First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Just a thought that is running around in my head :unsure::

Not all parts will be "stainless steel", hence EXOskeleton.

There will be lots of alluminum e.g. : battery structual casting ?, suspention, eventually internal (stamped) parts.
Even door hinges and other smale bits will most likely not be "corrosion proof"

Those dissimilar metals should be insulated against each other.
Just ask somebody with a boat in salt water.

I consider this to be a real challenge for the engineers. But I have confidence they will create a truly long lasting CT.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I would hope all glass in the Cybertruck comes with a lot of UV inhibitors/blockers. Not too mich of a problem where I am but for a vehicle we could drive for 20 years or more it will always pose a long term threat. Quicker in some parts of the world than others.
Inhibitors are not always enough. Especial in U.S. Southwest, Europe/Africa Mideast, Australia.

Even with tint, glass can be too hot for very sunny & hot locations.

There are a lot of complaints about the extra heat from glass roofs on Tesla cars.

Tesla sells a sunshade for the Model 3 roof:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-glass-roof-sunshade

So Tesla knows some owners think there is too much sun coming through at times.

Model S: Should you buy the all glass roof or sun roof?
** If you live in sunny & hot location there will be extra heating of interior
Jul 19, 2017
Sean Mitchell

Last edited:

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I have owned a 1994 Discovery 1 for 23 years, still have and still drive it. I never park in a garage, rarely wash but I do take care of it, a few years ago I had the seats and headliner completely redone. I have done so much work on the engine like when I found out the head gasket material used would start to leak coolant (1999) and head bolts were also updated.
I have had better and worse cars than my Disco but it does come down to maintenance, if you are vigilant and do the proper scheduled maintenance also to include a untimely failure like broken door handle. Most folks spend less money on their vehicle as it gets older and this makes sense if you don't plan on keeping it but if you have no replacement plan than keeping up on maintenance is paramount. My personal requirement from my vehicles is simple It has to be able to take me whereever I want to go safely and reliably. I think vehicles that are being used will suffer from problems from time to time and CT will be the same, it has coolant, a water pump and a reduction gear that will need a oil change. I hope I am right about the overal cost of required maintenance for CT is far less than my Disco and diesel truck. I also ride a 45 year old 2 stroke motorcycle and my two last rides were over 600 miles so CT with the lastest materials and serious commitment from Tesla I can't see how you could not own it for the time period you desire.
]
A man after my own heart! After my Hemi blew, I'm driving my antique 1993 Dodge Ram 150 pickup. Purrs like a kitten whilst I wait for my CT. Definitely a "beater", it gets me there and back reliably. I WILL garage my CT though.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
That is great to hear you put 93" Ram back in action, I think you are smart by using what you have to get by until your Cybertruck becomes a reality. I have a 1995 Ford F 150 that lost a head gasket, I will fix it and use it till the wheels are square ( my dad use to say that about his cars that he kept for years.) I am glad about one thing about my reservation number, I think my delivery date is in April of 2023. I have plenty of time to see the reviews and maybe a discovery is found on a minor issue with Cybertruck and Tesla will be resolve it by the time my truck arrives. I hope your 93' hangs in there till the arrival of Cybertruck.
Sponsored