Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Instead of a floating CT, it might be better to have an optional boat that can be towed. This boat would be its own trailer, be able to carry the CT on board, use rollers to transfer power from the CT wheels to the boat propeller, and have a foldable front entry ramp so the CT could be backed onto the boat during the launch from a ramp process.

Imagine driving to a boat ramp with your towed boat/trailer. As you back the trailer down the ramp, the front of the boat lowers to become a loading ramp for the CT. Just before the boat starts to float (while the wheels are still in play), the CT stops pushing the boat and instead starts backing up the loading ramp onto the boat itself. Once the CT is fully on the boat with the wheels centered on the rollers, the front of the boat is raised. Then the wheels of the trailer/boat are raised so that the boat is fully floating. Then the CT driver continues to "back up" the CT, which causes the CT wheels to push the wheel rollers in the boat, which causes the boat propeller to turn in reverse, and the boat starts to back up. I don't have an easy way to make the CT steering get translated into steering the boat but I bet that if the rollers were able to turn with the steering of the CT wheels that this would be used as steering for the boat.

Once you are ready to get out of the water, the process reverses. The boat is steered to a boat ramp. On approach, the trailer wheels are lowered. Once the trailer wheels are on the ramp, the front of the boat lowers and the CT can be driven off the boat. As the CT disembarks, the trailer hitch is re-attached. Then the loading ramp is pulled up. And finally, the CT can pull the boat/trailer out of the water and drive away.

If the boat were well designed, it would be able to move fast (CT super torque used for that propeller). Plus with no motor/battery specifically for the boat, the boat itself would be very light. I'm sure this is something that could be built. The first ones would certainly be interesting. But after some iterations, I can imagine getting hydrofoils involved too for an even faster and smoother ride.
There are some fairly crucial details missing, like how to drive onto a trailer that is already attached to your bumper. Or how a trailer slides out from under the truck and parks itself on a ramp. But there are some good ideas in there.

Make boat weight an optional temporary load.
Use existing traction motors for propulsion.
Low drag hull shape.

The transition on/off the boat might be best while both are floating and easily manipulated in calm water. Rough water makes everything more problematic. If your boat has wheels, how is it different than the truck? It has all the same hydrodynamic problems. Don't tow it, haul it as a topper. After you've driven into the water, from inside the bed, flip the topper up and over the tailgate into the water. The boat remains attached to the tailgate. You now have 2 independently floating vessels linked by a hinged gangway between them. You can leave them this way if maximum capacity is your goal. Separate them for 2 boats. Or use the powered tailgate ramp to push the bow down, under and forward of the rear wheels. Now disconnect from tailgate and lift tailgate up. Drive in reverse so the boat is drawn forward under the truck. When the boat reaches front wheels, drive tailgate down again, reengaged at rear of boat/topper. This helps drive the boat under the front wheels as well as keeping the 2 units together during the voyage.
Run the bilge pump, air up pontoons or drop hydrofoils if equipped.

FYI what I am smoking is 20lbs of pork butt and mesquite.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
There are some fairly crucial details missing, like how to drive onto a trailer that is already attached to your bumper. Or how a trailer slides out from under the truck and parks itself on a ramp. But there are some good ideas in there.

Make boat weight an optional temporary load.
Use existing traction motors for propulsion.
Low drag hull shape.

The transition on/off the boat might be best while both are floating and easily manipulated in calm water. Rough water makes everything more problematic. If your boat has wheels, how is it different than the truck? It has all the same hydrodynamic problems. Don't tow it, haul it as a topper. After you've driven into the water, from inside the bed, flip the topper up and over the tailgate into the water. The boat remains attached to the tailgate. You now have 2 independently floating vessels linked by a hinged gangway between them. You can leave them this way if maximum capacity is your goal. Separate them for 2 boats. Or use the powered tailgate ramp to push the bow down, under and forward of the rear wheels. Now disconnect from tailgate and lift tailgate up. Drive in reverse so the boat is drawn forward under the truck. When the boat reaches front wheels, drive tailgate down again, reengaged at rear of boat/topper. This helps drive the boat under the front wheels as well as keeping the 2 units together during the voyage.
Run the bilge pump, air up pontoons or drop hydrofoils if equipped.

FYI what I am smoking is 20lbs of pork butt and mesquite.
To be fair, my post you were responding to was from WAY back before Elon was very specific about the CT floating for a while or gave the perspective of using it to cross from SpaceX to South Padre Island. To be honest, I basically had to use the way back machine to go find the original post in my memory files.

But you do bring up some good ideas. My original imaginings were of a scenario where the CT was moving between 2 known locations (like from a public doc to a private island). Your ideas would allow a more general solution where the boat portion comes along for any subsequent water crossings. I like the idea of having the boat on top. But wonder if the weight might be an issue in trying to deploy. Plus the wind resistance while driving the highway.

At this point though. I'd wait till Elon shows us the real goods before I go off designing some other water traversal solution.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can envisage people driving into a calm surf, and then not being able to come out.

Then cruising aimlessly up and down a coast line looking for an exit point.

This is going to take recovery to a new level.

Maybe Maxx tracks will come up with an inflatable version. 🤩
Sponsored