Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Not true. Top fuel dragsters hit like 4G's. Explaining how is a good engineering interview question.
uhhh..... Is true. "...dropped off a cliff..." is the operative phrase.

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm ok with the financial situation - would qualify for the $7.5k, barely - but also have plenty of cash for the beast. I just don't understand what the benefit is - beyond paying an effective $30k more for a faster 0-60 and 20 less miles of range. Just doesn't add up to me.
If you own a business or income that requires you to travel, consider the possible write offs.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
uhhh..... Is true. "...dropped off a cliff..." is the operative phrase.
Theoretically, If facing downwards with its wheels on the face of the cliff, the dragster could probably still accelerate down the face of the cliff at somewhat more than 1G. The thrust of the exhaust and the wing would give it force against the cliff wall and the wheels could then generate acceleration. Interesting physics question if it would be faster than it is on the horizontal.

Even if in free-fall (presuming the correct orientation could be maintained) the exhaust thrust would generate significant downwards acceleration.

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Theoretically, If facing downwards with its wheels on the face of the cliff, the dragster could probably still accelerate down the face of the cliff at somewhat more than 1G. The thrust of the exhaust and the wing would give it force against the cliff wall and the wheels could then generate acceleration. Interesting physics question if it would be faster than it is on the horizontal.

Even if in free-fall (presuming the correct orientation could be maintained) the exhaust thrust would generate significant downwards acceleration.
Now you're just jacking up my little joke.....

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No worries.

When my son was taking college physics the most helpful thing I did for him was to listen quietly while he explained it all to me again. The most helpful thing I did for myself was to pay careful attention to his explanations!

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Keep in mind based on the given specs on the website..

beast is 2.6 0-60 with rollout subtracted…so it prob more like 3 seconds 0-60.

dual is prob a real 4.1 0-60 …is 20k worth 1 second 0-60…which tbh you would never do launches to 60 because it’s just no where to do it unless a on ramp to freeway or some backroads. 4.1 is stupid fast already, which is as fast as my gf model 3 long range and she’s just as fast as my Model Y Performance because we’ve raced a lot and we are neck and neck to 60 every time.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Well it's a truck so in my opion, 0-60 is probably the least important thing and that is all that seperates it from the duel. I have a long range M3 that does 0-60 in <5 and for me that is pretty fast.

But if you have the money, need the presteige and want to contribute to Elon's charity- go for it.

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
If I parked a Beast in my garage, it would raise the value of my home by 50%
If the fridge had a Terry Black's BBQ dinner in it from last week in Austin, it would raise the value at least $74.39.

Thanks Gus. When you visit LA, the BBQ is on me.

Rick

Tesla Cybertruck Convince me to get the Cyberbeast... 20231129_180318

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
If the fridge had a Terry Black's BBQ dinner in it from last week in Austin, it would raise the value at least $74.39.

Thanks Gus. When you visit LA, the BBQ is on me.

Rick

20231129_180318.jpg
Looks OK. Ain't the Salt Lick.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
at some point, one must simply decide if Ricky Bobby is their spiritual guide and financial advisor
If yes, then the choice is clear
The only three good reasons to buy the Beast:
1. To blow past the coal rollers when they try and get past you.
2. You need the feeling of some extra mass in your pants. Its just physics. Everything loose in your pants feels more massive when you are pulling over 1G of forward acceleration.
3. You want to feel like Elon pissing away money. Its not $44 Billion, but the feeling relative to your net worth could come close.
Dual is the way to go. Stupid fast, better range, and savings of $7500. Not even a close decision.
Well it's a truck so in my opion, 0-60 is probably the least important thing and that is all that seperates it from the duel. I have a long range M3 that does 0-60 in <5 and for me that is pretty fast.

But if you have the money, need the presteige and want to contribute to Elon's charity- go for it.
I don't know about the rest of you, but it is kind of like this for me......
When you start getting addicted to aerobatics, you get addicted to the g's. First you do 3, then 4, then you try for 6, and you keep pushing your physical limits. Those that don't understand it make silly comments. And just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it has anything to do with the "mass in your pants". Same goes with sports cars and lateral g's, it can get addictive.

Not everyone is buying this to do "truck things". This truck, more than any other ever before, is going to attract people who have NEVER considered a truck, to cross over to a truck. Ask me how I know. And I've been around the block enough to have no concerns or worries about the "mass in my pants".

And it can be a close decision, and has nothing to do with prestige, or anyone's charity, There are those that have gotten very used to sub-5's, and driving something even faster can be a thrill. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. When you're in the car by yourself and the chance presents itself and you hit the pedal... Then you smile.

Same holds true for torque vectoring. it makes the CT handle more like a smaller sports car. That's attractive to those that are crossing over to a truck.

I think the general media, the pundits, the naysayers, and the "analysts" that can't seem to get it right, all think like the traditional mainstream population. EM and Tesla are erasing the traditional lane markers. Why sacrifice the utility of a truck to get a sports car? Why sacrifice the fun of a sports car to get the utility of a truck. Why sacrifice either to get a BEV? Don't limit the market just because they don't share your priorities.

@FarAway said it, for some of us have a harder decision than others...
Sponsored