A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You will note that one is displayed as 68° and the other as 024°. It is thus pretty clear that the first is a Fahrenheit temperature reading and the other a heading be it true or magnetic. And no, you won't have to caibrate it. If it is true heading it is coming from the GPS receiver when the speed is above a couple of miles an hour. When speed drops below that it will be from a magnetic sensor calibrated from the GPS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Pitch or roll? Why one without the other? But if it were it would be displayed as +24° or -24° or 24°L or 24°R. The third digit wouldn't be there as there is no point in displaying pitch (or roll) outside ±99°.

CyberDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Actually whether or not that is the pitch/roll, I think if Off-roading mode is selected, it would be a VERY USEFUL feature to have the pitch/roll displayed in huge lettering on the center of the screen, with some sort of warning when you are getting near the limit.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, actually it is. The inch, for example, is defined as 25.4000 mm and the °F as 5/9 of a Kelvin.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
That software was definitely a barely working beta for the release, I'm sure it will be in the same working condition as every other care already in production...
It would be nice to have a digital speedometer that emulates an analog speedometer. I think that would eliminate the issue.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
the stack of sheets on the leftside has me thinking "maps"?
...and the one above it could be navigate to or from?
I think you're sort of right. I knew I had seen that icon before! Check out the attached image of the right hand menu from Lucid Charts. Notice that the EXACT same icon is used for "layers" (a very common concept in CAD/Design software). Note that in my picture, the 3 layers are user defined, and I'm able to put any object in the the drawing in a layer. Then I can remove all objects in a layer by simply toggling it off. Right now on the Model 3, there are only 3 "layers" (Traffic, Superchargers, Satellite map data). And they are always displayed.

Perhaps in the CyberTruck there will be many more options for map display layers (At Mapquest we used to call them "POI" - Points Of Interest). Would be nice if you can say "turn on the layer for restaurants", etc. The Scion xB Apline GPS system had a similar function.

Tesla Cybertruck Clear look at Cybertruck touchscreen display UI showing functions and features Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 9.28.52 AM

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The way it works now map and satellite photo data are downloaded to the car. Those of you who don't currently own Teslas may not be aware that the maps are free but satellite photography (and traffic warnings and karaoke, and web browsing) cost $9.99 (US) per month. More to the point here if you are out in the boonies with no LTA you won't be able to download detailed map data, satellite photography or topo maps (were they available which currently they aren;t except, of course, on your smart phone, if it is connected). That doesn't mean that it is impossible to have topo maps in the woods. You could download them prior to departure. I think this may be what the cars do with maps if you plan (i.e.lay a trip into the navigation system) travel into a remote region but not sure.

This is another good idea that may not have popped up on Tesla's radar so I would suggest contacting Telsa. Tweet (or whatever it is he does all the time) Elon and suggest it.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I
The way it works now map and satellite photo data are downloaded to the car. Those of you who don't currently own Teslas may not be aware that the maps are free but satellite photography (and traffic warnings and karaoke, and web browsing) cost $9.99 (US) per month. More to the point here if you are out in the boonies with no LTA you won't be able to download detailed map data, satellite photography or topo maps (were they available which currently they aren;t except, of course, on your smart phone, if it is connected). That doesn't mean that it is impossible to have topo maps in the woods. You could download them prior to departure. I think this may be what the cars do with maps if you plan (i.e.lay a trip into the navigation system) travel into a remote region but not sure.

This is another good idea that may not have popped up on Tesla's radar so I would suggest contacting Telsa. Tweet (or whatever it is he does all the time) Elon and suggest it.
I ain't got no dang tesla, but when I saw those two symbols I thought they were the maps... since I do go in the woods a lot and tend to want to get back out.
So you're seriously telling me that I can't get google maps on that screen? I gotta pay for it, and worse, I got to pay monthly for it.
Well horseshit, Ten bucks a month!? Hell I can git drunk off of 10USD. I guess my first accessory will be a couple of coat hangers so I can hang my Ipad over the Tesla's IUD. ( Damn I can't help myself. Sometimes I have to twist a word to make me laugh. "IUD" Internet Use Device)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So you're seriously telling me that I can't get google maps on that screen?
Those of you who don't currently own Teslas may not be aware that the maps are free but satellite photography (and traffic warnings and karaoke, and web browsing) cost $9.99 (US) per month.
The $10 is for "Premium Connectivity" which includes satelite view, traffic advisories, intrernet, streaming and karaoke (who needs karaoke for "1000 bottles of beer on the wall"?)

Last edited:

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The $10 is for "Premium Connectivity" which includes traffic advisories, intrernet, streaming and karaoke (who needs karaoke for "1000 bottles of beer on the wall"?)
well OK then, I'll save the hangers just incase.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I

I ain't got no dang tesla, but when I saw those two symbols I thought they were the maps... since I do go in the woods a lot and tend to want to get back out.
So you're seriously telling me that I can't get google maps on that screen? I gotta pay for it, and worse, I got to pay monthly for it.
Well horseshit, Ten bucks a month!? Hell I can git drunk off of 10USD. I guess my first accessory will be a couple of coat hangers so I can hang my Ipad over the Tesla's IUD. ( Damn I can't help myself. Sometimes I have to twist a word to make me laugh. "IUD" Internet Use Device)
Our 2008 Scion xB had a (premium - we paid 2K extra) sound system by Alpine. That included a nice GPS display with maps navigation. There was no subscription/download service required. All the map data existed on a DVD that was loaded into the CPU unit (can't think of a better word for it, it was not the head unit). And while this meant there was no charge for getting map data, it also meant that by the time I sold the car after 11 years, that map data was 11 years out of date. Now, you COULD get an updated DVD, but the cost was $300 USD. That was the price in 2008, I'm sure it has gone up over the years.

The main point of this is.... THERE IS NEVER A FREE LUNCH. Either you pay monthly, or you pay in one big chunk to keep your data up to date.

Your google maps (and that is NOT what you get on Tesla), is only available because you have a paid internet connection at home, or paid cellphone service on your phone. And trust me, you are paying for the google map data, it's just not obvious how. :) Remember, if the service is "FREE", then YOU are the product. :)

PS. I don't know about you, but $10 USD only gets me drunk for about one night a month... :)