1800 jobs cut today @ Gigafactory rumored there will be a 2nd wave in the next few days.

Dr_Grey_Bush

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
There were approximately 1800 jobs cut today out at the Gigafactory in Austin TX and it’s rumored another round could becoming very soon. The Cyber Cafe did have their share of cuts.. 10% of the non productive employees does not mean 10% of the worst workers. Non-Productive employees are employees that are not on the line producing vehicles. For example EHS Safety Personnel, Janitorial positions, kitchen staff, office personnel, forklift operators and folks in the mail room just to name a few. Yes they were not technically on the production line but without them everything will slow way way down.

So, the process for choosing which employees are leaving and which ones are staying was the worst process they could have chosen when performing a massive lay-off. Here’s how it worked. It was left to the discretion of each departments manager to decide who stays and who goes. A lot of the managers took this opportunity to eliminate those employees they felt had the education and skill set that could possibly take over their position in the near future. And that’s what they did.

Out at the Gigafactory in Austin a lot of good hard working folks lost their jobs today. Not because they were in the bottom of the 10% less productive category but because they were hard working and good at what they do. That Statement about laying off 10% of non-productive employees was only made so car sales don’t take a harder hit. Tesla’s image in the public’s eye is what they’re truly concerned with and not the employees that lost their jobs due to poor financial planning. That statement was a slap in the face to those that lost their jobs today. They deserved better than that.

What’s even more messed up is there were a bunch of departments with a handful of new hires (hired within the last 2 weeks) and they were all let go. There were people sitting in day one of new hire orientation when they got their email.

Tesla knew 6 weeks ago that this day was coming so why did they waste peoples time and their money?

Good Luck and God Bless to all those around the globe who lost their jobs today.

Dr Grey Bush
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is dumb to lay off people you're hiring.

But it's not abnormal to lay off people as you increase productivity. The jobs will come back when financials are better. I just wish the board and CEO wouldn't be so shortsighted about it right now.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yea, back in my IT days, I received the request to identify and cut staff.

That's how it worked. Luckily I was able to hold onto my team.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There will be more layoffs later this year as the dollar crashes because of BRICS and fuel prices soar from gulf wars.

I'm surprised they kept most of the MY assembly team in the first place for the CT, seeing that the CT should be even more production optimized and automated. Biggest problem will be for the world economy to keep the wheels turning, we're already seeing the next meltdown looming in Australia, that in particular are suffering from the China construction crisis, that is effectively killing our mining industry and national GDP. Together with a housing crisis fueled by excessive legal immigration, our property market is also hitting highs that people can't afford, in Sydney, median house price is AUD$1.5 (or $1m USD!) which is beyond ridiculous.

All this has already impacted vehicle and EV sales although Tesla is still doing well considering.

espresso-drumbeat

First Name
Espresso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
If this guy can sell his own share to buy “X”, he should have been a leader and sold more stocks to make up the difference in losses this first quarter. Or payed the let go salaries. lol! I know I know, you have to cut the fluff from somewhere.

View attachment 43420
I nominate this post for the dumbest post of the week.

Grey Bush

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape 2016
Occupation
X Tesla employee
Country flag
Yea, back in my IT days, I received the request to identify and cut staff.

That's how it worked. Luckily I was able to hold onto my team.
I believe everyone knew this was coming they just didn’t know when. This is one of those things in life where you just got to rip off the bandaid and march on. I was fortunate enough to be part of something amazing from day one when we started the installation of the CT production line. I meet and worked with some incredible individuals from all over the world and I have some amazing stores to share that I couldn’t share almost 2 years ago. The best part is I got paid to do something folks would have paid big just for a week inside there. Just the other day I had to go over to another building to do an inspection and I literally passed through hundreds of CT and It was a sight to see my friends. Me myself, I’m ready for the next big adventure that’s waiting for me. I sincerely hope the CyberTruck becomes the number 1 selling truck cause that would really top off this amazing adventure!

Just don’t forget, everyone that lost their jobs yesterday helped get us to where we are today.

Remember, When In Doubt, Just CYBERTRUCK IT Out!!!

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The layoffs were no surprise. I expected at least a 15% reduction in the workforce.

When you have 45k vehicles in inventory for the first time in history it’s clear that supply has exceeded demand.

If you follow Tesla the new focus seems to be the Tesla Robotaxi. Mr. Musk is betting the farm and is placing all resources on the project.

Startreknerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Country flag
There were approximately 1800 jobs cut today out at the Gigafactory in Austin TX and it’s rumored another round could becoming very soon. The Cyber Cafe did have their share of cuts.. 10% of the non productive employees does not mean 10% of the worst workers. Non-Productive employees are employees that are not on the line producing vehicles. For example EHS Safety Personnel, Janitorial positions, kitchen staff, office personnel, forklift operators and folks in the mail room just to name a few. Yes they were not technically on the production line but without them everything will slow way way down.

So, the process for choosing which employees are leaving and which ones are staying was the worst process they could have chosen when performing a massive lay-off. Here’s how it worked. It was left to the discretion of each departments manager to decide who stays and who goes. A lot of the managers took this opportunity to eliminate those employees they felt had the education and skill set that could possibly take over their position in the near future. And that’s what they did.

Out at the Gigafactory in Austin a lot of good hard working folks lost their jobs today. Not because they were in the bottom of the 10% less productive category but because they were hard working and good at what they do. That Statement about laying off 10% of non-productive employees was only made so car sales don’t take a harder hit. Tesla’s image in the public’s eye is what they’re truly concerned with and not the employees that lost their jobs due to poor financial planning. That statement was a slap in the face to those that lost their jobs today. They deserved better than that.

What’s even more messed up is there were a bunch of departments with a handful of new hires (hired within the last 2 weeks) and they were all let go. There were people sitting in day one of new hire orientation when they got their email.

Tesla knew 6 weeks ago that this day was coming so why did they waste peoples time and their money?

Good Luck and God Bless to all those around the globe who lost their jobs today.

Dr Grey Bush
Time for employees to bring their own toilet paper, again.

HyperReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CB650f
Country flag
It is dumb to lay off people you're hiring.

But it's not abnormal to lay off people as you increase productivity. The jobs will come back when financials are better. I just wish the board and CEO wouldn't be so shortsighted about it right now.

-Crissa
Almost every layoff I've ever been involved with was slightly aggressive... With the idea that it will reveal the holes afterwards, and they'll hire them back. This is opposed to not being aggressive enough and still having positions that aren't impacting dividends as much. We don't exactly know which positions are getting layed off, but I assume they're being aggressive now, then go lean for a bit, and then start hiring the minute they see what's truly needed, or for scaling if demand increases. The CT definitely has demands on scaling so I would think the ramp is less affected than other areas at the company right now.