A snorkel attachment to the air intake to make the cybertruck amphibious?

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
With the water displacement and (double O-ringed) sealed doors and rear gate, it would not take much to make the CyberTruck amphibious despite the weight, as Elon said, the electrics are already insulated/water sealed... and with the (limited?) pass through for quick excursion or perhaps a stipulation that everyone needs to be in the open vault when it is on the water, and the pilot uses a remote to control it, it would be a doddle.

For propulsion, there have been many posts on YouTube, I don't think this is an issue... and with rear wheel steering, that opens up opportunities even further...

The main issue would then be the air intake as from what I have seen it is not too far from the font registration plate... so just it would not take much to create an interface that would allow a click on snorkel on the air intake that would be water tight... Or even a bit more out of the box... (okay potentially over engineered?) that the car realizes it is in amphibious mode, limits power, shuts off the main air intake and uses the cabin outlets to draw air in to cool the system though as it is in water, the battery packs heat sink will be I assume in contact with the base plate and so should be naturally by the circulating water? So the cooling considerations are not an issue?

Anyhow, flight (or float) of fancy - I would be interested in your thoughts...
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't believe you need air to cool the Cybertruck. In fact water cooling is more efficient. You might have the opposite problem if you are running through cold water, it might be difficult to keep the batteries warm enough to efficiently deliver power.

The big worry is systems like the human air delivery system getting clogged up with water and seals failing causing electrical shorts and electronics failures.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
And prayers that waves will not hit the Cybertruck sideways.

Me thinks there are reasons why amphibious vehicles are shaped like a boat.

But I would buy in a heartbeat a Tesla solar boat cruiser at the right size that can be towed by a Cybertruck.

OP
OP
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I don't believe you need air to cool the Cybertruck. In fact water cooling is more efficient. You might have the opposite problem if you are running through cold water, it might be difficult to keep the batteries warm enough to efficiently deliver power.

The big worry is systems like the human air delivery system getting clogged up with water and seals failing causing electrical shorts and electronics failures.

OP
OP
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
True... though normal river water would be well within the normal battery temperature operation range... yes agreed, assuming that the electrics/motors are well sealed, my concern is blocking the intake from the river/lake water...

OP
OP
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
And prayers that waves will not hit the Cybertruck sideways.

Me thinks there are reasons why amphibious vehicles are shaped like a boat.

But I would buy in a heartbeat a Tesla solar boat cruiser at the right size that can be towed by a Cybertruck.

OP
OP
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
As a sailor, there is no way I will take it out to the open sea... no matter how flat the waves are... :)

OP
OP
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
On second thoughts if the frunk and vault were full of expanded polystyrene - a quick trip to the Isle of Wight (an island a few miles off the south cost of England) is looking tempting :)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
CT on folding hydroplaning foils. That’s alien! It cuts a 5hr drive down to 2.5 by sea. As you pointed out, island hopping is within reach rather than ferry reservations for ICE vehicles.
Tesla Cybertruck A snorkel attachment to the air intake to make the cybertruck amphibious? 7860E2EB-22FA-49DA-AE01-0F723B8EA35F

Powered at rear by electric submersible waterjets…tires are the new dock bumpers 90° set like landing gear to keep CT from sinking at rest. And those twin jets will tuck into CT sailplanes nicely - won’t they. Hey Elon about that wind-in-your-hair Maverick thrill, can Tesla frunk-houze a windscreen?

Guiness are formatting a field for the world record. Youtube cache is expected for the first success to tranche a pile of money on Cybertruck-over-water as Ripley’s believe it or not!

It’s inevitable…