Anyone transport e-bikes in bed vs on rack/hitch in their CT?

Djinndjinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models S
Country flag
We want to transport our two e-bikes ‘in‘ the CT when we get it.

1. Anyone transport their e-bikes in the CT bed without removing front wheels? what devices did you use to stabilize the bikes?

2. Anyone transport their bikes on an e-bike rack using the hitch? In this thread I saw with non e-bikes, said that the rear camera was blocked, which has me a bit worried since this is the only way to see what’s behind you when the tonneau is closed.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I transport to e-bikes on my Model Y on a e-bike rated hitch. Yes, the camera is upset and FSD won't work.

By the way, The Cybertruck has two side mirrors which provide the ability to see behind you.
How do you think that panel trucks and semis work? They don't have rear-view mirrors.

And if you have the bikes standing in the bed, the tonneau cover isn't going to be closed.

There are tie-downs on the bed floor and all sorts of fasteners sold by Tesla Tesla | Vehicle Accessories Cybertruck

OP
OP

Djinndjinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models S
Country flag
Thanks – it was that thread that actually prompted me to create this post. we don’t have quick release on our wheels, so need to somehow secure the bikes as a unit with both wheels on within the bed. Wasn’t sure if anybody had found a way to do this yet with straps, maybe even something like pipeline racks:

https://pipelineracks.com/collections/truck-bed-racks/electric-bike

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Thanks – it was that thread that actually prompted me to create this post. we don’t have quick release on our wheels, so need to somehow secure the bikes as a unit with both wheels on within the bed. Wasn’t sure if anybody had found a way to do this yet with straps, maybe even something like pipeline racks:

https://pipelineracks.com/collections/truck-bed-racks/electric-bike
Have you tested if you can have the bed outlets on while driving and charging?
Would be really cool if you could charge your ebike when driving to the trail, then on the way back fill your truck up at a supercharger.

Merle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS, 4Runner, Tundra, Lexus, R1200GSA, KTM, etc.
Country flag
Could just "throw it into the back" without bothering with tire removal. They're bikes... Even though they're heavy (Specialized Kenevo's)

On our MS, we have a Costco hitch that works just fine. No rear view camera and the USS going off unless you turn it off. Charging is interesting, so you gotta be careful backing up as you have maybe 1-2" of cable length before bumping into the poles and chargers.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Would be really cool if you could charge your ebike when driving to the trail, then on the way back fill your truck up at a supercharger.
It's expected to be a future option.

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model S LR, 2024 Cybertruck Foundation
Country flag
The outlets don’t work while charging at home, they may work while supercharging which depends on the rate.

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model S LR, 2024 Cybertruck Foundation
Country flag
We want to transport our two e-bikes ‘in‘ the CT when we get it.

1. Anyone transport their e-bikes in the CT bed without removing front wheels? what devices did you use to stabilize the bikes?

2. Anyone transport their bikes on an e-bike rack using the hitch? In this thread I saw with non e-bikes, said that the rear camera was blocked, which has me a bit worried since this is the only way to see what’s behind you when the tonneau is closed.
That is a e-bike on that rack. That is my truck and my bike.

Cars9to5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD Foundation Series
Country flag
I was able to fit a couple eMTBs (med frames) over the tailgate and angled them inwards to close the tonneau as much as possible. Drove about 300 miles like this in the rain. Can't comment on efficiency but our bags and stroller stayed dry against the cabin. You can easily stuff one in the bed and close the cover. The triangular volume works wonders.

Tesla Cybertruck Anyone transport e-bikes in bed vs on rack/hitch in their CT? 20240202_173145

Tesla Cybertruck Anyone transport e-bikes in bed vs on rack/hitch in their CT? 20240202_173155

Tesla Cybertruck Anyone transport e-bikes in bed vs on rack/hitch in their CT? 20240202_173145

CyberFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Could just "throw it into the back" without bothering with tire removal. They're bikes... Even though they're heavy (Specialized Kenevo's)

On our MS, we have a Costco hitch that works just fine. No rear view camera and the USS going off unless you turn it off. Charging is interesting, so you gotta be careful backing up as you have maybe 1-2" of cable length before bumping into the poles and chargers.
the question is could you throw 2 in the bed and still close the cover…

OP
OP

Djinndjinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models S
Country flag
Wow – low-tech, and very effective! Thanks for sharing. Although surprised that you didn’t put some type of protection cloth between the tonneau edge and the frame of the bikes to prevent scratches.

Did the bikes move around a lot when you made turns? Or did you strap them down somehow in the bed?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
The outlets don’t work while charging at home, they may work while supercharging which depends on the rate.
Kind of a pain, would be really nice if you could load your bikes up and charge them in the truck while the truck was charging overnight and be ready to go the next day. Hopefully they will fix that.

Merle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS, 4Runner, Tundra, Lexus, R1200GSA, KTM, etc.
Country flag
the question is could you throw 2 in the bed and still close the cover…
Why not? Bars in front and at a 90 degree mean a 30” max height because of wheels.

Makes little sense to treat a bike like a fragile thing.