lam@cocf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Occupation
stagehand, medical retirement
Country flag
OK. I thought the goal of a weight distribution hitch was to shift the tongue weight from the truck's rear axle to the front axle, but I don't know for sure. When the Cybertruck is rolling out, I'm sure they'll have a good idea what's the best setup for it to tow RVs.
I think it's to shift the pull point from the bumper to the frame.
Sponsored

PETE1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cynertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I don’t know what’s needed but I started down this path after seeing a Bruder trailer https://bruderx.com/brochure/ex-6/
Those be expensive but I see that there are air suspension kits you can get for trailers so that might be a better answer. Now to figure out how the hitch would work.
The main thing I like about air suspension for the trailer is being able to level easily so that it is easier to sleep/cook/etc.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I would think that a weight-distribution hitch has to do with the weight being pulled and how solid the connection is. I don't see how an adaptive air suspension system affects that?
A weight distribution hitch is designed to move some of the tongue weight to the trailer's axle. This is only useful in the situation where the trailer has a high enough tongue weight to cause the rear end of the tow vehicle to sag down (which is unsafe). A weight distribution hitch is not needed for a tow vehicle that has adaptive suspension or a stiff enough rear suspension to not be affected by the trailer's tongue weight. Cybertruck will not need a weight distribution hitch because the air suspension will level out the truck in the rear.

Rio

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Titan
Country flag
One way to make the trailer towable and as aerodynamic as possible is to make it similar to this design. The top lifts up when in use and lowers down while towing.

Tesla Cybertruck Camper Trailer Revolution? BAA0D48C-D679-4E2E-8342-B4FAA6E3A55D

Rio

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Titan
Country flag
The Bruder style suspension seam to be the way to go. This would give the trailer basically the same height adjustability as the cybertruck. One other great feature is the ability to raise one tire off the ground, say if it gets a flat so the trailer could be towed at speed to a better location to change it out.

Rio

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Titan
Country flag
I like the functionality of an open back trailer. Lots of light and great versatility. The “cybertrailer” could be used as a sort of mini toy hauler for bikes etc. Very easy to load and decreasing the need for bikes, kayaks etc. to be hung off the trailer compromising the aerodynamics. This design also allows for the trailer to be used for more than just camping.

Tesla Cybertruck Camper Trailer Revolution? E9E4900A-1ED5-4EDB-BAF9-A7BF162EC434

Tesla Cybertruck Camper Trailer Revolution? A9D22C9D-A234-40FD-9851-1A454346D014

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
A weight distribution hitch is designed to move some of the tongue weight to the trailer's axle. This is only useful in the situation where the trailer has a high enough tongue weight to cause the rear end of the tow vehicle to sag down (which is unsafe). A weight distribution hitch is not needed for a tow vehicle that has adaptive suspension or a stiff enough rear suspension to not be affected by the trailer's tongue weight. Cybertruck will not need a weight distribution hitch because the air suspension will level out the truck in the rear.
Even if you level the vehicle, that won't change the load on the front wheels which is the main reason for having a weight distribution hitch.

This video explains it well.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why didn't they measure the level of the trailer for the first demonstration? They just used the air stiffeners to mess up the level of the load.

You're not supposed to have the hitch at the wrong height, which is basically what they tested against.

Even I, who has only towed once, knows that.

-Crissa

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Why didn't they measure the level of the trailer for the first demonstration? They just used the air stiffeners to mess up the level of the load.

You're not supposed to have the hitch at the wrong height, which is basically what they tested against.

Even I, who has only towed once, knows that.

-Crissa
They were comparing airbags versus weight distribution. They used the first two measurements without the trailer and with the trailer as baselines.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One way to make the trailer towable and as aerodynamic as possible is to make it similar to this design. The top lifts up when in use and lowers down while towing.

BAA0D48C-D679-4E2E-8342-B4FAA6E3A55D.jpeg
That looks like a cool custom camper. One of the nicest designs for an enclosed trailer that I've seen is the Aerovault. It is designed to be aerodynamic, but is pretty low (designed to hold a car) and could not be converted to a camper. Well, maybe if they made the ceiling pop up higher or made a taller version. It's a very nice trailer, but also very expensive. Check it out https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/the-aerovault/

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even if you level the vehicle, that won't change the load on the front wheels which is the main reason for having a weight distribution hitch.

I wouldn't say that's the main reason, but you're right that I forgot to mention the load on the front wheels. That could be important for steering in rain or snow, or off-roading where you need good traction with all 4 wheels. But that's very dependent on the trailer and tongue weights, as well as the tow vehicle weight and wheelbase. We will have to wait and see what it will be like on the Cybertruck, but I don't foresee any issues because it's rear wheels are pretty far back, it's got a long wheelbase, and plenty of weight up front. Not to mention that it will have great traction control.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I wouldn't say that's the main reason, but you're right that I forgot to mention the load on the front wheels. That could be important for steering in rain or snow, or off-roading where you need good traction with all 4 wheels. But that's very dependent on the trailer and tongue weights, as well as the tow vehicle weight and wheelbase. We will have to wait and see what it will be like on the Cybertruck, but I don't foresee any issues because it's rear wheels are pretty far back, it's got a long wheelbase, and plenty of weight up front. Not to mention that it will have great traction control.
That is the main reason for weight distribution. Keeping more weight on the front wheels is very important for stability. Airbags leveling the vehicle does nothing for increasing stability, and will in fact, decrease stability. It only gives the vehicle its suspension travel back, and levels the trailer for even tire wear and max front and rear clearance.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
But they didn't, since they only did half of the job.

-Crissa
They did four
But they didn't, since they only did half of the job.

-Crissa
I am not sure what you mean. They measured it four ways.
1. Without a trailer.
2. With a trailer and no airbags and no weight distribution.
3. With the trailer and with airbags.
4. With the trailer with with weight distribution.

What else do you think they need to compare?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They skipped the step when they used the air stiffeners. They balanced the tongue before they changed the height of the truck, which changed the balance.

Which means of course the air stiffening failed,

-Crissa
Sponsored