Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
FYI

A lot has been speculated on here, …will it have a Side Sail ?, where will we put the spare ?

I didn't realise it was explicitly mentioned.

I have just browsed the Cybertruck Tesla page, and low and behold, it's been there all the time.
(Can be missed as the page cycles to other pages in that specific section.)

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
Tesla Cybertruck Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars. 1648521918492
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FYI

A lot has been speculated on here, …will it have a Side Sail ?, where will we put the spare ?

I didn't realise it was explicitly mentioned.

I have just browsed the Cybertruck Tesla page, and low and behold, it's been there all the time.
(Can be missed as the page cycles to other pages in that specific section.)

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
1648521918492.png
Uuuhhmm. Wow.

I think I’ve read that half a dozen times and never notices it mentions a tire in that blurb. Maybe under the vault? Very good to see it gets a call-out.

This makes me happy. Nice catch.

(The sail pillar I knew about being on that page)

OP
OP
charliemagpie

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It sort of says there's SPACE for a spare tire. I may have jumped the gun thinking there's a compartment for a spare.

But, I would put a compartment, and Musk is a few zillion cells smarter than me.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Wait... It says:

with room TO spare
(Caps all mine)

That doesn't mean there is room for a spare tire. Now, with the size of the frunk or the size of the under-bed storage there very well may be enough room to through a spare tire in there. Wouldn't it be cool if each sail pillar could hold a spare tire? But it would be a PITA to get them out of there I'd think.

For wild tracking (or the Baja race?) the spares probably just get locked down in the truck bed.

Edit:
I was so distracted by the "spare" that I totally skipped over the "tire and Cyberquad". LOL. But like Crissa mentions below, that tire part kind of depends on how you feel about the Oxford comma.

Looking more closely, the first sentence

Space for your toolbox, tire and Cyberquad, with room to spare.
Seems like there is a lot of room. But then the second sentence brings me so many questions:

Utilize 100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage - including the under-bed, frunk and sail pillars.
I don't believe the Cyberquad fits under the closed tonneau. So does the bed area count as part of what is being described here? They do specifically mention "the under-bed, frunk and sail pillars". But looking at the bed volumes of the Ford F-150 (55 - 77 cubic feet) it seems like the 100 cubic feet of Cybertruck lockable storage has to include the bed which is lockable with the tonneau.

Now if we are just going to throw a spare in the bed of the truck under the tonneau then I'd say that basically, every pickup has enough space available for a spare. Not usually lockable but the space is there. Lots of vehicles (looking at you Jeep) have a spare just hanging off the back of the vehicle so the locking might not be part of the specification to look at.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to "stow" my spare somewhere that it isn't going to get in the way of using the truck on a regular basis. If one is working as a contractor or farmer, then the spare in the bed is going to be in the way. If one is a suburban weekend warrior, a spare in the frunk will get to be annoying cause that would be a great spot for grocery bags. So really that relegates the spare to either the under-bed area or the sail pillars. Neither of them is ideal.

I guess that having 100 cubic feet available, it is just one's own responsibility to decide where they want the spare to go. While tooling around town, the bed is just fine. On longer camping trips or "outings", maybe the frunk. Or maybe the Jeep solution.

Who knows. It's going to take me a while to really get comfortable with my CT.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wait... It says:

(Caps all mine)

That doesn't mean there is room for a spare tire. Now, with the size of the frunk or the size of the under-bed storage there very well may be enough room to through a spare tire in there. Wouldn't it be cool if each sail pillar could hold a spare tire? But it would be a PITA to get them out of there I'd think.

For wild tracking (or the Baja race?) the spares probably just get locked down in the truck bed.
It says toolbox comma tire and Cyberquad. Without the oxford comma, that can mean the tire and the Cyberquad fit at the same time.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wait... It says:

(Caps all mine)

I was looking earlier in the sentence.

”Space for your toolbox, tire and Cyberquad“

They need a better editor.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Full sized tire???
And how "full"? Are we talking wide knobby off-road killers (even if you air them down)? Or thinner smooth cruising tires? Or perhaps the tiny fake "donut" tire to limp you home on.

I hate those donut tires. Though, the older I get the more difficult a full-size spare is getting to handle.

But in reality, if you have to change tires, you either need to have space for the tire that is coming off or you need to leave it behind. So space for the spare should really be space for a full-size tire.

OP
OP
charliemagpie

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What's funny about this, is the exact same neuron pattern formed in our brains.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I am fairly certain the frunk is not at least 35" tire size, there is under-bed storage that might be big enough but I really hate the idea of having to unload in order to change a tire. I noticed it early on and took it to mean there was room in the bed for a spare tire, but it didn't necessarily come with one. I figure we will find out eventually, but I still prefer the tire under the back like a traditional truck.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I figure we will find out eventually, but I still prefer the tire under the back like a traditional truck.
Yes we will find out eventually. The problem with a spare under the back is that I want a quad motor so there will already be batteries and 2 motors back there being held together by the gigapress casting. I seriously doubt there is going to be room for a spare tire under there. If there is, great! But I’m not counting on that.
Sponsored