Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Not the fastest for LT tires, and definitely not for air mattresses. I use them for quick fills on expansion tanks, testing gas piping and occasionally topping off a tire in a pinch.
And this is why it doesn't make sense to put one on the CT...

"I need to be able to quickly refill a patched tire"
"I need to refill a dirt bike tire"
"I need 200+psi"
"I need a pancake to run a roof nailer"
"I need something to pass the gas leak inspection"
"I need to fill up a 6 man towable for the ski boat"

Compressors, unlike electricity, have varying volumes and pressures for varying uses. I don't want to pay for a 50 gal 225 psi compressor that tries to fit the majority of needs when I don't have those needs. I would far rather go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or wherever and get something that fits MY needs, and just stuff that bad boy in the vault and plug it into an outlet. And if you'd be happy with that little Ryobi, then you don't NEED a compressor built into your truck, you need a Ryobi, Dewalt, Craftsman, Whoever little 12v or battery compressor in the frunk/underbed/under back seat/zip-tied to the tailgate, whatever.
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I need one for my blowup dolls to trick the HOV lane cameras! :). Fair point people are making in that one size does not fit all when it comes to air compressors...was thinking I wanted one for dirt bike tires, but then trailer tires (110psi), truck tires (volume), etc and I'm now in the camp of I'll bring my own Viair compressor that is small/compact and can do all the above!

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I need one for my blowup dolls to trick the HOV lane cameras! :). Fair point people are making in that one size does not fit all when it comes to air compressors...was thinking I wanted one for dirt bike tires, but then trailer tires (110psi), truck tires (volume), etc and I'm now in the camp of I'll bring my own Viair compressor that is small/compact and can do all the above!
Just below the belt line, directly beneath the buckle, you'll find the manual inflation tube.

Tesla Cybertruck Air compressor hose connection? 1699895130454

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
And this is why it doesn't make sense to put one on the CT...

"I need to be able to quickly refill a patched tire"
"I need to refill a dirt bike tire"
"I need 200+psi"
"I need a pancake to run a roof nailer"
"I need something to pass the gas leak inspection"
"I need to fill up a 6 man towable for the ski boat"

Compressors, unlike electricity, have varying volumes and pressures for varying uses. I don't want to pay for a 50 gal 225 psi compressor that tries to fit the majority of needs when I don't have those needs. I would far rather go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or wherever and get something that fits MY needs, and just stuff that bad boy in the vault and plug it into an outlet. And if you'd be happy with that little Ryobi, then you don't NEED a compressor built into your truck, you need a Ryobi, Dewalt, Craftsman, Whoever little 12v or battery compressor in the frunk/underbed/under back seat/zip-tied to the tailgate, whatever.
All good points, but what was Elon's intention (and understanding) when Tesla advertised providing a compressor takeoff in the Cybertruck? Did he/they intend a subset of these applications? Did he/they not understand the breadth of requirements that providing a compressor would entail? We do not know and may never know if it doesn't show up in the truck. I for one use a compressor for many of these applications, but the only one I carry in my car is a low-duty one for filling slow leaks in tires until I can get them plugged, repaired, or replaced. I do not care to have extra 'stuff' (like portable compressors) floating around in the car. I already have too many such things as it is, so of course it would be nice/convenient to have one attached full time and integrated into the software of the vehicle. @cvalue13's comment about cost is realistic. Maybe Elon/Tesla decided it would be too costly to implement (and of course pass that cost on to buyers). I suppose, in the end, you have to go all the way back to the decision as to whether the Cybertruck will be intended as a work truck. If the recent specs are real (and I have no reason to believe or not believe them), then it would seem that Tesla has backed off on the work truck idea, so backing off on providing a compressor takeoff would fit in with that. As per everything, we will find out more in 17 days.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Adding a separate compressor for that sole purpose would indeed be silly but I don't think anyone was suggesting that, rather tapping off the one that's already present.

I think they won't unless they have a compressor onboard with a long cycle life. The air suspension is a critical part of the vehicle meaning it can't drive without it, so the last thing they want is a lot if trades using it for tools, and then claiming Warranty when it breaks.
Could put a cycle limit on offboard use to avoid running into excessive warranty claims.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Adding a separate compressor for that sole purpose would indeed be silly but I don't think anyone was suggesting that, rather tapping off the one that's already present.

Could put a cycle limit on offboard use to avoid running into excessive warranty claims.
True, they could also put a high cycle compressor in. But all of these high volune items will require a whole bunch of pre-conditioning gear, like air filters, air dryers etc like they have on truck brakes, unless they want to clean air filters every few hours, and compressor oil from water contamination like on household gear.

I think a air compressor kit is the way to go and avoids the whole issue...just throw in a free ryobi with a Tesla badge, much easier.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Exactly. If you needed more air per burst, you could drop in a tank and regulator; and if you needed more pressure or way more volume, well... You'd be no worse off than you would have been.

It's a win-win.

The problem I'd see is that a hose would weigh more than some of these rechargeables.

-Crissa

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
An Electrical outlet in the frunk would be more ideal than an air connection. I have cordless compressors and an assortment of portable compressors. From 1 gallon up to 30 gallon. Electric and gas. Not to mention hp air tanks.

Yes, electric power outlets are more important than an air outlet. At least to me.
Remember electricity can produce air. But can air produce electricity. Not too easily or practical.

Rick
Agreed

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Still too many unknowns about the adjustable suspension or even if that system (if using air) could be multi-purposed. If that were the case though, such a higher air volume air compressor would add some weight, with not everyone using it frequently, so maybe it's wise just to BYOC (Bring Your Own Compressor) and use the outlets to power it. Then while not in use it's not hauled around adding weight, so much more efficient that way.

I won't be upset if they do include a compressed air fitting. It'd be useful for inflating tires too. But since they're trying to maximize range, I don't see them adding weight for things that may not get used often by everyone.
I don't see an air compressor as adding weight because the obvious intention has always been to leverage the value of the air compressor that already exists for the air suspension. I've never been under the impression that it would substitute for a full-on jobsite air compressor to run air-hungry tools like framing nailers and the like, rather the air tap is being included primarily to support the vehicles tires.

This spring we saw a photo of a Cybertruck team member carrying what is almost certainly the air tank that will support the needs of the air suspension. Judging by the size of it, the air suspension will have substantial capabilities and need a compressor of suitable size and duty cycle to deal with that. Auxilliary air needs are when the truck is parked, so it shouldn't affect the duty cycle too much, as long as the air tap is used for the intended purposes, nothing more demanding than filling a tire or adjusting the tires pressure higher.

Tesla Cybertruck Air compressor hose connection? 1699927233587

That looks to me like it holds about 5-6 gallons. Let's be conservative and say 5 gallons. Atmospheric pressure is a bit under 15 psi. Boyles Law states that when pressure is doubled, volume is halved. That means at 120 psi a 5-gallon tank can hold over 8 times as much air, or 40 gallons of air when that air is at atmospheric pressure. In all likelihood, the pressure will probably be around 160 psi to support the air suspension. This is enough to seat the bead on a large tire like the Cybertruck has, even though it would require the compressor to cycle to complete the job. And that is not even the likely intended purpose. Airing up all four tires after off-roading might be accomplished even if the compressor was turned off before the process was started, depending upon how low of a pressure they were aired down to.

The Cybertruck will be able to monitor how much air is being used by the suspension (simply by monitoring the tank pressure during suspension adjustments). It can also monitor how much air is being used by the owner and regulate that as needed, to ensure the on-board compressor isn't abused for unintended applications. It's likely to also have a thermocouple on the compressor cylinder to auto-shut-off if there is an over-temperature situation. The one item I think would be good to support a user air tap is an electrically operated valve to shut off that tap if it detects a leak while driving (air pressure declining while not operating the suspension) or excessive usage.

This means there is little cost and little downside to including an air tap (which is why Elon said it would have one to begin with). But those who think it will replace a full-tilt jobsite air compressor will probably be in for a rude awakening. That seems unreasonable to me.

Last edited:

cbrtrckrsrvd112219

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yes! My thoughts exactly.
why there is so much obsession with random minor stuff?!
why would tesla spend even second engineering how to built in something you can buy for $10 on amazon and can brake and adds additional weight and additional warranty liability?!
I have compressor sitting by spare tire in two cars, never used one. I also have a battery based jump starter with compressor, one from Amazon and another one from Costco. I need it maybe 3-4 times a year with my super -active kids for balls, bike tires etc. thats it!
and if you need compressor for serios stuff like carpentry - CT built it not gonna be good enough anyway!

lets focus on what matters - delivery date! :)

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
why would tesla spend even second engineering how to built in something you can buy for $10 on amazon and can brake and adds additional weight and additional warranty liability?!
I have compressor sitting by spare tire in two cars, never used one. I also have a battery based jump starter with compressor, one from Amazon and another one from Costco. I need it maybe 3-4 times a year with my super -active kids for balls, bike tires etc. thats it!
and if you need compressor for serios stuff like carpentry - CT built it not gonna be good enough anyway!

I was under the impression, by Elon and ‘19 reveal, that the on board compressor was a feature. It actually was an engaging feature to me for many reasons, such as quick spot cleans and tire management. However I have accepted that this may be a forgone feature.

sadly, this extraordinary truck is starting to feel rather ordinary lately. I hope November 30 proves me wrong.

SS is still super cool, of course.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

Obviously, you never go off-road driving. That's why I want it, so I can leverage the value of the on-board air compressor and not have to throw a cordless unit in the truck before I leave (and make sure the battery is charged or that I have the right battery charger for the tire compressor).

Also, if you have to plug a puncture in your tire, you're gonna need an air compressor with you. It would be a real shame if the built-in compressor cannot fill that need. I have a reasonably nice DeWalt cordless, and a cheap emergency inflator that needs 12V, but I don't want to buy another just for the Cybertruck, not because of the cost, but it's just one more thing to have with you.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
An Electrical outlet in the frunk would be more ideal than an air connection. I have cordless compressors and an assortment of portable compressors. From 1 gallon up to 30 gallon. Electric and gas. Not to mention hp air tanks.

Yes, electric power outlets are more important than an air outlet. At least to me.
Remember electricity can produce air. But can air produce electricity. Not too easily or practical.

Rick
Rick, you dont plan to carry a wind turbine with you?!

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Obviously, you never go off-road driving. That's why I want it, so I can leverage the value of the on-board air compressor and not have to throw a cordless unit in the truck before I leave (and make sure the battery is charged or that I have the right battery charger for the tire compressor).

Also, if you have to plug a puncture in your tire, you're gonna need an air compressor with you. It would be a real shame if the built-in compressor cannot fill that need. I have a reasonably nice DeWalt cordless, and a cheap emergency inflator that needs 12V, but I don't want to buy another just for the Cybertruck, not because of the cost, but it's just one more thing to have with you.
It’s not hard to see why a built in compressor would be really great. They definitely won’t tie into the suspension system as that would add too much risk factor to a critical vehicle component. Even Rivians compressor is separate. I hope there is a 120V plug in the storage compartment under the vault. That way I can just leave my compressor in there plugged in and ready to switch on.
Sponsored