Taking too long... Just Ordered a Model Y.

Zinc

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator, Tesla Cybertruck order 1 year.
Country flag
The model Y is the absolute best car I have ever driven or owned, and I have driven 100's as a previous car salesman and have owned quite a few.

I paid $49k a year ago for a 2021 model. Kelley Bluebook is showing $59k for 2020's with 30k miles. Mine is a year newer with 20k miles. I have literally paid less than $10 for electricity for all 20k miles as Tesla gave a free year of supercharging when I took delivery. Taking delivery of a Performance Y in a couple weeks that was $61k at order, now $64k. Should be able to sell the old car to someone near $60k.
Wouldn't it make sense to trade the old one in for the sales tax savings alone? Even if they offered 2k less than what retail will pay, 6.5% or 7% is nearly 4k in savings.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Wouldn't it make sense to trade the old one in for the sales tax savings alone? Even if they offered 2k less than what retail will pay, 6.5% or 7% is nearly 4k in savings.
yeah, I always factor that in. It depends on how much premium I can make selling privately. I really don't want to sell privately, it's a PITA. Looking at private sales I see them listed for $35K similar condition, similar mileage. I'm assuming I won't get that, but maybe $32K-$33K. I think Carmax will offer around $27K, certainly other online trade-in quotes it around that. A $5-$6K difference might be worth the pain, even factoring in $2K in sales tax savings. I have to think long and hard about it because $3K may not be worth the pain of selling privately. I'm worried about the payment process, to be honest, there are escrow services around. Much depends on the offers I'm seeing. Carmax is always last minute because second and third offers from carmax after the prior offer expires are much lower.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Agreed. There will be some who won't know or won't care, let them have the Freemont Ys... actually, if I could specify local delivery in Texas, I would do that to get an Austin Y. Even though it would technically have to be sold from a neighboring state I believe because of Texas dealer laws. I'm happy to do a short flight and a long drive back if it guarantees I get one.
Thats my plan for the CT

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Who in their right mind will want a Model Y from Freemont when Austin Models will have front and Rear Castings (I don't believe Freemont is doing front castings, correct me if I am wrong) as well as the worlds greatest paint shop.

There has been to be a way for you to request an Austin model.
why would anyone care when they're getting the specs of the model they ordered? this Fremont vs Austin thing is just dumb.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
why would anyone care when they're getting the specs of the model they ordered? this Fremont vs Austin thing is just dumb.
98% of people ordering a Model Y are not going to know that there is even a difference, so point to you.
Would you take a Freemont Y over an Austin Y? I personally would not. I absolutely love my Model 3 but getting a very early model, I have several paint issues. All minor in the grand scheme of things but if I were offered a choice???

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
98% of people ordering a Model Y are not going to know that there is even a difference, so point to you.
Would you take a Freemont Y over an Austin Y? I personally would not. I absolutely love my Model 3 but getting a very early model, I have several paint issues. All minor in the grand scheme of things but if I were offered a choice???
I want the vehicle with the specs I ordered.... Fremont and Austin can do that so I wouldn't care.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I'm a geek, who has followed Tesla obsessively for many years. I know that Y's from Austin will use some different manufacturing techniques such as front and rear castings. They also may have 4680 cells, no one but Tesla knows when. 4680 cell based Y's with front and rear castings could be a couple of hundred pounds lighter, may charge faster (people will debate that). To me these are worth it, because although they may sell the car to a particular spec, the Austin cars may exceed it. Or be better in ways not typically communicated to the consumer such as rigidity or long term reduction in rattles etc.

To give a different example, if I was buying a Y or 3 from Fremont I would want to get one with a Ryzen chip. Why? The existing CPU/GPU combo works just fine, but the Ryzen is much more performant and responsive. Why wouldn't I want that?

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Not sure the rules where you live, but in MO, you can sell your own car and submit for sales tax reimbursement for the difference... no need to take the low ball offer from the dealers... Tesla included. I sold my truck, instead of trading it on my M3P, for nearly $5000 more than Tesla offered.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Not sure the rules where you live, but in MO, you can sell your own car and submit for sales tax reimbursement for the difference... no need to take the low ball offer from the dealers... Tesla included. I sold my truck, instead of trading it on my M3P, for nearly $5000 more than Tesla offered.
hmmmm... I don't believe that is an option where I am. It's always been a choice between trade-in and reduced sales tax or sell your own and lose the sales tax advantage. Sucks!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
California charges you sales tax based upon the sale price or the market value, whichever is higher. Your trade-in or coupons doesn't reduce the tax.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm a geek, who has followed Tesla obsessively for many years. I know that Y's from Austin will use some different manufacturing techniques such as front and rear castings. They also may have 4680 cells, no one but Tesla knows when. 4680 cell based Y's with front and rear castings could be a couple of hundred pounds lighter, may charge faster (people will debate that). To me these are worth it, because although they may sell the car to a particular spec, the Austin cars may exceed it. Or be better in ways not typically communicated to the consumer such as rigidity or long term reduction in rattles etc.

To give a different example, if I was buying a Y or 3 from Fremont I would want to get one with a Ryzen chip. Why? The existing CPU/GPU combo works just fine, but the Ryzen is much more performant and responsive. Why wouldn't I want that?
Yes, absolutely right, It's a problem for the ages. I remember as if it was yesterday.

There was a time when I bought a 286, and my mate said he wanted to wait for the 386.

I said, when the 386 comes, then you will want the 486. And so on.

40 years later, nothing has changed.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yes, absolutely right, It's a problem for the ages. I remember as if it was yesterday.

There was a time when I bought a 286, and my mate said he wanted to wait for the 386.

I said, when the 386 comes, then you will want the 486. And so on.

40 years later, nothing has changed.
Ah yes... my dad bought a 286 and I was so excited... then my friend's dad bought a 386 and I was like WTF? Then my dad bought a 386 and I was banned from installing Wing Commander on it. However, when he was away I would install, enjoy the better graphics and performance and then delete it before he came home.

You're right... bugger. So I'm essentially delaying my car purchase so Wing Commander has better visual effects... Maybe I can buy the model with a lesser processor and load some drivers into UMB to free up more base RAM which would give me some of those additional visuals. That's what I did on my 286 all those years ago. ?

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

if you're getting 300 miles range from Austin and 300 miles range from Fremont who cares what the battery is.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
if you're getting 300 miles range from Austin and 300 miles range from Fremont who cares what the battery is.
Mozart and Britney Spears is all just music, who cares which one it is?

I get it, you don't care, but those of us who dig and follow and think about these things do.
Sponsored