John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Gold has value because it is shiny, does not corrode and conducts really well.

You think SS is corrosion resistant, wait until you see the gold instead of SS CT. Only for a slight upgrade cost.

Since I have large hands, I want to go back to pinching gold dust as payment.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really think I'm that stupid?

OP
OP

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
I have learned much from both JBee and Crissa. And Iā€™ve enjoyed many posts. It saddens me that personal disagreement distracts us from anticipating and celebrating our Cybertrucks. I am casting no blame, lest I get caught in the same storm I wish we could move beyond.

You are both rich with knowledge and experience. The forum would be better if we could celebrate our differences and continue to draw on all that you two have to share. In many ways you are both right, and thereā€™s something beyond being right: creative collaboration. Shall we focus on that?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really think I'm that stupid?
It's a little sarcastic, probably.

But yeah, value is a social concept. And it's all relative. The value of even innate features is all about what society puts to them. And different cultures and economies and times assigned different values to things.

At one time, aluminum was worth more than gold! That's why it caps the Washington Monument.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I have learned much from both JBee and Crissa. And Iā€™ve enjoyed many posts. It saddens me that personal disagreement distracts us from anticipating and celebrating our Cybertrucks. I am casting no blame, lest I get caught in the same storm I wish we could move beyond.

You are both rich with knowledge and experience. The forum would be better if we could celebrate our differences and continue to draw on all that you two have to share. In many ways you are both right, and thereā€™s something beyond being right: creative collaboration. Shall we focus on that?
Thanks, it's nice to be appreciated and get some feedback on if the effort is worth it.

I try to make my approach to "right", by just trying to be less wrong. There is always room for improvement, no matter what your name is, including me, and I enjoy conversation as a mental exercise, just reading, or with writing. I often get caught in the bipartisan cross fire though, although I personally abhor politics and associated media fed bias. Sometimes it's hard to find a decent amount of time to put some effort into the posts though.

I think we are in a unique position in history, where not only does it look possible to make life inter-planetary, but in doing so we can finally explore solutions where we can sustainably embed ourselves into an environment we can mostly control. That is not just a requirement for Mars, but also for here on Earth. It's not an easy task, and it won't happen quickly, but I really believe it is a worthwhile endeavor, so that by exploring our place in the solar system we also find the somewhere we belong. The CT and FSD will bring these closer, step by step.

I have a whole list here of people I want to send to Mars first...you know so they can try it out and give us some feedback on how it's like and what they're missing the most.... lol šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜‰

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No worries, Mate.
Tesla is past its heavy lifting brainiac phase. It also survived the BS&T(Blood,Sweat&Teslas) phase where it took brains to teardown and throw out what doesnā€™t work. Tesla emerged fully capable of spitting Teslas out fast as an OEM.
It just crowned a Gigafactory ā€machineā€ that pumps out Teslas faster than any OEM. You see where this is headedā€¦
Brain drain yes. But all those brains are built into every Tesla for it to be a success. Smarts, street and factory, remain in high demand to shepard the material, labor and pre-Teslas into machinery. BUT them smarts are not the textbook smarts that brains bring to invention, innovation and creativity. To solve beastly, gnarly predicaments takes truly street smarts meet factory smarts kinda wetware Brainiacs just donā€™t got! Respect those smarts every bit as much as Brainiacs. They will make Tesla!
How this man, EM, keeps getting the luck of the draw, Iā€™ll never know. But just when he needed to paredown hired brains a recession showed-up on the horizon. Itā€™s reared-up and bitten Tesla in the ass and EM feels it. Heā€™s smart enough to recognize it, see through it and take the fate of Tesla into his own hands - rather than absorb the losses. Elon chose the lose-win strategy to take the character assassination for being the bearer of bad news.
Tesla is in good capable hands.
I am not remotely concerned about this. Most companies can accommodate 10% workforce reductions by just holding off on new hiring with normal attrition. They need not lay off anyone. Then again, they might be sending a signal to some individuals that it is time to look for another job. I have been a part of several technical layoffs, when R&D was sent offshore, and the workforce reduction was layered with 10% layoffs in each layer. It sucked but it also opened up better opportunities for me that I would not have taken otherwise. I am not worried about Tesla's ability to secure bright minds. I do not care for the term 'brainiac'. It is a prejudice born out of ignorance.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What was this thread about again? I thought it was about the layoffs but now it is something else. Not uninteresting, just different.

Tesla was always going to have attrition to other companies that act less like startups (huge hours). I have a friend who just left Apple to go to Google. Similar values and work ethics but they said it was just time for a change. People in all walks of life change jobs. I do not know what the national average is but when I first entered the job market it was about 18 months. In my last gig I'd say that it was still about that. That is why I cannot be too concerned about technical people leaving Tesla. Others will come. I'd love to work there (if I weren't retired). Or SpaceX. The things they are doing are just too fascinating.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, moving from one project to another is not uncommon in the tech world.

A good company is always creating and utilizing and creating opportunities for people to find something interesting to do. Elon's description, however, was the toxic version.

Lastly... It's quite a privilege to ignore politics. One I don't have. I've been laid off, fired, and falsely accused due to discrimination. And if you ignore politics, you're enabling the most reactive, conservative sorts to choose the government. And that's how you get fascists - like the real kind, tho they start off as the mushy annoying kind.

Basically, the worst sorts win by making you give up on politics. Then they can pass their discriminatory laws and burn books and shovel money into their cronies' pockets while you're not looking.

-Crissa
Sponsored