Lex Fridman interviews Elon Musk (12/28/2021)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is a broad interview. Lots of SpaceX, Tesla, Mars colonization, FSD...

FSD chat starts around the 1 hour mark so if that's your main interest, skip forward a lot; but the whole thing is interesting. Also, even the FSD stuff is kind of deep.

Musk suggests "Level 4" self driving is likely next year... of course he's made similar claims previously so I suggest you bring some salt.
  1. FSD is turning meatspace into accurate vector space.
  2. FSD 11 is coming soon was originally planned for this year.
  3. Single stack (Highway, Smart Summon, City Streets all under one stack)
  4. Will require another complete retraining due to the changes in the engine.
  5. Lots of efforts to reduce latency.
  6. Tesla will ready for Level 4 automation/ self driving next year.
  7. Then regulations will _____
  8. It will need to be much better than human drivers before it can be released.
  9. FSD 11 is *another* significant re-write/ refactor. Eliminates a lot of manual processing and leans heavier on neural nets.
Other stuff:
  • Human on Mars in 5-10 years.
  • Lots of Mars talk... good stuff.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There is a really interesting bit on the TeslaBot as a companion (Not that way @John K). They started talking about it being a great partner for your car and Lex said something about the car not being a companion the way the TeslaBot could. Then Musk says the car (I'm sure he meant Cybertruck) could be your companion too.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There is a really interesting bit on the TeslaBot as a companion (Not that way @John K). They started talking about it being a great partner for your car and Lex said something about the car not being a companion the way the TeslaBot could. Then Musk says the car (I'm sure he meant Cybertruck) could be your companion too.

K.I.T.T.

Fantasy meets Reality

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Lex, in the early days, as professor of Ai at MIT, scoffed at the idea of self-driving succeeding any time soon. (2018 ?)

I forget the name of the AI expert he interviewed, but they (and others at the time) were sceptical, and IMHO couldn't fathom how anyone could believe they could break through barriers which they couldn't.

Interestingly, relying on their experience and expertise, to explain to us fanboys/girls the seemingly unsurpassable barriers.

To me, it sounded really arrogant, naive and dare I say it some envy and jealousy ... people are human.

To his credit, Lex turned it around.

I'll be watching it tonight.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Lex, in the early days, as professor of Ai at MIT, scoffed at the idea of self-driving succeeding any time soon. (2018 ?)

I forget the name of the AI expert he interviewed, but they (and others at the time) were sceptical, and IMHO couldn't fathom how anyone could believe they could break through barriers which they couldn't.

Interestingly, relying on their experience and expertise, to explain to us fanboys/girls the seemingly unsurpassable barriers.

To me, it sounded really arrogant, naive and dare I say it some envy and jealousy ... people are human.

To his credit, Lex turned it around.

I'll be watching it tonight.
Also, Elon admitted the problem was harder than he thought so its not like Lex was totally wrong. Elon was saying it would be solved "next year" back then and they where skeptical... and... its taken longer. I have huge respect for Elon, Tesla and FSD driving team, and Lex. Anyone who thinks Lex is arrogant must not watch many of his interviews/podcasts. Lex seems like the one of most down to earth and humble people to me.

Loved the interview and I think you can tell Elon likes talking with Lex (probably why its his third interview with him).

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is a broad interview. Lots of SpaceX, Tesla, Mars colonization, FSD...

FSD chat starts around the 1 hour mark so if that's your main interest, skip forward a lot; but the whole thing is interesting. Also, even the FSD stuff is kind of deep.

Musk suggests "Level 4" self driving is likely next year... of course he's made similar claims previously so I suggest you bring some salt.
  1. FSD is turning meatspace into accurate vector space.
  2. FSD 11 is coming soon was originally planned for this year.
  3. Single stack (Highway, Smart Summon, City Streets all under one stack)
  4. Will require another complete retraining due to the changes in the engine.
  5. Lots of efforts to reduce latency.
  6. Tesla will ready for Level 4 automation/ self driving next year.
  7. Then regulations will _____
  8. It will need to be much better than human drivers before it can be released.
  9. FSD 11 is *another* significant re-write/ refactor. Eliminates a lot of manual processing and leans heavier on neural nets.
Other stuff:
  • Human on Mars in 5-10 years.
  • Lots of Mars talk... good stuff.

What is "meatspace" (trying to decide if this play on metaspace...but where us meat filled organisms live?)

I did really enjoy that part of the conversation- especially the "giant bag of points" issue. When Elon rattled off all the things they need to do to improve (convert to photons, retrain, integrate the bag of points, etc) it does sound like a lot of work for FSD team in the next year to get there. I was really hoping for a Dojo update but oh well.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What is "meatspace" (trying to decide if this play on metaspace... but where us meat filled organisms live?)

I did really enjoy that part of the conversation- especially the "giant bag of points" issue. When Elon rattled off all the things they need to do to improve (convert to photons, retrain, integrate the bag of points, etc) it does sound like a lot of work for FSD team in the next year to get there. I was really hoping for a Dojo update but oh well.
I plan on seeing the whole interview soon. [UPDATE: I did today Jan 10 2022 it was very informative]
However, someone I follow did a review of the Tesla Bot related components of this long interview. FSD was discussed in relation to the Tesla Bot:
Elon Musk’s MIND BLOWING Tesla Bot UPDATE
Here is the link: Elon Musk’s MIND BLOWING Tesla Bot UPDATE ?? - YouTube

A lot of new stuff was revealed during the interview about the Tesla Bot, also known as the Optimus project. For a point form resumé see at 10:45 into the YouTube video. It is an interesting analysis of what was said about the upcoming Tesla Bot (i.e., possible prototype by the end of 2022?).

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I plan on seeing the whole interview soon.
However, someone I follow did a review of the Tesla Bot related components of this long interview. FSD was discussed in relation to the Tesla Bot:
Elon Musk’s MIND BLOWING Tesla Bot UPDATE
Here is the link: Elon Musk’s MIND BLOWING Tesla Bot UPDATE ?? - YouTube

A lot of new stuff was revealed during the interview about the Tesla Bot, also known as the Optimus project. For a point form resumé see at 10:45 into the YouTube video. It is an interesting analysis of what was said about the upcoming Tesla Bot (i.e., possible prototype by the end of 2022?).

One way the Teslabot would be extremely helpful is with people that need nursing help. When you have someone in your home that is paralyzed, there are lots of tasks that require physical strength, and nursing help. With our non-verbal handicap daughter, we have never left her alone with a male nurse. With a Teslabot that wouldn't be an issue. I would hope with Teslabot you could retrieve memories of events also.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What is "meatspace" (trying to decide if this play on metaspace...but where us meat filled organisms live?)

Yeah, the real world where us meat bags exist.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
As an engineer and programmer, I've always doubted that FSD could ever beat a human driver on average in the real world. But, the more I learn about Tesla's FSD development, the more I can see how it just might work. I really appreciated Elon going into the technical details in this interview. Helps me to understand the obstacles they're up against and how they plan to address them.

I'm starting to think FSD that works better than a human might actually happen.

As for the other robo-car companies...I really don't think they will ever work better than a human until they take the approach that Tesla is pioneering: Reduce the heuristics, tap into a massive amount of training data collected by millions of real world miles, create a vector space based on optical data only, and mimic the human brain with neural nets. Nobody else is doing this, to my knowledge.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One way the Teslabot would be extremely helpful is with people that need nursing help. When you have someone in your home that is paralyzed, there are lots of tasks that require physical strength, and nursing help. With our non-verbal handicap daughter, we have never left her alone with a male nurse. With a Teslabot that wouldn't be an issue. I would hope with Teslabot you could retrieve memories of events also.
Sorry Joe you have to have those worries.
Yes, I would think Teslabots could possible be a very comforting support system and protector for humans. I would not say specifically "malesnurses", I would say "human nurses in general". Just think of what could be happening on Mars if we attempted to "Occupy Mars" with a mixed bunch of humans of all sorts. There are so many ethical issues to think about in a new space colony. You would hope that the Teslabot would be there to help all human lives from the day-to-day living, living in the hostile environment of Mars (or else) and from each other (humans perhaps and Bots glitches). I am not saying as directly policing, but perhaps as being witnesses and alarms and a lot more. Starting here on earth with ethical nursing behavior (named: "the ethics of caring") would be very useful if we plan to go elsewhere.
Sponsored

Last edited: