anyone else want a camera-less truck?

what's your thoughts on self driving camera type stuff?

• Total voters

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I'm wondering what people think about having a always connected vehicle with cameras everywhere on/in it.

I would prefer having no cameras because I enjoy driving and would only test out the self driving as a fun little thing every once in a while. It seems like a waste of money (albeit small)to add cameras that won't be used.

Also does buying the truck mean i consent to have my location and data shared with tesla?
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Same with having a phone... Not worried about it. You could always t ape over the cameras but then you'd lose a lot of safety features.

MAGATRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBRTRK
Country flag
I like sentry mode but would prefer actual side mirrors...for now

Deleted member 3316

I hope they have an extra bumper mounted camera for off roading; being able to see directly down in front will make solo trips much easier. Knowing exactly the line to take will be particularly valuable without a spotter.

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed! I use a large trailer every weekend, i have gotten pretty good at hooking up but a camera system would save me a couple minutes and prevent me from bumping it, potentially causing damage

Last edited:

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
I'm wondering what people think about having a always connected vehicle with cameras everywhere on/in it.

I would prefer having no cameras because I enjoy driving and would only test out the self driving as a fun little thing every once in a while. It seems like a waste of money (albeit small)to add cameras that won't be used.

Also does buying the truck mean i consent to have my location and data shared with tesla?
Tesla’s self-driving investment is their biggest differentiator from any other manufacturer. They’re in it for good— all their vehicles will have a plethora of cameras and processors

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
I like sentry mode but would prefer actual side mirrors...for now
No side mirrors or rear-view mirror is one of my favorite things about CT haha. Adjusting physical mirrors feels ancient in 2020 — give me cameras and HUDs!

Still surprised S & X models have manual adjust rear-view mirrors. Could be motor controlled like side view mirrors and saved on each driver’s profile

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla’s self-driving investment is their biggest differentiator from any other manufacturer. They’re in it for good— all their vehicles will have a plethora of cameras and processors
Like I was saying, for me its irrelevant...unless the autodriveshare network was up and running. But it will be probably 7_10 years until we have level5 where my truck could make me cash

My choice of tesla over others is because(in order):
-Supercharging
-Ev history (learned from mistakes)/are only ev
-battery tech
-Doing good/ pushing boundries
-executives that care about the product not just stock
-USA made

Deleted member 3316

In another forum it’s been suggested that optional wifi “puck” cameras should be able to connect through the Tesla OS. Imagine the possibilities! If you’re towing a rental box trailer put the magnetic puck in the back and you’ve got rear vision again. Rear facing baby seat? Put the puck above the baby and view from screen.

If not an accessory available from Tesla direct, if the software enables it I’m sure many aftermarket manufacturers will provide.

What situations can you see a wifi camera being useful for Cybertruck?
Might need to make this its own topic...

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

If you don’t want the safety features that come with cameras you might as well stick with your 2000-era truck. I haven’t had a truck since about 2005 that didn’t at least have a backup camera and I wouldn’t want to go back for any amount of money. So I think this is a weird question.

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you don’t want the safety features that come with cameras you might as well stick with your 2000-era truck. I haven’t had a truck since about 2005 that didn’t at least have a backup camera and I wouldn’t want to go back for any amount of money. So I think this is a weird question.
What do u mean by safety features?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
- obstacle avoidance
- backup view
- blindspot view/warning
- emergency braking
- cruise control with speed mgmt
- lane departure control
- auto brake to stop using regenerative braking

I consider all of these safety features. None of these are navigation on autopilot, summon, or traffic light and stop sign control at intersections, and all of them depend on the cameras. Sorry, the list might be longer but I only spent a minute on it.

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Different vibes for different guys...
none of those safety stuffs appeal to me...except perhaps emergency braking. I would gladly give up cameras and the always connected for a bit cheaper and totally mine.
It bothers me that they can change and limit things without my consent.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Different vibes for different guys...
none of those safety stuffs appeal to me...except perhaps emergency braking. I would gladly give up cameras and the always connected for a bit cheaper and totally mine.
It bothers me that they can change and limit things without my consent.
That is what I was talking about in my first reply. Most of the items on that list are on virtually every car and truck now, or will be by the time the CT is actually being produced. The nice thing about a Tesla is that all of these features can be turned off in the preferences, and you will not be paying extra for the cameras because they come standard on all Tesla vehicles. I see zero chance of some kind of stripped down version of the Tesla vehicle, because all of their systems and optimizations to get good mileage are based on their ability to integrate information they get from their various sensors. It isn’t [just] about watching out for you. But you are certainly right about choice...

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag

It's not something I ever think about.
If you want to drive just don't turn on autopilot. Yes, all the cameras are still recording Re: the comment above, how Tesla is differentiating themselves. All that data is fed into Tesla's neural net toward FSD.
And from first hand experience when that new driver cuts you off you'll appreciate the fact that your vehicle slammed on the breaks. Same new driver followed me after the incident and pulled up at next stop light to ask if the car stopped itself, confirmed it had and the response was -'cool!' ???
No to mention all of the stories where not-at-fault accidents were confirmed by those same cameras. And as above the sentry mode is terrific.
If it's a big brother concern, well we're not getting away from that, cameras are everywhere now. If they're going to be there you might as well make them work for you.

Another interesting tid-bit. You'd think, yes they/you could save $s by Tesla not installing all those cameras/sensors for those who don't want FSD. We bought a Standard range plus model 3, non-FSD, non-premium interior, basically base model. You'd think that would imply that certain things wouldn't be included ie. sound system, base is 12 speaker, premium is 16 or 18 I believe. Although our vehicle only runs 12 speakers all 18 are actually in there, except the subwoofer, just not powered. We didn't opt for FSD, but our car still has the AI computer board in it, just not activated. All camera's/sensors are included, even the cabin camera that has yet to be activated in any Tesla (I understand this one is for Tesla taxi scenarios). While the cameras help Tesla gather data toward FSD, the rest is all there should you wish at some time later to pay for the premium package or FSD (that I hear may also become a subscription based option).

Buying a Tesla is something very different.
Sponsored