John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I'm just going to buy a used model 3. I will get back nearly all of it when I sell and enjoy my fuel savings while I wait. I think it will be a bit quicker than some seem to think. My ICE is old and has nearly 400000 miles.
Consider long range Y without any fixings (rims, any color other than white and stick with black interior) you may find a new Y not that far off a used 3.
Sponsored

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
It drives me crazy to order a vehicle in November 2019 and hoping you would get that vehicle in say 2 years, and now realize the first FEW Cybertrucks will roll off the line at the end of 2022....we hope.

And realizing the waiting list, and production ramp, will mean I could very well get my name called at the end of 2023.

Order it Nov 2019. Get it Nov 2023? That is what drives me crazy. 'cause I want it now.

you didn’t really “order a vehicle”, you put a deposit down for the right to order a vehicle when they became available.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
you didn’t really “order a vehicle”, you put a deposit down for the right to order a vehicle when they became available.
Some people now though seem to be ordering Tesla to hurry up and produce their CTs already. LOL.

Not that any of us will be getting our CTs any faster. No hope of getting a CT shipped till the prerequisite items (like batteries) are fully available.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Here I am, bored and content waiting. Thinking the only ones whose gripes are legitimate are those who are close to the end of their driving careers. Everyone else is just 1st world complaints. Perspective.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Here I am, bored and content waiting. Thinking the only ones whose gripes are legitimate are those who are close to the end of their driving careers. Everyone else is just 1st world complaints. Perspective.
Makes me vant to throwcomputer out the vindow

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Not a religious person but those are good words to live by.

Climate change is something that can only be impacted by large scale policy change. I could be a perfect person and it would make zero impact.

I can and do choose to do things which minimize the impact I have on the planet, but I am also going to enjoy what life I can. So I travel as much as I can and try to enjoy the world while I can. At the same time, I try to leave no trace and do it in as low impact way as possible.
I'm hearing that you believe that your impact is so small as to not matter, and also that it's ok for you to go on enjoying your life, indeed your right to do so, and that only the government can fix this. You also are saying you try to leave no trace. Am I missing anything or have I got this fairly close to what you are saying?

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I'm hearing that you believe that your impact is so small as to not matter, and also that it's ok for you to go on enjoying your life, indeed your right to do so, and that only the government can fix this. You also are saying you try to leave no trace. Am I missing anything or have I got this fairly close to what you are saying?
He is correct. Only government legislation is going to reduce the impacts of climate change. There are already huge changes happening now, and baked into the system coming your way. The greater the delay and protestations of the status quo, the bigger the government intervention will be.
Beautiful irony.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
<snip>

Climate change is something that can only be impacted by large scale policy change. I could be a perfect person and it would make zero impact.

<Snip>
It’s not about whether individual action can make a difference, but realising Humanity has always been the all-powerful impact – individual choice in collective behavior trips a ripple into tidal wave proportions.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It’s not about whether individual action can make a difference, but realising Humanity has always been the all-powerful impact – individual choice in collective behavior trips a ripple into tidal wave proportions.
And the only way to sustain collective choice is via government. For the People, by the People. E pluribus Unum.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
CalFire will offer free brush chipping to make defensible areas. You can plant different coverage that produces less underbrush.

You can also donate or sell your land to a trust, instead of having to maintain it yourself.

If you own land, you are responsible for it.

-Crissa
So Cal. firestorms taught that residential structures with closed eaves, metal roofing(read fire retardant) and non-flamable siding(i.e.cemeticious, metal, and which minimize glass % wall areas can survive. California fires are fast wind driven firestorms that blow right through picture windows out the other side of a house.

So Cal fires ride atop tree canopy to tree canopy burning brush as it travels. Wind does the damage, defensible space is 30’ but once you’ve seen wind-driven fire, 100’ emotionally feels like a safer margin.

If the home abuts rock cliff formation two scenarios will be determined by terrain. A wall that fire storms meets head-on creates a fireplace for your home-as-tinder.

If your home rests at the toe of a steep slope, wind-driven fire approaching from the top of slope will cascade down the path of least resistance and white-ash intensify in gulches. Hopeless is the home enveloped in a gulch. Otherwise, chances it could sweep across top of the home are real that it must withstand 100% fire intensity.

Best scenario 30mph winds move fire quickly and the home is skipped over.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
The Cybertruck reveal was Nov. 21 2019. The night I put down my deposit. I remember it clearly, almost as if it were yesterday.
Slept on it until next morning and the jolt of its design remains to this day.

In narrative form its called “the turn” of the automobile story. Turning from internal combustion to battery powered electric in a 1 million order pivot.

No experience in my lifetime ever instantly put the present into the past. ICE and automobiles burning gasoline both became dinosaurs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes. They say 100'.
So Cal fires ride atop tree canopy to tree canopy burning brush ...
Brush is different than canopy. They're different kinds of fire.

Keeping brush away is different than keeping the canopy away, the latter doesn't matter as much as branches not within reach as the house. So the burning brands can't spread to weak understory branches when they land on the roof; and the underbrush doesn't cause a conflagration that will spread to the walls or decking.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
It's much more difficult for workers to move than capital.

-Crissa
Mexican maquiladoras taught that non-US talent is just over the border and that their QC rivals any US assembly. Sounds like Tesla now has some outreach necessary to build a workforce from scratch. Seems emigrants at USA borders could use temp. green cards right about now.

Who is running his staffing operations that It’s a little late or slow on the uptake to find out Texans don’t want to work building a future in Austin or just hate working indoors or assembly line work.

America is a place for those who seize her opportunity and answer her promise to give me your tired, your poor huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

More than United States American’s, Elon knows how true and alive is the American opportunity for those willing to pull up stakes

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Slept on it until next morning and the jolt of its design remains to this day.

In narrative form its called “the turn” of the automobile story. Turning from internal combustion to battery powered electric in a 1 million order pivot.

No experience in my lifetime ever instantly put the present into the past. ICE and automobiles burning gasoline both became dinosaurs.
It took me a couple of days to snap out of it, as I realized this was what I'd been waiting for, a badass stainless space capsule. I got home from work, and became an excited res holder.
Sponsored