CT with a Harley-style modular interior?

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
So one thing that’s always bugged me about vehicles - it can be a giant project to repair simple interior pieces that get most of the daily wear and tear.

For example - I have a range rover suv. The interior is gorgeous. But - all the trim near high use areas get scratched, like the wood steering wheel, panels around cup holders and nooks for fobs, phones, etc. The cost to replace those parts is huge - and on top of it, there are a ton of switches/buttons RIGHT BY THE CUP HOLDERS. There will be spills, and now your important switches are sticky on the INSIDE. Fixing a sticky switch involves a major cost, as all kinds of things are connected underneath and taking it apart is a nightmare. And if you want to replace the leather seat covers? You’re looking at $2k per seat. For just the covers. Before installation. I cant imagine what it would cost to replace a steering wheel.

With the CT I know switches mostly wont be a problem, but scratches on high wear areas, leather seat covers, armrests, interior door panels, even the steering wheel...it would be great if they designed these to be easily replaced by the owner yet not sacrifice how solid they are secured. Would make for a great secondary market too, since you could just buy new high wear items and bam, your second hand CT looks factory new.

So - it would be nice if high wear areas were made to be replaced easily. I think both owners and Tesla would benefit from this, and it could open up new revenue opportunities with customized parts (e.g. harley davidson). I’m just a chimp, no desire to hack the brain of the car. But I can use a wrench and a screwdriver and would enjoy replacing - or modding - hard, dumb components if I didn’t have to rip apart everything (and likely void a warranty) to do so. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So one thing that’s always bugged me about vehicles - it can be a giant project to repair simple interior pieces that get most of the daily wear and tear.

For example - I have a range rover suv. The interior is gorgeous. But - all the trim near high use areas get scratched, like the wood steering wheel, panels around cup holders and nooks for fobs, phones, etc. The cost to replace those parts is huge - and on top of it, there are a ton of switches/buttons RIGHT BY THE CUP HOLDERS. There will be spills, and now your important switches are sticky on the INSIDE. Fixing a sticky switch involves a major cost, as all kinds of things are connected underneath and taking it apart is a nightmare. And if you want to replace the leather seat covers? You’re looking at $2k per seat. For just the covers. Before installation. I cant imagine what it would cost to replace a steering wheel.

With the CT I know switches mostly wont be a problem, but scratches on high wear areas, leather seat covers, armrests, interior door panels, even the steering wheel...it would be great if they designed these to be easily replaced by the owner yet not sacrifice how solid they are secured. Would make for a great secondary market too, since you could just buy new high wear items and bam, your second hand CT looks factory new.

So - it would be nice if high wear areas were made to be replaced easily. I think both owners and Tesla would benefit from this, and it could open up new revenue opportunities with customized parts (e.g. harley davidson). I’m just a chimp, no desire to hack the brain of the car. But I can use a wrench and a screwdriver and would enjoy replacing - or modding - hard, dumb components if I didn’t have to rip apart everything (and likely void a warranty) to do so. Thoughts?
Wonderful thought! Let's hope Elon reads this. For starters, get rid of the shiny, black plastic console.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, the seats at least did look modular.

And we're seeing the high-mileage commercial-use 3 and S es getting their interiors replaced. So Tesla does already have a process which will probably be more mature by the time anything in a Cybertruck wears out.

Modular is a good idea, though- lets you do things like have additional stalks for accessibility or options.

-Crissa
Sponsored