Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No flying club I've been around will let you run off with a new aircraft you haven't flow before. There is no certificate, and it's mostly word of honor.
It's been a few years, but that sounds about right.

But from what I recall so long as you have experience in type the one I was at didn't require a checkout flight.

The requirements are vague and vary by location. It's not like the multi-engine checkout.

As a society we think cars need no training to start with, barely test proficiency, and then assume that someone who passed the minimal test yesterday can rent a 40' box truck today.
Yep, it's pretty sketch what they let people do.

It's actually scarier to me seeing the crazy nonsense they let some people do who have years of experience driving.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I can tell you most people are simply clueless on the lines you draw between automation and human control.

The legal rationale will be "what a reasonable person would assume" about the product. Tesla will have a hard time finding people who understand AP.

Very true

When Illinois Gov. Adlai Stevenson was running for president in the 1950s, a supporter purportedly said to him: "Every thinking person in America will be voting for you." Stevenson replied, "I'm afraid that won't do — I need a majority."
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...-to-every-thinking-person-20170804-story.html

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Found some better statistics.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/cadillac-hands-free-super-cruise-system-driving-record

This is a bit dated, but as of Feb 2020, SuperCruise had 5.2 million miles versus 3 Billion miles. In the 19 months since then, Tesla has likely clocked 10 billion more miles of Autopilot miles.

GM is 5.2 million miles accident free versus Tesla's 1 accident every 3.2 million miles. But what that doesn't take into account is the fact that Autopilot drives anywhere there are lines painted on the road. I'd love to see what Tesla's track record is on that 200k miles of easy road GM offers SuperCruise on.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Not AP or even close to self driving, but I'm reminded of a recent shocking experience with Toyota. I rented a near new 2021 Tacoma off road with the ACC. First off, what a shit vehicle all around. The electronics are a joke. Brakes, unpredictable, and steering like an old truck. But the best part...the ACC shuts down below 30 MPH. Doesn't sound terrible right? Just don't use it then? But it shuts down EVEN IF it's currently braking for a traffic event. That's right, the truck stopped braking at all after making me think it was in control. Traffic stopped, truck applied brakes, BEEP BEEP, no braking! Luckily since it was such a piece of junk I was subconsciously covering the brake anyway, not trusting it.

What the hell were they thinking??

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not AP or even close to self driving, but I'm reminded of a recent shocking experience with Toyota. I rented a near new 2021 Tacoma off road with the ACC. First off, what a shit vehicle all around. The electronics are a joke. Brakes, unpredictable, and steering like an old truck. But the best part...the ACC shuts down below 30 MPH. Doesn't sound terrible right? Just don't use it then? But it shuts down EVEN IF it's currently braking for a traffic event. That's right, the truck stopped braking at all after making me think it was in control. Traffic stopped, truck applied brakes, BEEP BEEP, no braking! Luckily since it was such a piece of junk I was subconsciously covering the brake anyway, not trusting it.

What the hell were they thinking??
I think this is pretty common. My buddies Ford Flex works similarly.

If this was Tesla, someone would rear end another car and everyone would blame Autopilot.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I think this is pretty common. My buddies Ford Flex works similarly.

If this was Tesla, someone would rear end another car and everyone would blame Autopilot.
That is absolute idiocy. Our other car is a 2020 Jeep Gladiator, and I thought it was strange that Jeep kept calling it "full stop adaptive cruise." I mean, yeah, that's how it SHOULD work! I would be so pissed if I were stuck with the Toyota junk. It's bad enough that the Jeep does stop, but if traffic doesn't move, it deactivates in two seconds.

Reason 237 I have only been driving the Tesla since we got it.
Sponsored