Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Data from my Model 3 LR RWD:

I charge 99.9% of the time at home. I have a Time of Use (TOU) plan from SoCal Edison which drops the price of my electricity use from 10pm-8am to 14 cents per Kilowatt hour.

If I were to charge from 0%-100% (which I never come close to doing) with the Model 3's 75kwh battery pack, it comes down to roughly 75 x $.14 = $10.50 for a full charge (320ish miles of range).
$10.5 / 320 miles = about $.03 per mile of driving.
Total cost of driving 320 miles (full charge) is $10.50

In comparison to my 03 Silverado which gets on average 15 mpg on a 26 gallon tank or ($.21 per mile @ $3.20 per gallon). The Model 3 is 7 times more efficient in cost of refueling/recharging.
Total cost of driving 390 miles (full tank) is $83.20

Another comparison is the 09 BMW 328i which I traded in for the Model 3. That car got on average of around 23mpg on a 16 gallon tank for a cost per mile of $.14/mile (@$3.20/gal) or 4.5 times more expensive than recharging the Model 3.
Total cost of driving 368 miles (full tank) is $51.20
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And gas price. Gas is $3.49/gal here. And while my additional EV charging would be a 31¢/kWh, and ICE maintenance is at $150 an hour at the cheapest...

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So, for me, I'm paying 31¢ a kilowatt hour at home.
Wow, Crissa, that is steep. Are you PG&E?

we are what, just 3 hours south of you (15 miles from the coast) and off-peak (midnight to 3 pm) is $0.14/kWh

Of course, largely offset by solar panels.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wow, Crissa, that is steep. Are you PG&E?

we are what, just 3 hours south of you (15 miles from the coast) and off-peak (midnight to 3 pm) is $0.14/kWh

Of course, largely offset by solar panels.
3CEnergy. I don't get to use time-of-day pricing because I don't have solar. I've been on the waiting list for a Power Wall, but they're still putting people with solar ahead of the line.

So my pricing is very worst-case. Well, unless you Supercharge during peak...

-Crissa

Wing Ed Lizard

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
software manager
Country flag
I planned a route with ABRP and with a cybertruck tri motor model. For instance the charge with from 36% to 76% ( 40% gain) and it cost $21 dollars. Projecting the numbers, a full charge would be $53. If $53 dollars is 500 miles, you get about 16 cents per mile when you use the Tesla superchargers.

Charging at home will be much cheaper.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Two things: What you do with it vastly changes where you're charging from and how fast you're consuming electricity.

So, for me, I'm paying 31¢ a kilowatt hour at home. What do you pay? How ften are you Supercharging? Superchargers will charge you the current (hourly) going rate for electricity in your area, which could be a three cents in Texas mid-day to seventy cents in San Diego during rush hour.

The estimate is a kilowatt will be from 3 miles to 2 miles driven depending on type of use. So let's use the 3 miles per kilowatt optimal. For me, that'll be about 10¢ per mile.

$2.50 gas at 20 MPG is 12.5¢ a mile. But that truck also needs oil and engine maintenance... Out here I spend a bundle - mechanics aren't cheap - tho oil is. But ever 10K or 15K miles I need that expensive mechanic to look it over or replace some weird fluid. I spend about $300 about every 5k miles. Let's say you get off cheap with $300/15000 miles. That's still 2¢ a mile on top of the gas. So 14.5¢ a mile.

My motorcycle costs about 2¢ a mile to operate.

I did some cute charts comparing these back in November:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...or-at-a-tesla-charging-station.286/post-30273

-Crissa
YIKES....its $0.05 per KwH here where i live. That is one of the reasons i have not gotten solar, there is no way it will pay for itself in 25 years.

4Axlift

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Tundra, Highlander, DR650
Occupation
Pipeline construction, Welding and Coating Inspector
Country flag
For now, it seems/appears cheap; the "bait and hook" are in the water. ONCE the PUPPETICIANS figure out how to tax it up, the ying-yang people will be snake-bitten then.
Your Correct Bait and Hook. The tax incentives, lack of highway road taxes. These are incentives to get a new industry off the ground. And once critical mass is reached, ICE vehicles become the minority and will not generate enough tax base to maintain the highways. The Incentives will go away. The government will start charging road tax on EVs. No one rides for free for long.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I dont know that this has been done yet but has anyone come up with the cost to drive a Tesla as compared to MPG at an average price per gallon?
Like if the average price per gallon was $2.50. And you average 20 MPG You go on a 200 mile round trip at a cost of $25. How much would it cost to do the same trip in your Tesla or maybe an estimate of the CT?
Wow, $2.50 a gallon for gas in Indiana? Estimated at 80 mpge I'd expect to pay under $2.00 in electricity charging at home.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Your Correct Bait and Hook. The tax incentives, lack of highway road taxes. These are incentives to get a new industry off the ground. And once critical mass is reached, ICE vehicles become the minority and will not generate enough tax base to maintain the highways. The Incentives will go away. The government will start charging road tax on EVs. No one rides for free for long.
True, and only fair. EV trucks are also heavy, which will be tough on roads, but in the end ICE vehicles suck on so many levels...pollution, maintenance, "fuel" cost, performance, not to mention the stink and noise. I'll be happy to pay some more with all the other benefits.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
you are lucky in the US, we pay ~$2 per liter.

Tesla Cybertruck Conversion cost to drive 1688971956948

I pay approx 25cents per kWh at home. Superchargers ~50 cents.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Good to compare these costs however the largest expense of ownership by far for avg miles/yr. Is depreciation.

To my surprise, Lowest cost vehicle I’ve owned was s G Wagon. , got 13 mpg. Had it 4 years and sold it for more than I paid for it.

Teslas have done great here with some of the lowest depreciation rates on the market
Sponsored