Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
http://score-international.com/raceinfo/rule-book/truck-classes/stock-full/

(edit to add: These are the rules for the SCORE 250 class that I think the CT would be part of)

It says "No air shocks" and "No secondary suspension allowed". I wonder what they would consider the CT's ride control.
They are not air shocks, Tesla and most auto manufacturers with Air suspension use a standard fluid filled shock absorber. They are using what the industry calls and Air SPRING damper or strut. The air bag portion replaces the spring in the assembly, not the fluid filled shock. Air shocks are what some hot rodders used to use to jack up the rear or there cars for wider tires.. they are terrible.

So if the rules said no air suspensions, air struts or air spring dampers then Tesla would not be allowed to compete.
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
They are not air shocks, Tesla and most auto manufacturers with Air suspension use a standard fluid filled shock absorber. They are using what the industry calls and Air SPRING damper or strut. The air bag portion replaces the spring in the assembly, not the fluid filled shock. Air shocks are what some hot rodders used to use to jack up the rear or there cars for wider tires.. they are terrible.

So if the rules said no air suspensions, air struts or air spring dampers then Tesla would not be allowed to compete.
Apparently there is a BEV class that I didn't see originally. ( http://score-international.com/raceinfo/score-rulebook/baja-e-class/ )

There are no restrictions or requirements for the Suspensions category.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
My understanding is that the CT will NOT use an airbag type component.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
At least the CT would not catch fire like the Lordstown truck.. lol
From what I can see the Tri is still not ready, but the dual can do it. But is has much less range. I'm sure Tesla would not make a one off Dual with Long Range (500+), as then lots of people would want that...
Im still curious how the tri will be setup. Dual motors in rear and one in front or vice versa?

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Im still curious how the tri will be setup. Dual motors in rear and one in front or vice versa?
Possibly like the S Plad+
There were pictures floating around that showed 2 in rear and one in front.
What type of motors I don't know. I know currently the 3 (IPM-SynRM) more efficient is in the front. And the S (Induction) performance motor is in the rear.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
My understanding is that the CT will NOT use an airbag type component.
What would they be using then? To raise and lower the vehicle? I know there are other options but...

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Air shock/strut (not sure that is the correct term).
I assume something like these on the Model X (the image in this Electrek article).
Lame, expensive and high maintenance solution similar to Range Rover. They are what garnered the model the tagline “Garage Queen” after a weekend offroad they would be in the shop Monday. Usually $1500 Monday’s to replace a shock down on one corner.

The sharp edges of small gravel flit up onto the rubber boot shock then stick to it as air is released to lower the ride height- later. Thud. Leaker. Range Rover travels back to the dealer down on one corner.

Hoping Tesla engineers are on top of this with a redesign. Not happy to see Cybertruck turn into just another Range Rover. Lame. Hoping Tri-CT comes with sprung option or I change to RWD.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I would with hold judgement, but it would not surprise me for Tesla to take several years to make a serious off-road capable truck.

I hope they have been doing a lot of research and understand what it takes to make a tough, durable truck... But we will not know.

I hope this summer and early fall we see spy photos of Cybertrucks being tested off-road.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I have crossed the US/Mexico border 100's of times and for some reason, a scary thought just came to me in the today. The dreaded Secondary Inspection. When you come back into the US, you have to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint. If the Border Patrol officer feels a need for a more thorough conversation and inspection of your vehicle they send you to Secondary Inspection. I used to travel into Baja with a 20'RV and about 1/2 of the times we crossed back into the US we were sent to Secondary, which can be a real pain. They can do as thorough of a search through your vehicle as they desire. I've had to unload virtually all my windsurfing/camp gear and be grilled by these folks a few times. NOT FUN.
Enter The Cybertruck. Hmm this thing is loaded to the gills with toys and camping equipment. Off to Secondary you go! Now I wonder, what are these Border Patrol folks going to think when they look under this badass filthy dirty truck and see the whole underside is skinned, with no way to do visual inspections. Hmmm just a thought, things could get interesting.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Now I wonder, what are these Border Patrol folks going to think when they look under this badass filthy dirty truck and see the whole underside is skinned, with no way to do visual inspections. Hmmm just a thought, things could get interesting.
Not a problem... they'll just 'take it for a spin'. If they can do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds they'll know you haven't messed with the battery.

Of course, they will need the opinion of ALL the officers, so it might take awhile as each of them tries it.

:p

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
We need a final design. If we are expected to buy this thing in 6 months, they need to provide a final design and concrete specs. All we can do is guess. May be an educated guess, but still a guess. Elon needs to perform here. We deserve it. peace
Sponsored