Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
This Tesla Model X drove itself into a Cirrus Vision Jet at what one Twitter user says was an aviation trade show. Details are scant, but the video's pretty self-explanatory: Tesla's self-driving software continues to struggle with obstacles that aren't obviously connected to the ground whether or not there's a driver inside.

Source
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
FSD said to autopilot "wanna dance"? After first pirouette autopilot says "I'm outta here, you knuckle dragger!" :p

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
This is no different than accidentally stepping on the gas instead of accelerator or leaving the car in drive and getting out. Everybody smart enough to own a jet knows summon is still a user controlled feature. Sure the car should have turned around the plane, but the car operator should have intervened before a collision.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The posting on Teslarati showed the retail cost between 1.5M and 2.0M. I think the Electrek article inflated the price.

In watching the video it seems to be going at Summon speed (i.e., super slow) but it is a clear enough example for how Tesla's FSD and related capabilities need to be preventative.

In reality, obstacle avoidance needs to accommodate the entire profile of the vehicle at all times and not just something rooted to the ground. Maybe even more than the profile. If my car is driving along and a tree or a telephone pole (or a satellite) is falling out of the sky, then it should actively avoid the vehicle hitting said object, whether Summon, AP, EAP, FSD, whatever.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The posting on Teslarati showed the retail cost between 1.5M and 2.0M. I think the Electrek article inflated the price.

In watching the video it seems to be going at Summon speed (i.e., super slow) but it is a clear enough example for how Tesla's FSD and related capabilities need to be preventative.

In reality, obstacle avoidance needs to accommodate the entire profile of the vehicle at all times and not just something rooted to the ground. Maybe even more than the profile. If my car is driving along and a tree or a telephone pole (or a satellite) is falling out of the sky, then it should actively avoid the vehicle hitting said object, whether Summon, AP, EAP, FSD, whatever.

Many parking lot entrances/exits use only a thin horizontal pole to block movement through.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What's the point of Smart Summon if you have to walk to the car, get in it and be the supervisor? Do people pay extra for this "feature"?
The point is it can move through a parking lot while you watch it. It can get in and out of tight parking spaces and over puddles without you squeezing or sloshing over to it.

Right now it needs supervision, yes, that's the point of early-access features. You stand there with a 'stop' button in your hand. You don't have to buy it, either. It comes with the FSD-ready plan.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
From Tesla's manual:
Warning
Smart Summon is a BETA feature. You must continually monitor the vehicle and its surroundings and stay prepared to take immediate action at any time. It is the driver's responsibility to use Smart Summon safely, responsibly, and as intended.

Warning
Smart Summon may not stop for all objects (especially very low objects such as some curbs, or very high objects such as a shelf) and may not react to all traffic. Smart Summon does not recognize the direction of traffic, does not navigate around empty parking spaces, and may not anticipate crossing traffic.
But, I'm sure this will be seen as being Tesla's fault in the news. The insurance company will say, "Sorry, son. This is all you.", and whoever owns the Tesla will try to sue.
Sponsored