Car and Driver: It's Not Just Tesla: All Other Driver-Assist Systems Work without Drivers, Too

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Car and Driver did a side-by-side comparison of the various autonomous features in a bunch of manufacturers. Turns out that Tesla is not the worst-case scenario.

Sponsored

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Car and Driver did a side-by-side comparison of the various autonomous features in a bunch of manufacturers. Turns out that Tesla is not the worst-case scenario.

If they weren't putting other people in danger, I'd say just let them kill themselves. Natural selection and all that....

I'm mostly kidding, maybe.

It seems to me that Tesla is always scrutinized harder as the de-facto industry leader in autonomous driving. No competitor would dare admit it, but it's the truth.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I would prefer more comprehensive testing in all the capabilities. Example, while trying to cheat the system, have a small cardboard cutout of a dog enter the path ahead.

Any car that hits the dog picture will be ostracized.

btw, just shaved my lazy WFH beard, my face is cold.

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
If they weren't putting other people in danger, I'd say just let them kill themselves. Natural selection and all that....

I'm mostly kidding, maybe.

It seems to me that Tesla is always scrutinized harder as the de-facto industry leader in autonomous driving. No competitor would dare admit it, but it's the truth.
I’m with you.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Has anyone other than the folks inside the car ever been killed driving a Tesla on autopilot? Even doing it recklessly?

Not advocating it, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea that letting autopilot drive is as reckless as people make it out to be. I'd put it somewhere between things like "Eating while driving" and slightly below "Putting make up on while driving".

I interrupt autopilot often enough to where I don't remotely feel comfortable tuning out, but it's mostly for things like being too close to the yellow line on curves or not dodging road trash. I've never had an incident where I felt it was endangering others.

Not only is Tesla scrutinized more, but there is a huge double-standard. You look at reviews of BlueCruise and they can't stop slathering about how you can "Actually Drive with your hands off the wheel"... but there is no mention that Blue Cruise (and Super Cruise) is only on a very limited set of roads. Maybe if you live in LA or SF you have more than one freeway it works on. Here Blue Cruise is on highway 5 only. I guess if you want to spend all day long going north and south along 5... you are covered.

I use Autopilot almost daily all over the place. Heck not just the smaller highways around here, I use it on surface streets. It's super nice having the car keep the lane and maintain following distance for me on city streets.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I doubt Blue Cruise works in SF, to be honest.

-Crissa
I know for a fact that it doesn't work on the 10 between AZ and CA. I really wished for my model 3 that whole trip

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
That is like the easiest, widest, flattest pass leaving California. Why wouldn't it? Sheesh.

-Crissa
It may now, but all blue cruise does is lane keep and slow. It doesn't merge for you or overtake slow vehicles.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I drive this route regularly. I haven't driven it since adding the mis-named ripoff "FSD" subscription for my M3. Without that, it doesn't do lane changes alone either. Having used the fake FSD for close to a month now, I'm confident it would manage I-10 just great. It will do 17 VERY well in light traffic, but not well at all in very heavy, competitive traffic. Same in town.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I drive this route regularly. I haven't driven it since adding the mis-named ripoff "FSD" subscription for my M3. Without that, it doesn't do lane changes alone either. Having used the fake FSD for close to a month now, I'm confident it would manage I-10 just great. It will do 17 VERY well in light traffic, but not well at all in very heavy, competitive traffic. Same in town.
Strange, I use FSD on very busy, high-speed freeways all the time. I can't remember the last time I manually changed lanes in my M3.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A lot would depend on your tolerance for the car driving like an asshole. Mine does, and I also recognize that I want to drive carefully and predictably. I could let it do its thing, and it will FUNCTION and do the job. It will also do it in ways that nobody wants to see around them, and I don't want to be inside of.

On I-17 it was pretty scary because of the curves and the mistakes it would make when it couldn't see all the way through the curve. It also got stuck next to a left lane hog doing the speed up/slow down thing. One huge FSD failing is to predict which brand of moron you are dealing with, and beat them. The car just plodded along trying to get around this person but not doing it, for at least 7-10 miles before I just floored it and passed on the right.

It does excessive lane changes in some places with heavy traffic. I have my lane changes set to mild. It will sometimes just sit in a lane, and other times, like yesterday, do two lane changes to the left with less than two miles left from a right exit with very heavy congestion. WHAT?!? Then it can't get back.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
It does excessive lane changes in some places with heavy traffic. I have my lane changes set to mild.
Totally! I have noticed this, which is why I have lane change confirmation on all the time. It makes suggestions, but I have to confirm for it to proceed.
Definitely room for improvement, looking father ahead in multiple lanes.
Sponsored