DanD

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trimotor
Country flag
Hello all! First post so apologies if this has been addressed. I have a trimotor with FSD reserved and I think i am about 1,100,000th in line if I read the spreadsheet correctly. The more I have thought about it, the more I am leaning toward saving the $8,000 for FSD and using it for accessories/options that I would use more often. No plans to do robotaxi or anything like that.
Is there any indication that I could remove the FSD driving option during final configuration? Or do I need to redo my preorder? Thanks!
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Hello all! First post so apologies if this has been addressed. I have a trimotor with FSD reserved and I think i am about 1,100,000th in line if I read the spreadsheet correctly. The more I have thought about it, the more I am leaning toward saving the $8,000 for FSD and using it for accessories/options that I would use more often. No plans to do robotaxi or anything like that.
Is there any indication that I could remove the FSD driving option during final configuration? Or do I need to redo my preorder? Thanks!
Before you take FSD off your order try reading up on the threads here about this. Especially from just before the price rose from 8k to 10k. There were multiple threads about FSD, putting it on/off your order, changing your order, etc.

Just a bit of advice from my take:

Leave FSD on your order for now. You already have a possible $2k benefit that will be lost if you remove it now. There is a future point when you will make a final decision about what specifically you want to pay for. Till that point there is no down side to keeping your $2k benefit.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, you are not liable for any of the cost until you finalize your order for delivery. And Tesla won't be doing that for nine months, at least. And then you have a month to answer them.

So don't touch your pre-order yet! There's no reason to. Maybe when your number is up, you'll feel different.

-Crissa

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
And, in spite of the hype, there is no way you are 1,100,000th in “line”... It may be here, even if they do start deliveries in a year, before you know it. I wouldn’t change a thing as you can configure later and do so then without other consequences, not to mention it’s possible that you get contacted “early” if you somehow fall into a place in the matrix that suits them... Happens a lot with the other vehicles.

Good luck in your decision!

Ăź

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Even as it is it is quite helpful on long trips. Just controlling speed and keeping the vehicle in lane means an appreciably more rested driver at the end of a few hours of highway travel. This works out best in light traffic as in heavy traffic you will be as nervous as if your wife were driving.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've found lane assist really helpful in heavy traffic. It does all the counting and pacing automatically so I can just check for deviations and movements of cars multiple spaces around me instead of just 1-2-3 counting the one car and my space cushion in front of me.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Why not wait until it is time to finalize your order? Besides the reasons listed above, which you don’t have to pay for yet, you may regret the decision later.

Right now you do not think you will be using FSD. That is now. What is it hurting you to keep it? In the time you are waiting for your truck you will get to see and hear what others have to say about CT and FSD. You could decide that it is something you do want or need. You cancel it now and instead of $8,000, you are then paying $10,000+. Elon said he think FSD will be worth $100,000. You want to take THAT bet? Got a spare $100K you don’t need? Not me.

Forget the added potential cost of getting it after you cancelled it now. What if your insurance gives you a big discount on having FSD? Would halving your insurance cost make you want FSD? A fourth? I keep a car for years and years. I drag them to the junkyard. Making my insurance drop a lot will pay for that initial cost of that option. (Got a big discount on my homeowners insurance because the new roof shingles have a lifetime warranty. Lowered the cost of insurance so much the extra shingles cost will pay for itself in less than 3 years.)

In the 2-5 years it may take for you to get your CT you are paying nothing for the potential option of FSD. What is your hurry to cancel something you are paying NOTHING for now? I understand that some others have no plans for buying it. Great. They did not order it and probably won’t regret their decision. You made the decision when you reserved your CT for some reason. What was the reason you did it? Test taking strategies say that your initial reaction to an answer is nearly always the right choice. You have a few years ahead of you before you need to make that choice. Sit back, relax. Read about it and what real world examples will have to say, what it does and what people say about it. Will they say it was a waste of money or better than sliced bread? We do not know. You can always cancel FSD before you confirm your order.

There is an old adage about investing in the stock market: Buy on rumor, sell on fact. So far you bought on the rumor. Cancel once you have some facts.

As Forest Gump says, “And that’s all I have to say about that.”

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Also, you are not liable for any of the cost until you finalize your order for delivery. And Tesla won't be doing that for nine months, at least. And then you have a month to answer them.

So don't touch your pre-order yet! There's no reason to. Maybe when your number is up, you'll feel different.

-Crissa
If the OP’s reservation is really that far out, by the time they get the order confirmation email the price of FSD might be $20K. Best to hold it for now.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Parrot, parrot, squak.

But also 8-10k is alot and if u dont think u will want/use the fsd,
Well you know yourself the best. Im ONLY getting it for potential future taxi use.

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
OP, like you, I'm seriously considering not getting FSD. I'm just having a hard time with paying so much for a feature that likely won't be road legal nation-wide (and, even if it is road legal, I'm concerned with how it will react to reckless drivers in a time where the overwhelming majority of drivers won't have such autonomous features). That said, I'm not canceling my FSD feature now as I could change my mind and it costs me nothing to keep it for the time being.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
OP, like you, I'm seriously considering not getting FSD. I'm just having a hard time with paying so much for a feature that likely won't be road legal nation-wide (and, even if it is road legal, I'm concerned with how it will react to reckless drivers in a time where the overwhelming majority of drivers won't have such autonomous features). That said, I'm not canceling my FSD feature now as I could change my mind and it costs me nothing to keep it for the time being.
I am quite confused by your remarks but certainly respect your right to choose what features you want in your truck. FSD is legal nation wide now. What isn’t legal is autonomous driving. You need to know the difference. It most certainly won’t be for several years, at least not nationwide. Driving with these technologies requires common sense and care; anyone that would blindly trust a machine to drive in New York City or LA, while watching a movie or sleeping, no matter what the law allows, probably shouldn’t be in a car at all. I believe that the technology will assist me and make driving easier and more pleasant for me, and that is worth the money for me.

Rox51Cyber

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cynertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
If the OP’s reservation is really that far out, by the time they get the order confirmation email the price of FSD might be $20K. Best to hold it for now.
I ordered FSD on my Tri-Motor. Does that mean I am locked into the $8K pricing as it has now increased to $10K?

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I am quite confused by your remarks but certainly respect your right to choose what features you want in your truck. FSD is legal nation wide now. What isn’t legal is autonomous driving. You need to know the difference. It most certainly won’t be for several years, at least not nationwide. Driving with these technologies requires common sense and care; anyone that would blindly trust a machine to drive in New York City or LA, while watching a movie or sleeping, no matter what the law allows, probably shouldn’t be in a car at all. I believe that the technology will assist me and make driving easier and more pleasant for me, and that is worth the money for me.
While I could have, perhaps, been clearer, I thought it was clear enough that I was referring to the actual utilization of FSD (i.e. autonomous driving) as opposed to merely owning the technology. This is why I wrote "road legal" and not just "legal." Indeed, if FSD wasn't legal, Tesla wouldn't be selling it. My point was that the use of FSD won't be legal nationwide for quite some time, which makes me question whether it makes sense to spend $7,500 on a feature that I likely won't be able to lawfully use for quite some time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...which makes me question whether it makes sense to spend $7,500 on a feature that I likely won't be able to lawfully use for quite some time.
Well, you aren't going to be able to have the Cybertruck for quite some time, either. But if you buy FSD, you'll be able to use the features as they're released/legalized. It's not illegal to use current released features in any state. Nor illegal to use it in parking lots and private property.

-Crissa
Sponsored