Can the Cybertruck be kept outside?

• Total voters

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Should be fine after the first few weeks of all the lookers and touchers getting their fill while filling up your Sentry Mode media storage.
Sponsored

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT, ordered: 5-AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's the best part of using SS.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
There is a podcast called “Ride the Zlightning”, all about Tesla. The host had a DeLorian for years. This is what he had to say about stainless steel vehicle :

“Steel wool is made from mild steel that rusts readily. Using this on stainless steel embeds tiny particles of the mild steel into the stainless. It won't take long for the mild steel to rust causing your Cybertruck to look rusty. It also creates a chemical reaction that can cause pitting in the stainless. Many early DeLorean owners damaged their panels this way. The blending pads in the DeLorean kit are non-metallic scotch pads (gray color, 80 grit). They are for blending away minor scratches in the Delorean's brushed finish. Unless the CyberTruck has a similar brushed finish, I wouldn't use anything abrasive.

I just use a mild detergent and water with a soft microfiber cloth when I need to wash my DeLorean. I dry the panels right away to avoid water spots....this is very important.

Beware of the stainless polishes as they look great... for about 10 minutes. After that the polish attracts dust and then your maintenance efforts are useless.

Once a year or as necessary, I use BarKeepers Friend to remove stains and restore the brightness to the Stainless Steel panels. It's like a laser scrub for the panels. Stainless will develop a thin layer of oxidation. That's normal, and the layer protects the panel. BKF removes that oxidation and therefore leaves virgin stainless behind. Over time, that natural layer of oxidation returns. After many years or exposure to the weather, the stainless develops a dull appearance.

I have heard good things about Shiela Shine, which is similar to BKF, but I haven't used it.

Scotchbright pad to buff out minor scratches. Windex and microfiber cloth. NEVER steel wool, it will pit into the SS car metal and then rust (the steel wool). “

Trucks are made for the outside. Chill, people.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Trucks are made for the outside. Gas ones are. I have driven a truck all my life and always kept it outside. Of course the maintenance efforts was much higher that my cars parked in the garage and they still looked worn out in a few years. That being said, a Tesla needs to be inside due to charging. I want Elon to make it a little smaller so I can park and charge it inside and close the door. If he doesn't make it smaller, I will remodel the garage and add some square footage so I can keep it inside. I’m certainly not going to hand a charging cord out my house. By the way the summer temps here are 115+ so any car parked outside get destroyed. I keep all my collector cars inside My temp controlled Warehouse. My desert home has a 3 car garage for my Model S, and room for bikes and my Tesla Look golf carts. But I don’t like clutter So everything else goes inside cabinets. Coated floors for a clean look. If you haven’t owned a Tesla before, home charging is something to be carefully thought out.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ahh. That’s what I’m talking about.

Glen

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado
Country flag
Why would anyone hide such a nice thing! How about in front of the house. Yes! on the grass part. It might generate an interesting conversation with Wifey! ?

Doug McAllister

First Name
Douglas L McAllister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let me get this straight, if you keep all your shit inside and vehicles outside then shouldn’t the garage be called the shit house.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I like having my stuff in my garage as a workshop and my large vehicles outside. I usually only have one vehicle in the garage at a time if I even put one inside. For people who do most of their house repairs, vehicle repairs, and construction projects on their own; they probably have a large investment in tools. My entire collection of tools, along with larger equipment costs around the same amount as a mid tier new car and isn't really made to be left outside in rain or snow.

For people that don't really use their garage or they don't have a driveway and they live in the sort of condo that their only parking spot is their garage, it's reasonable to always have their vehicle in the garage. I would recommend to people that use their garage other things, to install a carport outside their garage if they are worried about rain, snow, or ice. Cheap ones can be under $1000 and there are some really nice ones for only a few thousand dollars. They also make for great DIY projects.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I pretty much only cover my car a couple times a year during specific storms. If it's going to be windy for several days or like last week, fire was in the forecast...

-Crissa

cyberforce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Mine is getting wrapped as soon as I get it... Overall not worried about it, but a vinyl wrap should help a little.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
You guys are silly.
Do you really think that one-Inch hail would do even slight damage to 3mm stainless steel or armor glass? I don't think it will. I think you'd need sledgehammers raining from the sky.

The only reason you would ever need to take your CT inside is in extreme cold, to preserve driving range. Cold does no damage to the long-term viability of the batteries. Maybe the rubber in the door seals and suspension bladders won't like extreme cold, but you're talking arctic temps.
Extreme heat can do long-term damage to the batteries and is far worse than cold for durability, but the batteries get hotter during normal use than the sun could possibly make them, so it's a maybe. You could take it under cover, if you wanted to.

The ONLY non-silly reason to wrap a CT is advertising. End of discussion.

Maybe you live downwind of a coal-burning power plant and get acid rain? Woops, they solved that one with exhaust scrubbers back in the 80's. (in most countries)

In salt mines they feel lucky if their trucks last a full year. Those guys are definitely buying more than a few CT's.
Sponsored