Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Let’s see. The stainless steel exterior is going to get HOT to the touch in the sun but no worries about paint degradation since it has no exterior paint. This is one of my favorite features of the Cybertruck. No waxing, polishing, etc.
My tests on 3mm stainless have shown it wont get any hotter than a normal car.

Infact the stainless with no color on it is cooler than a dark color normal car
Sponsored

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
My Mazda 3 has sat outside nearly all its life and it looks new until you look at the wear in the front seats.

Of course, it's only been towed once: When it got hit while sitting in our parking enclosure. Damaged a wheel and it wasn't safe to drive.

-Crissa
Did someone hit and run your car?

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Did some hit and run your car?
It has been hit and run umm... four times? in its eight years. Once on the freeway, once by a dog, once in a parking lot, and once... while it sat at home.

Some guy delivering firewood was lost, stopped at the top of the hill, jumped out to look and let it roll away. It bounced off the embankment, smashed a bunch of tiling stone we'd had sitting next to the propane, up a retaining wall and the down onto poor smiley. Guy ran after his truck, then jumped in and raced off while I was getting my phone out.

When we get the Cybertruck, I will put a bollard there to protect it.

-Crissa

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
It has been hit and run umm... four times? in its eight years. Once on the freeway, once by a dog, once in a parking lot, and once... while it sat at home.

Some guy delivering firewood was lost, stopped at the top of the hill, jumped out to look and let it roll away. It bounced off the embankment, smashed a bunch of tiling stone we'd had sitting next to the propane, up a retaining wall and the down onto poor smiley. Guy ran after his truck, then jumped in and raced off while I was getting my phone out.

-Crissa
That is bad luck, Good thing no was standing around when the truck rolled freely. I had a Saab 900 I lost count how many times I got rear end in it, even my mom hit me in my driveway. My wife's car was the same way if it wasn't getting hit people loved to key the paint. Now days we don't have that problem but the deer and mountain sheep stand in the road way or walk rather slowly across the road. I spook them with my horn my wifes say's all it does is make the people who live nearby mad, I told it's better to be mad than have a deer carcass next to your mailbox. I hope your CT will be safe from a runaway wood truck in the furture.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, every time I said we got hit by a dog, people would give me this weird look, then I'd point at the bumper were it had clearly been torn off.

Stupid dog ran across the road at an intersection and hit the back-left corner panel and punched a hole in the bumper, Peeled it halfway off.

Dog was fine, I checked.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yeah, every time I said we got hit by a dog, people would give me this weird look, then I'd point at the bumper were it had clearly been torn off.

Stupid dog ran across the road at an intersection and hit the back-left corner panel and punched a hole in the bumper, Peeled it halfway off.

Dog was fine, I checked.

-Crissa
Interesting. I had a car that was hit and run by a dog once. Really surprised me. But the dog was gone before I could check on it’s condition.

To be clear I was driving, but the dog hit me. I did not hit the dog.

I was very surprised though and couldn’t even believe it for a little while.

Deleted member 5322

Upgrading it to a CT is one sort of EV conversion. LOL.

I actually have a 1950 Ford F1 wasting away in my backyard. It was my grandfather’s and I used to play in it as a kid. Oh the dreams of restoring it and converting to full electric. But the way things are going, it might just have to be converted to a CT.
Gift it to me, I will be happy to restore it and give it a second life!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
In a word, Rover 4x4’s self-destruct but do serve as worst-case examples. Tesla’s Cybertruck specifically can count on early adopters stress testing its designer and engineers assumptions.

Myself and scores of others have peppered this newsgroup for Tesla folks to peruse real-world auto mfg’r fails. I don’t expect Cybertruck will be perfect, just “exceptional“!

Exceptionally easy to repair failures in-the-field by design.
Exceptionally quick small parts availability.
Exceptionally helpful Customer-First vehicle service updates, recalls and manuals available to owners.
Exceptionally responsive to Gen1 CT inquiries, recommendations and safety notices.
Exceptionally timely OTA updates, upgrades and comparative fleet statistics like-for-like.
Lastly, the exception to Tesla prior behavior of OTA “ delete” of features, add-on software packages and hardware capabilities.

The last exception I want a Zero-Fault tolerance guarantee that CT can not and may never be “bricked” by Tesla wireless tech nor OTA. I had this happen in 104F degree Mojave desert heat 19 miles from civilization. That was the last VW owned and I had all my children in VW too.

Tesla Cybertruck is simply exceptional! Matched with exceptions above owners can fix 20% Tesla might have missed. It is about right to expect Tesla to deliver 80% right 1st Generation. Its not too much to expect Gen1 owners to deal with an issue, fix a problem or correct a defect given exceptional support to match an exceptional vehicle.

martinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton
Country flag
When you live in a hot climate you know that anything not made of metal is going to eventually get ruined by the sun. Car interiors are especially vulnerable because of the greenhouse effect with all of that glass. If you can't park your vehicle under shade, then a windscreen sun shade is a cheap and easy option.
The glass roof is my biggest concern and I am now thinking of building a shade sail over the driveway, to protect the interior of the CT through our hot summers.
The shade sail will also provide protection against most of the hail storms we get. Though not enough to stop the fist size hail stones that were penetrating tiled roofs down at Springfield a few weeks ago.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Cybertruck will be ...“exceptional“!

Exceptionally easy to repair failures in-the-field by design.
Exceptionally quick small parts availability.
Exceptionally helpful Customer-First vehicle service updates, recalls and manuals available to owners.
Exceptionally responsive to Gen1 CT inquiries, recommendations and safety notices.
Exceptionally timely OTA updates, upgrades and comparative fleet statistics like-for-like.
So completely unlike any of the other Tesla portfolio! I'm for that!

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Count me as one of those who is neither attracted nor repulsed by the Cybertruck design aesthetics. For many of us it is all about utility (capacities, facing the zombie apocalypse, etc.) and durability (stainless steel, bulletproof, etc.). But other than the exoskeleton and armor glass what exposed materials on the Cybertruck could erode in climates with extreme heat, cold, humidity or dryness?

My 15 year old Range Rover which has been ungaraged for the past five years in a tropical climate has a dashboard with dozens of cracks (yes I could have used a windshield sunshade), peeling headliners and a 3-time leaking sunroof due to rubber tube decay. With most of us expecting to keep our CTs outdoors and exposed to natural elements what maintenance issues could we expect from persistent climate extremes around the country?
Hi Dave, That's an amazing amount of environmental damage considering the age, and only the last five years ungaraged. My 23 year old Ford has some cracks in the plastic control covers for the cruise control on the steering wheel, but that's all, and it's never been garaged. I'm thinking the materials that went into your Rover might not have been of the highest quality. I sure hope the CT will hold up at least as well as my old Ford.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Count me as one of those who is neither attracted nor repulsed by the Cybertruck design aesthetics. For many of us it is all about utility (capacities, facing the zombie apocalypse, etc.) and durability (stainless steel, bulletproof, etc.). But other than the exoskeleton and armor glass what exposed materials on the Cybertruck could erode in climates with extreme heat, cold, humidity or dryness?

My 15 year old Range Rover which has been ungaraged for the past five years in a tropical climate has a dashboard with dozens of cracks (yes I could have used a windshield sunshade), peeling headliners and a 3-time leaking sunroof due to rubber tube decay. With most of us expecting to keep our CTs outdoors and exposed to natural elements what maintenance issues could we expect from persistent climate extremes around the country?
Our 2010 F-150 leaks a small amount of water down the A-pillar and into the cab since we brought it home new. Ford can't find the leak so it still leaks. It's just enough to get enough water inside to see and know it's not condensation. We park it outside all the time so it has a slightly musty truck smell (and has since the first several months we owned it).

I park my 2018 Model 3 outside in all kinds of weather and the cabin is nice and dry and still smells new inside.

The Cybertruck will be much more rigid than an F-150 so I doubt leaking will be a problem. Sun damage is a real problem with vehicles parked outside but I expect Tesla will have glass that controls UV and the heat from infrared solar energy very well to maintain high efficiency on hot sunny days (less load on the air-conditioner). This will also help protect the interior from sun damage. Dashboards take a real beating but it looks like recovering the Cybertruck dash after 10-15 years will be a pretty inexpensive job (assuming it even needed it).

I really think your concerns are a little overboard since all vehicles are designed to withstand the weather as well as modern automotive products and techniques reasonably can and Tesla certainly doesn't skimp on materials cost where it might matter.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

-Crissa
Is the Bollard to protect the Cybertruck or everyone else?

mikebrown666

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Sonic 2013, Chev Equinox 2014, Chev Camaro 1981
Occupation
construction/Quality Control
Country flag
I would hope all glass in the Cybertruck comes with a lot of UV inhibitors/blockers. Not too mich of a problem where I am but for a vehicle we could drive for 20 years or more it will always pose a long term threat. Quicker in some parts of the world than others.

OP
OP
dave1215

dave1215

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Porsche Cayman, Tesla Cybertruck reservation
Country flag
I would hope all glass in the Cybertruck comes with a lot of UV inhibitors/blockers. Not too mich of a problem where I am but for a vehicle we could drive for 20 years or more it will always pose a long term threat. Quicker in some parts of the world than others.
From your lips (keyboard) to Elon’s ears (inbox) ?
Sponsored