

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-elon-musk-electric-vehicle-production-51633202912
Sponsored

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Here's a good video from an engineer's point of view of the effect on the grid

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
EVs have batteries, not extension cords. They can charge whenever it's convenient, not at peak demand.
They can charge whenever it's convenient... and they are near a charger.

That last bit is important. Particularly as more and more solar power comes online and we have surplus power during certain parts of the day. A friend of mine commutes 90 miles!! each way to work and often is gone all day when solar power is plentiful.

That's why I think solar EV chargers at the work-place is such a fantastic opportunity to put the power where the usage is.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
The San Onofre reactor could power all of San Diego county at 50% capacity, so maybe instead of shutting it all down because people are afraid of steam puffs we should have turned in the other core.

Nuclear would go a long way towards making this real.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The San Onofre reactor could power all of San Diego county at 50% capacity, so maybe instead of shutting it all down because people are afraid of steam puffs we should have turned in the other core.

Nuclear would go a long way towards making this real.
I think nuclear should be kept online as long as safe, particularly shuttering nuclear in favor of natural gas or coal is a terrible idea. There are also some very interesting small scale nuclear reactors which might make sense to bring online.

But I'm not sure the San Onfre is a great example of a nuclear power plant with a great performance record though.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
But I'm not sure the San Onfre is a great example of a nuclear power plant with a great performance record though.
Cosnsidering how many coal and gas plants I walked next to on the beaches from Ventura down to Imperial beach, I'll take the nuclear reactor that was being watched closely to the plumes of offal. Solar is wonderful for transitioning off fossil fuels, but there needs to be an endgame. Unfortunately the cold war made a few generation fear the word "nuclear" to an irrational degree.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the swathes of towns that people can no longer live in did that more than potential nuclear war. It wasn't until long after the end of the cold war that shut down protests gained steam.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Solar and wind are intermittent, they need energy storage. Electric cars have batteries and that is storage.
Sponsored