Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I'm no account but if you have 1.5 million vehicles pre-sold and you make $1000.00 bucks on each vehicle you just put 1.5 billion in the bank. After the initial pre-sales are delivered Tesla could raise (or lower) the price as they see fit.
There is also the add-ons that people will opt for. The price we locked in at was probably for the bare bones truck. They can stick to the quoted price for the base model and still jack up the price of the options consumers want.
There's more than one way to skin a cat (there's just no way to make him like it).
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am sure hope, that ELON doesn't let us down for those who order the single motor variants. because of the truck i got into tesla stock as will. nothing like a winner to put your cash down on. the day it was unveiled, I jump in and placed an order. He can't cancel it just because of the money. once they hit the ground this truck will shoot to the moon. and i want to be on the rocket when it takes off. A contract is a contract elon give us are trucks. If you want to make all the other auto maker cry build this truck .
Tesla has always delivered their pre-ordered vehicles…. Eventually.

It might be 2026 before you see it though.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm no account but if you have 1.5 million vehicles pre-sold and you make $1000.00 bucks on each vehicle you just put 1.5 billion in the bank. After the initial pre-sales are delivered Tesla could raise (or lower) the price as they see fit.
There is also the add-ons that people will opt for. The price we locked in at was probably for the bare bones truck. They can stick to the quoted price for the base model and still jack up the price of the options consumers want.
There's more than one way to skin a cat (there's just no way to make him like it).
The problem comes in when they start talking about subsidies. Can’t add on too many add ons if there is an $80k cap on vehicle price and base truck is $70k.

I would very much like a solar upgrade and would probably pay more than makes sense to get it.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
The problem comes in when they start talking about subsidies. Can’t add on too many add ons if there is an $80k cap on vehicle price and base truck is $70k.
If I'm locked in at 70K and I put another 5k on the price then Tesla is still going to make a chunk of money depending on what my options cost them. Not counting FSD I can't see adding 10K to the price of mine with options. If they make FSD a monthly subscription so much the better.
Tesla may play the long game and keep the price of options low to stay under the 80k cap.
If it only costs them 65k to build it after all overhead then they are going to make 10K each.
They will be printing money.
75k will prob be the most I'd be willing to pay unless I have a very large down payment saved up or my Tesla stock has appreciated to the point I could sell it and use it as part of the down payment.
I don't know what their margin will be on the CT but their margins on the cars are above the norm for the other manufacturers.
By the time production is fully ramped up (mid 2022?) they will be building them as cheaply and as fast as they can.
They may even drop the single motor version to clear a production line for the two and tri-motor versions. If they cut the people that reserved the single motor a deal and let them upgrade for a little more money I think most people would do it.
It will prob take at least two years just to clear the pre-orders.
By 2025 Ford and GM are going to find out just how screwed they are. :eek::eek:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well, they're not, I think was the point.

Ford limited their sales to 200k at the price.

-Crissa
It can also be said… Ford capped their loss.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Did this age well?
Hmm.

Yeah. It did.

Look what a shit show Rivian’s increase was. With full reversal for people who had configured their trucks.

Pretty much a case study of how Tesla should not and almost certainly will not do things.

Your little gloating snark on the other hand… not didn’t age well at all did it?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Did this age well?
I am oddly leaning towards believing that Rivian may have done that price hike fiasco for publicity. Telsa has done these types of hikes before and it didn't go over well. Rivian in no way could have been dumb enough to make such significant increases and think that people would just go with the flow. No way in the world. There is no easy way to tell people an increase is coming. No matter what you look like the bad guy. Rivian probably had that apology letter already drafted. They chose the make the move and ask for forgiveness later approach knowing that the push back was coming and in my opinion probably figured that it would get them a little attention in the process. Tesla is constantly getting negative attention, but it keeps them at the forefront of the EV media.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Mate, a 500 or 1000 hikes and there are options if you want

$20,000 only shares the same name.... hike !

One is a hike, and the other is a shocking price increase

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I am oddly leaning towards believing that Rivian may have done that price hike fiasco for publicity. Telsa has done these types of hikes before and it didn't go over well. Rivian in no way could have been dumb enough to make such significant increases and think that people would just go with the flow. No way in the world. There is no easy way to tell people an increase is coming. No matter what you look like the bad guy. Rivian probably had that apology letter already drafted. They chose the make the move and ask for forgiveness later approach knowing that the push back was coming and in my opinion probably figured that it would get them a little attention in the process. Tesla is constantly getting negative attention, but it keeps them at the forefront of the EV media.
"A man's reach should exceed his grasp
Or what's heaven for?"

If you were Mr. Rivian and you had a zillion orders but only a trickle coming out the door, what would you try?