Air Compressor for airing up and down?

SteelRhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TMY LR AWD, 2024 Cyberbeast
Country flag
There is a video showing an air connection behind one of the fender flares. For tires and occasional use, I would be looking to tap into that, plumb a permanent line to somewhere in the bed. No idea how difficult that will be until I get mine, but since the truck already has a large tank and compressor this would be my first choice. Unless you're talking about serious duty use case, then I'd get something like a roofing compressor with high CFM but small tank.
The recommended air pressure for CT is 50psi. A battery operated air compressor might take a while to get here. And I heard in a youtube video that the on-board compressor does not have enough capacity to inflate CTs tires in a timely manner (really slow) hence there is none onboard. That being said, I am interested to know how Rivian pulled it off - it does take some time as well. But at least there is something for an emergency where you are somewhere off-roading... better something than nothing.
Sponsored

jsonmaui

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hummer H1, Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With the addition of AC outlets, including 220V, there may be an opportunity for a much faster air compressor for airing up after being on the trails as compared to even the best 12V compressors. However, it seems the highest output compressors are typically paired with the biggest tanks and not suited to sitting in a truck bed. What are people planning? Would it be worth trying to get a 220V compressor head with no or a small tank to fill tires (and maybe even also run an air impact driver for the lug nuts after a flat)?
My biggest disappointment - No Central Tire Inflation Sys (CTIS). Hummer H1 have always had them. Sweet to adjust air from the cockpit when in mud or water. All that air is already available on the CT.

OP
OP

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
My biggest disappointment - No Central Tire Inflation Sys (CTIS). Hummer H1 have always had them. Sweet to adjust air from the cockpit when in mud or water. All that air is already available on the CT.
Agreed, it would have been amazing. However, I think maybe 5% tops of the users would ever do terrain-based air pressure adjustments. On the other hand, this could be an amazing safety and efficiency feature if it existed. Imagine if the tires were always aired up to the most efficient pressure, regardless of ambient temperature, speed, road temp, etc. Additionally with Tesla vision they could even add the ability to automatically air down for inclement weather. However, with the design philosophy of the best part is no part not a huge surprise they didn’t include that. The slip ring inflators are pricey and prone to leaks. Still, it would have been sweet! Maybe someday it‘ll be an option if they ever want to build an off road trim akin to rubicon, TRD pro, etc.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think this Mean Mother is good, but I need to adapt to plug into a 240V. I don't know which specific plug and wire size is needed to replace the battery clips for this conversion.

2.5 mins to pump a tyre to 40psi.
https://meanmother.com.au/collections/all-air-compressors/products/air-compressor-180lmin

Just reading the Tesla spec, 30 mins will be close to doing the job on 4 tyres, but I am not interested if it takes say 8 minutes to inflate just one.

It has ' AUTOMATIC PRESSURE CHECKS ' the compressor needs to stop to get an exact reading,its done easily enough, but If the Tesla check is Automatic and if the pressure can be set from the start, all hands free, it is a bonus feature.

Only hurts when you pay, but for regular users, the years of use is worth it imo.
Sponsored

Last edited: