Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
BTW you all really ain't like me..I didn't know there was that much to an "air pump"...and I am beginning to question you all's sanity for being able to discuss it in such rational and eloquent terms.
Dude if it blows I'm into it.
Sponsored

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Oh what were you doing there?
My bi-Stripper gf with the oral fixation goes there to win on Disco Dance Contest night. I go for the show. It is so amusing to have the new boys come on to me. And then the regulars let them give me their opening gambit before telling them, "He's straight and he's with NAOMI! So there is no way you are going to turn him. ut-uhh."
And if the new guy actually has to ask, "Who is Naomi?" The boys at the table just lock eyes on the dance floor.
BTW On Happy Days (Which is back when this actually really used to happen) The Fonz introduced his Girl friend to the boys, "This is Naomi. That's "I moan" spelled backwards, Aaayyy!" 40 years ago.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
6 cfm at 100 psi means the compressor is doing PV work at the rate of 2.6 hp. Add in the effects of compressor inefficiency (they get hot) and motor inefficiency and we are probably talking 4 (?) HP to the motor, That's right around 3 kW. It would have to run from the main battery and is a pretty hefty load. But if intended market is the working guy who needs compressed air at the level that one associates with a 4 hp compressor (that's a lot) It could be done. But if the intention is to give capability to top off a flat or fill an airless mattress in the field I'd expect something lot's smaller a bit heftier perhaps than the little units you plug into your cigarette lighter receptacle. Given the desire to keep cost down I'm guessing more likely the latter than the former - something that runs off the 12V battery, But don't ask me - ask Elon.
Right. But I thought he was pitching it to help out contractors on site when they need a compressor.

Ok, finally looked up the specs. Not 6 CFM, but 4 CFM for my little DeWalt:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-4-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-D55153/202514521

That will drive a framing nailer or a spray gun.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Those typically require a 120V - 15A circuit and thus probably draw about 1.5 - 1.8 kW. Doable for sure but will they? A related question is the 240 V inverter. Will that be a 15 amp or 20A circuit? Twenty amps is 4.8 kW. That, of course, also has to be fed from the high voltage battery. I don't see much point in having a 240V outlet if you can only get 5 A from it. Again quite doable at 20. So perhaps a 1.5 kW compressor isn't so unreasonable either.

I keep forgetting to mention that the reservoir will doubtless have an automatic purge valve.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
I'd love to see a built in air-down / air-up feature that can be controlled directly from on board screen / software.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'd love to see a built in air-down / air-up feature that can be controlled directly from on board screen / software.
The X that I test drove had that. Not sure about the S.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
No it's a typo but on reflection one can't fill one if it is full.
I feel like that was a really ingenious mistake. You can only feel an airless mattress because otherwise it's already filled

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Could it be a tank-type setup? (one to retain some pressured air for on-demand usage) What material will the tank be made of? Stainless steel? Aluminum?

Tesla Cybertruck Air Compressor considerations Tank image

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I would just throw in a well know, high quality, quiet compressor, under the body somewhere, connect it to everything and call it a day. No reason to reinvent the wheel here. I mean they can make a more efficient one but unlike the octovalve compressor pump thing, it really only has 1 job, and won't be used all that often. I think

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I would just throw in a well know, high quality, quiet compressor, under the body somewhere, connect it to everything and call it a day. No reason to reinvent the wheel here. I mean they can make a more efficient one but unlike the octovalve compressor pump thing, it really only has 1 job, and won't be used all that often. I think
I thought it was going to have an active suspension which would imply continual adjustments. I could be wrong here.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I thought it was going to have an active suspension which would imply continual adjustments. I could be wrong here.
I think it would be like the x and s, where it adjusts based on location and previous manual changes( for example going into your driveway) but who knows.
Sponsored