Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Ten sites in the Netherlands are being opens to other brands. The sites are listed in the Tesla app under non-Tesla charging. https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Only sites that are not busy will be selected for this program, and currently only residents of the Netherlands can participate. Tesla says they plan to expand their program to more nations and stations, based upon network load, as they roll out more Superchargers across the world, tripling the number of Superchargers in the next two years.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Cybertaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor x3, Dual Motor x2
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I watched a Jaguar EV charge at a supercharger in MA today. Wasn't even in the spot all the way

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Apparently my thoughts that Tesla would have to charge the same amount to non-Tesla owners were way off base. From the sounds of it, if you don’t own a Tesla, you have the choice of paying a higher rate or paying a monthly membership fee to charge at the same rate as Tesla owners.

If they do indeed triple their network, the Tesla EV network will be pretty irresistible. Also, the membership fee is a bit of a lock in. From what I’ve seen, Superchargers are less expensive than most other charging networks. This means Tesla can keep their rates low. Reward Tesla owners and profit significantly from non-Tesla owners.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, at $13 a month vs an extra 30¢ per kWh isn't really that much of a lock in. It pays for itself at one Supercharge per month. You basically get your money back.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is a “lock in” in the same way Amazon Prime or Costco is a lock in. You get a membership because it is essentially “Free” if you use it even a small amount. Once you have the membership, you use the product more because it is less expensive each time you charge. I know people who have bought Costco Memberships just for the car purchase program or some other Costco benefit and ended up lifetime members. It is a good business model.

Currently Tesla locates Superchargers near amenities. Soon maybe they start opening charging stations with amenities. Tesla has already started talking about roadside cafes. Essentially, Tesla is making a play to become the de-facto power source for EVs on the go with membership fees or vehicle purchases funding the expansion.

Will I be able to buy a Tesla franchise eventually?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I just saw from Electrek that Tesla has just significantly increased the number of superchargers available to non-Tesla owners in Europe.

https://electrek.co/2022/05/23/tesl...-largest-public-150-kw-fast-charging-network/

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on opening the network to non-Tesla EV's. The progressive socially responsible part of me loves it because it will be a net gain for society, but the greedy conservative part of me wants the network to be limited to us Tesla users so there'll be less possibility of having to wait.

Thoughts...?

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just saw from Electrek that Tesla has just significantly increased the number of superchargers available to non-Tesla owners in Europe.

https://electrek.co/2022/05/23/tesl...-largest-public-150-kw-fast-charging-network/

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on opening the network to non-Tesla EV's. The progressive socially responsible part of me loves it because it will be a net gain for society, but the greedy conservative part of me wants the network to be limited to us Tesla users so there'll be less possibility of having to wait.

Thoughts...?
More is better.

Tesla has the superior charging user experience. It'll sell Teslas.

And being compatible with CCS stations just means more choice where you charge your Tesla, too.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Thoughts...?
My only concern about this is congestion and idiots with non-Tesla’s blocking stalls (Which makes congestion worse).

Since 70% of EVs sold in the US are Teslas and since a fair number of the non-Tesla EVs are not well suited for road trips (poor fast charging and crappy range), I suspect it won’t be as huge an impact as many think it will.

Tesla needs to expand their network faster. If supporting other EVs helps, then I’m all for it.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
My only concern about this is congestion and idiots with non-Tesla’s blocking stalls (Which makes congestion worse).

Since 70% of EVs sold in the US are Teslas and since a fair number of the non-Tesla EVs are not well suited for road trips (poor fast charging and crappy range), I suspect it won’t be as huge an impact as many think it will.

Tesla needs to expand their network faster. If supporting other EVs helps, then I’m all for it.
Those are very good points. I'm glad I asked.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Ten sites in the Netherlands are being opens to other brands. The sites are listed in the Tesla app under non-Tesla charging. https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Only sites that are not busy will be selected for this program, and currently only residents of the Netherlands can participate. Tesla says they plan to expand their program to more nations and stations, based upon network load, as they roll out more Superchargers across the world, tripling the number of Superchargers in the next two years.

-Crissa
And a dozen sites are opening up here in the UK.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
i dunno the best thing about buying a tesla right now is the charging infrastructure. That is why its ok to pay the premium for a tesla, its one of the main reason i got my MYP. If ppl could now just buy the cheapest EV and use the superchargers they will get clogged up really quickly. In SF where we have thousands of teslas, we only have 1 decent supercharger. Tesla should look into leasing or buying out some warehouses in the dogpatch area and build out a multiple level charging hub open 24/7, like 100 chargers. Would be a huge investment, but last i checked they have tons of cash.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I am in SF as well. Thankfully my employer has 20+ slots of chargers available and subsidized to capture spare the air credits for them. The low speed free chargers a t a few of the shopping malls are helpful but not rally efficient. Better infrastructure is really needed in the Bay Area.
Sponsored